• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The dreadful wait..

pawn99

I just left the courthouse and filed my cpl! And i also just got my prints done at my local sheriff dept! My county gun bored meets on the 13th of this month. So im hoping it doesn't take long until i finally get it in the mail. But the wait has already set in haha

FreeInAZ

Congrats! Shouldn't be too long, I hope. Atleast you don't live in Wayne Co. Where you may receive a CPL in as little as a month (but it is not in "their" computer system) or wait for six month's (no rhyme or reason...just is the "D" way???). Gun board is a silly affair if you ask me, just answer that you want the permit to carry concealed for your protection. If they seem to hesitate just throw in that you're trying to avoid having to OPEN CARRY all over the state. That motivates them ;) . They hate that "open carry law" :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

wizzi01

Congrats! Shouldn't be too long, I hope. Atleast you don't live in Wayne Co. Where you may receive a CPL in as little as a month (but it is not in "their" computer system) or wait for six month's (no rhyme or reason...just is the "D" way???). Gun board is a silly affair if you ask me, just answer that you want the permit to carry concealed for your protection. If they seem to hesitate just throw in that you're trying to avoid having to OPEN CARRY all over the state. That motivates them ;) . They hate that "open carry law" :rolleyes:.

Yeah I know. Even my renewal took 3 months.

xmanhockey7

Congrats. I just got my CPL at the end of June. So nice to have it after only being able to OC in MI for 3 years. I thankfully hold residency in Mecosta Co where they seem to be able to get through all applicants at their gun board meetings.

pawn99

Thanks guys! You know the gun board here don't mess with anyone here in st joseph or reveiw them at all. Some of my friends in the same county never had to meet with the board nor speak with them. I think it really just depends on the county

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

I recieved my CPL 29 days after applying (I live in Wayne County) and this was right before Christmas...which according to my instructor was the most popular CPL application time in Michigan because everyone is off for the holidays.

Apparently my quick approval and mailing was some sort of witchcraft or miracle.

FreeInAZ

I recieved my CPL 29 days after applying (I live in Wayne County) and this was right before Christmas...which according to my instructor was the most popular CPL application time in Michigan because everyone is off for the holidays.

Apparently my quick approval and mailing was some sort of witchcraft or miracle.

Don't worry they'll make it up to you upon renewal. :eek: Also WACO has in the past issued invalid CPL's - meaning you have it but they have not entered it into the system for some unknown reason (laziness etc..)

I would stop by your local cop shop (unarmed) & ask them to run it to be sure it is indeed in the "system". Happens more than one would expect. A few years back a nice old man spent a weekend in jail because of such a glitch in the system.

ETA - How's the army treating you mike? Are you a master potato peeler yet? :p

Last edited:

wizzi01

I'll need the voodoo doll you used. My renewal is next year. lol

RnSdriver

My wait in Muskegon County was 2 weeks. I got lucky on the timing and the permit showed up two day .after the gun board met

jeffrey-r

My initial license took a full three months to come through, in Macomb Country where you actually have to go before the board. Did my CPL class and paperwork in October of last year and didn't get the court date and license until January 11th.

Don't worry they'll make it up to you upon renewal. :eek:

No worries on the renewal though. As long as you get your renewal paperwork complete and submitted (and paid for up front) 61 days before it expires, then you have no worries of a lapse. [I have to cite that, right?]

28.425l License; validity; duration; renewal; waiver of educational requirements; fingerprints.
Sec. 5l. (1) A license to carry a concealed pistol issued on or after July 1, 2003 but before July 1, 2006 is
valid for 5 years.
(2) A license to carry a concealed pistol issued or renewed on or after July 1, 2006 is valid until the
applicant's date of birth that falls not less than 4 years or more than 5 years after the license is issued or
renewed, as applicable. Except as provided in subsections (7) and (8), a renewal of a license under section 5b
shall, except as provided in this section, be issued in the same manner as an original license issued under
section 5b.
(3) The concealed weapon licensing board shall issue or deny issuance of a renewal license within 60 days
after the application for renewal is properly submitted.
The county clerk shall issue the applicant a receipt for
his or her renewal application at the time the application is submitted. The receipt shall contain all of the
following:
(a) The name of the applicant.
(b) The date and time the receipt is issued.
(c) The amount paid.
(d) A statement that the receipt is for a license renewal.
(e) A statement of whether the applicant qualifies for an extension under subsection (4).
(f) The name of the county in which the receipt is issued.
(g) An impression of the county seal.
(4) If the concealed weapon licensing board fails to deny or issue a renewal license to the person within 60
days as required under subsection (3), the expiration date of the current license is extended by 180 days or
until the renewal license is issued, whichever occurs first.
This subsection does not apply unless the person
pays the renewal fee at the time the renewal application is submitted and the person has submitted a receipt
from a police agency that confirms that a background check has been requested by the applicant.

[There's more. Look up the law for complete details on a renewal extension if that situation ever applies to you.]

Last edited: