• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The answer that most CC'ers give in opposition to OC

IdahoOpenCarry

When I man our Idaho Open Carry booth at various shows, I find myself debating many CC'ers who oppose OC. Their most common response is, "It makes people feel uncomfortable."
My answer to them is, "How do you know?" The truth of the matter is that "THEY" feel uncomfortable with OC. They are "gun shy!" Even though Open Carry is the most beautiful, bold representation of the 2nd Amendment, they refuse to participate with excuses that just don't wash.
Everyone has heard this one, "It makes you a target for the BG's." There is no recorded evidence that an OC'er has been targeted by a BG. The the excuse is bogus and reveals that they are afraid of a BG ghost that doesn't exist.
And the most ridiculous excuse given by opponents is, "OC'ers are just posturing."
The best answer to "posturing" was written byNavyLCDR in the USACarry.com forum, taking a portion of his response from the dictionary.
pos-ture
1.a. A position of the body or of body parts: a sitting posture.
b. An attitude; a pose: assumed a posture of angry defiance.
2. A Characteristic way of bearing one's body; carriage: stood with good posture.
3. Relative placement or arrangement; the posture of the buildings on the land.
4. A stance or disposition with regard to something: "Those bases are essentially to our military posture in the Middle East" (Gerard Smith).
5. A frame of mind affecting one's thoughts or behavior; an overall attitude.

NavyLCDR goes on to say, "Open carry makes a visible statement to the criminal, and whoever else wants to observe it, that I am not going to be and easy and defenseless target for criminal activity. Nothing wrong or evil about that at all.

By the way, I am angrily defiant. I am angry that criminals have been given free reign to do whatever the hell they want to in this country with little hindrance. I simply choose to provide that hindrance to their actions.

I choose to engage in an active deterrence to crime, rather than passively possess the means to defend myself against a criminal who has already utilized their "element of surprise" to gain the upper hand prompting the need for defensive action."

End of quote by NavyLCDR

Open Carry is public relations for the 2nd Amendment. Be a good ambassador.
Visit our forum at IdahoOpenCarry.org
Tony@IdahoOpenCarry.org
Only the Good Guys (and Girls) Open Carry

Last edited:

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
when I would work dallas gun shows handing out open carry literature, the majority of people I would talk to that disagreed with OC had to deal with 'elitism'.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
OC is not embraced by the masses because, among other reasons, it is an activity that (generally) does not require government permission. Those that OC are thus truely free, and that mightily annoys those who are not willing to stand up and asert their freedom.

It also scares those who, like the hoplophobes, fear what they might do in other areas if they asserted their freedom. Instead, they project both their own fears and the rationalizations against OC to keep from expressing freedom in any aspect of their lives.

stay safe.

sawah

When you read the Defensive/CC carry forums, CC-ers get all hot and bothered taking their gun, under two layers of clothing in a walk through Wally World. There's more than one who has reported on having done a concealed walk-through successfully (wut?).

Besides the people who go to Wal&mart being so darn strange that people are busy looking at them, the firearm is hidden, non-visible, concealed, sheltered from view. It's like taking an invisible dog to the dog-park and exchanging high fives afterwards with other non-dog walkers. :)

Last edited:

nobama

When you read the Defensive/CC carry forums, CC-ers get all hot and bothered taking their gun, under two layers of clothing in a walk through Wally World. There's more than one who has reported on having done a concealed walk-through successfully (wut?).

Besides the people who go to Wal&mart being so darn strange that people are busy looking at them, the firearm is hidden, non-visible, concealed, sheltered from view. It's like taking an invisible dog to the dog-park and exchanging high fives afterwards with other non-dog walkers. :)

Your kidding right? (WUT?) is right.

sawah

Your kidding right? (WUT?) is right.

Go to Defensive Carry dot Com and search Walmart Walk, conceal carry walmart and read and be amused.

For example: (no links)
"have-you-ever-wondered-if-wallyworlds-employes-know.html" (story of new CHL and walking in Wal&mart checking nervously to see if they're printing).
"What is the Wally World Walk exactly?"
"Wal&mart Walk: A Pictorial Journey"

I don't mean to make fun. I'm sure it's a thrill for 40 year old (handgun) virgins.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
About two years ago, I was in a local grocery store rambling through the produce section when a little elderly lady saw my sidearm and asked, "Is that a gun?" (or something very close to that... may have been, "Is that a real gun?"). I decided to answer with a friendly, comical response and said, "Gee I hope so, otherwise I picked up the wrong thing". She, in her rather strong New England accent, said that she was afraid of people with guns. That's when I asked her, "How do you feel when you're around police? Are you afraid of them?". She didn't know quite how to answer that and stumbled a bit with her words.

I find it queer and a bit strange that people would be afraid of a citizen peacefully carrying a sidearm, but very comfortable with police doing it. I know the reasons but I do find it odd.

FTG-05

"OCers will be the first to be shot."
"OCers are attention whores."
"OCers will have their gun taken."
"OCers will be hassled by police."

And last but not least:
"I (CCers) want the element of "surprise"."

