• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas' 2nd Amendment Preservation Act is a lie

Jack House

HB 176 claims to nullify federal gun control. It nullifies federal requirements for tax stamps and registration. It makes it illegal for state and local law enforcement to enforce those federal laws. It even provides civil remedies.

It doesn't repeal Texas' own prohibition of NFA items. It leaves PC 46.05 intact.

It promises the moon and delivers nothing but fancy words.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Most pro-gunners themselves have been brainwashed into think that such legislation effects their rights.

People had, before the constitution was even made, the RKBA.

since9

Campaign Veteran
HB 176 claims to nullify federal gun control. It nullifies federal requirements for tax stamps and registration. It makes it illegal for state and local law enforcement to enforce those federal laws. It even provides civil remedies.

It doesn't repeal Texas' own prohibition of NFA items. It leaves PC 46.05 intact.

It promises the moon and delivers nothing but fancy words.

Did it ever intend to make NFA items legal? Or was its intent to do as it claims: nullify federal gun control?

It could also possibly be setting the stage for relaxation of Texas' own prohibition of NFA items in the future. After all, before you dig a pit near open water, you must first build the levee.

Jack House

But then comes the question, if it nullifies federal law then does it nullify the tax stamp?

The law either does nothing or strengthens gun control in Texas.

If it nullifies federal law then it probably nullifies the tax stamp exemption too, making it illegal to own an NFA item in Texas.

If they really wanted to do something they would have repealed 46.05 in the bill. But they didn't.

At best the bill is grandstanding and I do not support that B.S.

At worst it is backdoor gun control and I really do not support.