• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

T-Shirt order possible read more inside!

WantsToCarry

Don't get me started on the "blue field forward" flags worn on the right shoulder. That crap started when the Air Farce wanted to have flags on their planes appear to "flow", about the early to mid 1980s.

Okay, flag etiquette aside: I like the versions that properly show the straight line portions of the western and eastern borders vertically. The angled version is a bit more attractive and commonly recognized, but the truth is that both borders run due north.

Firstly, i get what your saying. As I was told when getting my job shirts done up and patch's put on, i should have the flag on the right shoulder, fire station patch on the left, and my flag should have the stars forward because "the stars never run" Is that similar to what your saying?

And thanks for the comments on the ideas so far. My feelings are bias because Ive made a few versions so far, so outside comments help.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Read US flag code. It violates US law to use a flag in such a manner. It is considered a disrespect to the flag to use it's likeness in such a manner. You're supposed to use blue white and red bunting for such a purpose.

Oh I have read it many times and defend the use of our flag vigorously; however, I see no black letter reading nor intent to prevent any such depiction just because someone thinks/feels it is a desecration.

The image used is similar to part of the American flag and surely leads one in that direction, but the image is qualitatively NOT our flag.

Would you consider it wrong for someone to display/show such a flag that had 15 stripes and a greater or lesser number of stars, and if I only showed part of it, how would you know?

More to the point:
The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, firefighters, police officers, and members of patriotic organizations.

I submit that MOCA is a patriotic organization. What could possibly be more patriotic than the Second Amendment and the defense thereof?

It is much easier to complain than it is to contribute in a positive, productive manner. Why not try your hand at the other and submit a design for consideration?

Last edited:

boyscout399

Oh I have read it many times and defend the use of our flag vigorously; however, I see no black letter reading nor intent to prevent any such depiction just because someone thinks/feels it is a desecration.

The image used is similar to part of the American flag and surely leads one in that direction, but the image is qualitatively NOT our flag.

Would you consider it wrong for someone to display/show such a flag that had 15 stripes and a greater or lesser number of stars, and if I only showed part of it, how would you know?

More to the point:
The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, firefighters, police officers, and members of patriotic organizations.

I submit that MOCA is a patriotic organization. What could possibly be more patriotic than the Second Amendment and the defense thereof?

It is much easier to complain than it is to contribute in a positive, productive manner. Why not try your hand at the other and submit a design for consideration?

I would argue that this is not a uniform, and that's not a patch, it would be screen printed on the shirt. This shirt is advertising our website...

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown

I'm sorry I'm fighting this so hard, but I feel very strongly about Flag Code and feel that it IS very offensive when it's broken, especially if it's KNOWINGLY broken. Whenever I see someone wearing a flag shirt I always comment to them about it's inappropriateness. This is what bunting is designed for. There should NEVER be a flag used to adorn someone except a casket. The flag is a sacred symbol of our country and it's respect should be great. Any even perceived disrespect should not be taken lightly.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

More to the point:

I would argue that this is not a uniform, and that's not a patch, it would be screen printed on the shirt. This shirt is advertising our website...

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown

I'm sorry I'm fighting this so hard, but I feel very strongly about Flag Code and feel that it IS very offensive when it's broken, especially if it's KNOWINGLY broken. Whenever I see someone wearing a flag shirt I always comment to them about it's inappropriateness. This is what bunting is designed for. There should NEVER be a flag used to adorn someone except a casket. The flag is a sacred symbol of our country and it's respect should be great. Any even perceived disrespect should not be taken lightly.

Repeat - this is NOT the flag. It is a depiction of part of it or something similar.
Remember the image is not of the flag any more than showing a blue background with stars is.

I have a heirloom quality quilt that has the flag on it in several locations. It is a very beautiful hand made item. It not only is displayed with pride, but used regularly in the winter to cover my legs. I do not bow my head in shame.

The Flag Code is essentially a guideline to promote respect for the flag. I do not see this as disrespectful in the least. If anything the image denotes pride and belief in the very tenants that the true flag should inspire.

boyscout399

Repeat - this is NOT the flag. It is a depiction of part of it or something similar.
Remember the image is not of the flag any more than showing a blue background with stars is.

