• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Arizona Daily Star, at it again.

PavePusher

Spewing inaccuracies, libel and lies as truth and "reasonableness".

Gun laws, access and background checks must be re-examined

Just ask any Arizona ranch family: They'll tell you that their guns are important, useful tools.

Ask any sportsman, and you'll get the same answer-and furthermore, you'll be told that using firearms for responsible hunting, recreational target shooting or in other sporting ways is fun. Yes, fun.

You won't get any debate from us about these facts, and they are facts.

Nor will we quibble over the fact that our national relationship with firearms has deep and abiding cultural and historical roots. Americans value their right to keep and bear arms; any effort to abridge that right faces fierce opposition - and rightly so.

But what's also unquestionably true is that guns in the wrong hands are lethal, and that too many dangerous or irresponsible people can easily acquire and misuse them in this country.

http://azstarnet.com/news/opinion/editorial/article_20c93c0f-2b64-5ed7-8ee0-010aa4c44097.html

No gun owner needs 30 rounds in a magazine

"I guess the one thing that I can't get through my mind, even though I'm a hunter and I love to shoot a gun, I love to have my gun. I don't have a Glock or whatever it is. I don't have a magazine with 33 bullets in it.

"That doesn't make sense for me, to be able to sell those kinds of things. ... What reason is there to have those kinds of guns, other than to kill people? I just don't understand that."

- Dallas Green, grandfather of 9-year-old Christina-Taylor Green, who was killed in the Jan. 8 Tucson shooting.

Christina-Taylor Green's killer carried a 9 mm Glock 19 semiautomatic handgun with one bullet chambered and 30 more in an extended-capacity ammunition magazine.

He emptied the gun in about 30 seconds. Thirty seconds - to kill six people and wound 13. The carnage ended only when the killer stopped to reload and bystanders wrestled him to the ground and disarmed him.

Jared Lee Loughner, who is accused in the killings, bought both a lethal handgun and extended-capacity magazines legally.

That must change. From 1994 until 2004, when a federal ban on military-style assault weapons was allowed to expire, such supersized magazines were outlawed. That ban should be reinstated.

http://azstarnet.com/news/opinion/editorial/article_89209166-5107-5d53-99a5-76e5e5b24938.html

And it looks like they will be doing a series of these articles this week. Sigh.

Grimes

Last edited:

azcdlfred

At the end, they have the audacity to quote the 2nd amendment while the entire article is about restricting guns.
I guess they never learned that The Second Amendment of the US Constitution has nothing to do with Arizona gun laws.

We're governed by Article 2, Section 26 of the Arizona Constitution. When we push for improvements to Arizona's gun laws, the Second Amendment doesn't matter one bit. However, virtually all of those opposed to our bills (including some who call themselves gun owners) always start their statement with "I believe in the Second Amendment, but....."

Fred

Last edited:

Grimes

I guess they never learned that The Second Amendment of the US Constitution has nothing to do with Arizona gun laws.

We're governed by Article 2, Section 26 of the Arizona Constitution. When we push for improvements to Arizona's gun laws, the Second Amendment doesn't matter one bit. However, virtually all of those opposed to our bills (including some who call themselves gun owners) always start their statement with "I believe in the Second Amendment, but....."

Fred

That is very true Fred. Not many people know that the Arizona Constitution gives us the right in this state.

We all appreciate all the work you all have done for Arizona. I will be joining AZCDL as soon as funds allow.

Last edited:

March Hare

That is very true Fred. Not many people know that the Arizona Constitution gives us the right in this state.

We all appreciate all the work you all have done for Arizona. I will be joining AZCDL as soon as funds allow.

Actually, it doesn't give us anything, it guarantees that the preexisting right won't be infringed upon.

I second your appreciation for everything AZCDL has and is doing for the people of Arizona.

Keep up the great work Fred!

-MH

Grimes

Actually, it doesn't give us anything, it guarantees that the preexisting right won't be infringed upon.

I second your appreciation for everything AZCDL has and is doing for the people of Arizona.

Keep up the great work Fred!

-MH

Haha, that's what I meant.