Basically, what it all comes down to, IMO, is fear. They're afraid to carry openly. Which is fine. I've done it about a dozen times and I'm still not comfortable - it is intimidating to walk around openly carrying a firearm. Being afraid to carry openly is ok, but at least they could be honest about it, not trying to cover it up with excuses as listed above.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
"OCers will be the first to be shot."
We have not seen this to be the case. Yes there was one but one out of how many?? Statistically it is not an issue.

"OCers are attention whores."
I will grant that some fall into this category. We see them posting on youtube. But those are in the minority I would bet.

"OCers will have their gun taken."
Again, no rush to this taking place.

"OCers will be hassled by police."
Yes, this has certainly happened and it's usually in the fence sitting states (those where the demographics tend not to be so friendly to guns and gun people in general). Educating the local police is the best way to reduce this.

And last but not least:
"I (CCers) want the element of 'surprise'."
Someone who CC's, and I'm sure most OC'ers do CC from time to time, looks just like the rest of the public at large since their gun is hidden. To a perp, they are as much of a target as anyone else. The thing a lot of CC'ers tend to overlook, forget, or ignore is that an attack can happen VERY quickly and many times I would bet quickly enough that the victim hasn't the time to draw his weapon and use it.

My own personal take is that I support both methods of carry and view them as personal choices, where such is available by law, and where having a gun with you is better than having none at all on your person. I don't have a bias because I do view this as a person decision. What I do find curious is that while all of the OC'ers I have met support concealed carry whereas a number of CC'ers I have met and have read on websites are strongly biased, read that as prejudiced, against those who choose to OC. One would think we're all in the same boat but it appears that only half of us are on board.

Last edited:

Brion

Guy in a walmart said to me "I like it out of sight, out of mind."

I said "I like it in sight, on your mind."

He left.

Truckdriver1975

I recently had a friendly debate with my dad about OC v CC. I personally support and practice both. He has the usual arguments such as making yourself a target, being the first one shot, someone will sneak up behind you and grab your gun. I told him that in any of those situations the problem would be solved if multiple people were OCing. That would be a very bold BG to take on several OCers at once. He agreed with my point but still doesn't want the looks and attention. While I don't like the looks and attention either, I'm starting to OC more to try to overcome my self-consciousness.

G30Mike

My dad also asked "what if someone tries to grab it?"
I invited him to give it a try...he respectfully declined. I think then and there he realized that my holster keeps it in there pretty well and he'd get a few punches and elbows to the head before he could get it out. He doesn't carry a gun at all and the only pistols he's ever shot were mine. Also his girlfriend is a hippie libtard that HATES guns. She about had a coniption fit when she saw myself, my sister, and my girlfriend all OCing during Christmas. The look on her face was priceless. Then I showed my dad my AR, she left the room....
My aunt is a CCer and strongly opposed me OCing. She's one of the ones that likes the "element of surprise". She accused me of having a "don't F with me attitude" the way I carry. I informed her that yes I do have that attitude to a certain extent, I want to let the criminals know I don't want to be Fd with. She hasn't said anything to me about it since.

sawah

I was in the store today getting the last of our groceries loaded up when a lady with one of those ginormous long carts with baby in it tried to push past me, around someone stopped in her 'lane'. She looked and saw that she'd have to run into my leg to get by but unable to wait 20 seconds she rammed me in the leg. I said 'Oh so you couldn't wait and just had to run into my leg?'. She just kept going. I thought to myself, 'I bet if I had my gun exposed she'd have thought twice about ramming me in the leg with her freaking cart'. /fume

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I was in the store today getting the last of our groceries loaded up when a lady with one of those ginormous long carts with baby in it tried to push past me, around someone stopped in her 'lane'. She looked and saw that she'd have to run into my leg to get by but unable to wait 20 seconds she rammed me in the leg. I said 'Oh so you couldn't wait and just had to run into my leg?'. She just kept going. I thought to myself, 'I bet if I had my gun exposed she'd have thought twice about ramming me in the leg with her freaking cart'. /fume

If there were no children in the cart - you dump her cart over onto the ground. If there were children in the cart - you dump her cart over onto the ground lol, no really though, take a handful of **** from her cart and just throw it on the floor, ask her if she is mad, then sing the trolololol song as you dance off.

Last edited:

sawah

If there were no children in the cart - you dump her cart over onto the ground. If there were children in the cart - you dump her cart over onto the ground lol, no really though, take a handful of **** from her cart and just throw it on the floor, ask her if she is mad, then sing the trolololol song as you dance off.

Well, at first I wished I had done more and then I tried not to let it get to me but I failed and fumed the whole drive home. It wasn't pleasant and it was difficult to master that feeling. In the store I kept looking to my 6 to make sure I wasn't going to be run into, but I must have looked away at precisely the moment she rolled up. Having a childish reaction wouldn't have made me feel better, I don't think. I don't know what people are thinking when they do that. It's like there's a lemming response to 'get to the car and run over anyone in the way'.

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
ask her if "she mad", then sing the trolololol song as you dance off.

you_mad2.jpg

Troll_84a3d1_1327061.gif

Daylen

WTF? What forums are you reading? basementdwellersconcealedcarry.net?