I have a heirloom quality quilt that has the flag on it in several locations. It is a very beautiful hand made item. It not only is displayed with pride, but used regularly in the winter to cover my legs. I do not bow my head in shame.

The Flag Code is essentially a guideline to promote respect for the flag. I do not see this as disrespectful in the least. If anything the image denotes pride and belief in the very tenants that the true flag should inspire.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

Do you find this in violation?
hartsfabric_2153_18439435

or this?

Is it only if used together that such offense materializes?

If perhaps it is the flag of our county depicted, but you can't see it all - then what?

Our legislators have generally not been notoriously good at defining such things and yet you would hang your hat upon that pedestal.

As said before, why not try your hand at design work and submit your efforts?

Last edited:

boyscout399

Do you find this in violation?
hartsfabric_2153_18439435

or this?

Is it only if used together that such offense materializes?

If perhaps it is the flag of our county depicted, but you can't see it all - then what?

Our legislators have generally not been notoriously good at defining such things and yet you would hang your hat upon that pedestal.

As said before, why not try your hand at design work and submit your efforts?

blue, white, and red bunting is what is appropriate to use. It's defined in US Flag Code what is appropriate. So yes, using the Union Jack in an advertising role would be inappropriate. It's a defacement of the flag. Whether you agree with me or not I don't care. This is my conviction and I'm going to stand behind it. Flag code is important to me. My time in Boy Scouting has instilled these values in me and I will fight for them.

As far as submitting my own design, I don't feel I need to as I really like some of the designs submitted so far and have no real desire to change them up too much. I am also spending my time working on other MOCA projects and recovering from a recent major surgery.

Please do not read this as any disrespect to you or your opinion. You're entitled to yours just as much as I'm entitled to mine. I don't want this debate to get too heated or off topic.

I think that so far this design is the best we have and I like it a lot. Someone else commented that it should say IT'S, not ITS and that is a good correction. Also, perhaps shift the Real, Loaded, & It's Legal down and left slightly so that the right side aligns with the end of the top text or the eastern edge of the state... Dunno how that would look but it might be better...

moca3rbw.png

Last edited:

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
blue, white, and red bunting is what is appropriate to use. It's defined in US Flag Code what is appropriate. So yes, using the Union Jack in an advertising role would be inappropriate. It's a defacement of the flag. Whether you agree with me or not I don't care. This is my conviction and I'm going to stand behind it. Flag code is important to me. My time in Boy Scouting has instilled these values in me and I will fight for them.

As far as submitting my own design, I don't feel I need to as I really like some of the designs submitted so far and have no real desire to change them up too much. I am also spending my time working on other MOCA projects and recovering from a recent major surgery.

Please do not read this as any disrespect to you or your opinion. You're entitled to yours just as much as I'm entitled to mine. I don't want this debate to get too heated or off topic.

I think that so far this design is the best we have and I like it a lot. Someone else commented that it should say IT'S, not ITS and that is a good correction. Also, perhaps shift the Real, Loaded, & It's Legal down and left slightly so that the right side aligns with the end of the top text or the eastern edge of the state... Dunno how that would look but it might be better...

moca3rbw.png

I do like this as well, but I still think it's missing something. I'm not sure what though? I think that we have decent designs but I don't think that we have the design yet. Although, I am at a loss for what we should change?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

No disrespect taken nor intended - just a fair exchange of opinions.

With regard to its/it's - that verbiage could also be eliminated - does not precede the other two words now.

Good luck with the design efforts - trying to get a consensus is not unlike herding cats ..... somebody generally gets scratched in the process too.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think that we have decent designs but I don't think that we have the design yet. Although, I am at a loss for what we should change?

Try some "free range" thinking at don't be afraid to borrow from others.

Wonder what the above design would look like with the MOCA logo centered in the Maine outline?

WantsToCarry

I like it shane. It just goes back to the issue of screening it onto a shirt. Sure it will work alright on a white t shirt, but for the people (like me) who would like black, that may not work. i would DEFF buy that if it were a window decal tho!