• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas officially has Open Carry

WalkingWolf

I don't really like crossdraw for a number of reasons. A forward cant with proper holster retention mechanisms and retention training would be plenty effective.

I like cross draw, especially when driving. It is sorta a necessity for me when carrying two OC revolvers. Plus cross draw makes a rear gun snatch difficult, add to that if a fixed blade is the backup, most sheaths are designed for right hand. I am stronger, and can stab much more efficiently with my strong hand, while my weak and and body position protects the gun.

As far as retention holsters, they only work if the crook does not know how they operate. If you are using a Serpa, or similar, most everybody knows how they work. Not to mention I do not put myself in those situations in the first place. IF someone is going to do a snatch they are most likely to do it from behind.

That said if I am not driving I usually carry strong side, and use my SA to guard against the unicorn gun snatch.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
..Not to mention I do not put myself in those situations in the first place..

That we can both agree on. No matter what way you carry, situational awareness will protect you more than anything. I also agree that cross draw would be much easier in a vehicle as far as ability to draw.

Bucko

Congrats to Texas

Why don't some people get that the 4th amendment is suppose to protect you from things like this? You are supposed to be presumed innocent. Grr news

I'm from the free (for now) State of Arizona. I open carry all the time. See the "Shoulder Holster" post under gear for a pic of the twins I carry every day. Anyway, it seems to me based on the language in your new open carry law that you would want an ID holder hanging from your neck with your picture id and your CCW permit. It would make any "Check" by a LEO go much faster and much smoother. Just a thought. I see the potential of what happened in California happening in Texas before they outlawed open carry there, LEO's stopping people to check them. Yes, in CA it was to make sure there was no round in the chamber. In Texas it will be if you are properly permitted.

I'm glad your state is making progress. And yes, I believe that anyone carrying a gun should have safety training. It is nice that in AZ we don't need any state issued permit to carry either openly or concealed.

Again, congrats on your progress in this area.

nonameisgood

I'm from the free (for now) State of Arizona. I open carry all the time. See the "Shoulder Holster" post under gear for a pic of the twins I carry every day. Anyway, it seems to me based on the language in your new open carry law that you would want an ID holder hanging from your neck with your picture id and your CCW permit. It would make any "Check" by a LEO go much faster and much smoother. Just a thought. I see the potential of what happened in California happening in Texas before they outlawed open carry there, LEO's stopping people to check them. Yes, in CA it was to make sure there was no round in the chamber. In Texas it will be if you are properly permitted.

No. That is the simple answer. The legislative intent was established on the floor of the Senate and House during the debate. They made certain to record these discussions in the record in order to explicitly establish legislative intent. Case law and state law already prohibit officers from stopping people solely to determine if they have a License to Carry a Handgun (formerly a CHL.) It will be abused by some departments and officers, but it has been predicted that a series of lawsuits (particularly in Austin) will quickly squelch that behavior.

canvasbck

OK, I don't normally stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve, but this year will be an exception. I plan on stepping into a public restroom with my pistol concealed underneath an untucked shirt at 11:59 pm. While in the restroom, I'll be tucking in that shirt and emerging as a legal OCer :monkey (making sure that it is 12:01).

Last edited:

qednick

OK, I don't normally stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve, but this year will be an exception. I plan on stepping into a public restroom with my pistol concealed underneath an untucked shirt at 11:59 pm. While in the restroom, I'll be tucking in that shirt and emerging as a legal OCer :monkey (making sure that it is 12:01).

I'll be doing the same thing except I'm going to make sure it's 12:00:01 :)

nonameisgood

New Years Eve unveiling

Take off your sports coat/smoking jacket/tux coat after the midnight kiss. Or be daring and reveal early in order to attract the right person to kiss, if you're otherwise uncommitted.

Walmart will probably be filled with people making their first OC walk on New Years Day.

nonameisgood

Nothing on his Twitter feed about it. Wonder if he will let it pass with signature. Not likely.

I think tomorrow is that day.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

a50c4fe13d45ffd33a065592eb58cd76.jpg

He has obviously been busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Texas governor straddling the fence? Trying to protect his image with all neighbors?

That's gotta be an uncomfortable position.

gater308

This is not exactly correct

Sometime in the next 9 days. If he doesn't sign or veto by then it automatically becomes law.

Normally I would agree with you on this. However in Texas a special circumstance exists. "If a bill is sent to the governor within 10 days of final adjournment, the
governor has until 20 days after final adjournment to sign the bill, veto it, or allow it to become law without a signature."

This can be found here. http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/pubslegref/gtli.pdf#page=14

Now if this is correct, the governor can still veto this for 9 more days. Since HB910 was sent to the Governor on June 1st (the last day of session) he can sit on it for 20 days before it becomes law.

nonameisgood

They probably have an even scheduled to sign these on the last possible day. Seems to be that he has an event each day associated with significant legislation.

gater308

I hope you are right

I do not trust anything until i see it actually happen. Knowing Abbott, It would not surprise me if he waited until the 19th or 20th day and then vetoed it. I hope i am wrong but stranger things have happened by politicians. I mean he sent out a tweet about how great it was that it's next stop was his desk. My question is why didn't he sign it on the 2nd? Why the wait.
I am not normally a pessimist, but it just seems strange to me that he hasn't signed it yet. For now we wait.....

HPmatt

Nice to have a new governor every 20 years or so. Guarantee a politician does take a lollipop away from 1 million voters he just gave it to....

bushwacker

The worst reactions come from blacks not sure why. I think they equate gun ownership with opression maybe? I get "are you a cop" alot from people too. Enjoy your open carry Texans but remember to be extra aware of your surroundings. I've had some idiots actually come up behind me and try to jiggle the grip of my holstered gun thinking its funny.

see if it is a crime to grab someones gun ,then try keeping your gun wiped down so to catch those prints and hope there is security video around have the cops called ,
yeah I got this stooge at the Atlanta petro calling me wild wild west , I think that is gonna stop next he tries or I will let his main office know why I am not spending hundreds of dollars pre visit anymore.....(7 minutes later) looks like I am headed to that petro now

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
I got this stooge at the Atlanta petro calling me wild wild west , I think that is gonna stop next he tries or I will let his main office know why I am not spending hundreds of dollars pre visit anymore.....(7 minutes later) looks like I am headed to that petro now

There was actually much less violence in the wild west.........and almost everyone open carried.