• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

Teddybearfrmhell

It's funny how it is always the supporters of the second amendment that end up making an issue about the exercise of the right to bear arms. Whenever I hear somebody say that these days it just translates over to "I'm a liar, anybody exercising their rights bothers me."

so he took a job that is in direct conflict with his espoused convictions...... shows how much it means to him. he gets paid to enforce the oppression of the 2nd amendment while talking another direction..... in wwII many nazis did the very same thing.

Dogbait

A bit late on the report but fall term was starting.

Last week:

Another city council meeting. It went rather well. A few minutes after I sat down the police chief came over and sat next to me. He asked if I was armed. His reason was for "security purposes". They left me alone for the rest of meeting.

Returned an item to home depot in Portland. No issues.

Went fishing, lots of people out for a walk. No freak outs.

-------------

@we-the-people

That security guy needs to learn not to harass people if he doesn't agree with them. I would file a complaint to the board or dean in regards to his actions.

Edit: clarified

Sent from my HTC EVO

Last edited:

Teddybearfrmhell

That security guy needs to learn not to harass people if he doesn't agree with them. I would file a complaint to the board or dean in regards to his actions.

but then the guy might not do anything anymore.... in addition to exercising his rights AND education the public, wtp also likes to needle his opposition. do not jeopardize his funtimes !

:)

We-the-People

but then the guy might not do anything anymore.... in addition to exercising his rights AND education the public, wtp also likes to needle his opposition. do not jeopardize his funtimes !

:)

I do not "needle" them at school....it's not my fault that it pisses them off when I demonstrate my knowledge of my rights and their status as nothing more than an employee of the school with no more rights than I have. SMILE

I think it pisses them off because they want to look in my book bag to see if there's a firearm, or maybe even pat me down, but they can't because I know the law, my rights, and won't consent. But, just in case, I'm now carrying my CHL so that if they call the cops on some pretext I'll flash the CHL if necessary and tell the cops they have no authority and if they decide to use unlawful force to violate my rights to please speak clearly for the recording.

They also don't like that I educate the other students on their rights and the limitations that security guards have if you don't bend over for them.

I fully expected some sort of hassle today when I arrived at campus but apparently they know better. You'd think though, after two years of going there, that they'd have figured things out by now.

We-the-People

Speaking of "higher education" facilities that harass people for lawfully carrying (or just carrying an empty holster)......the Oregon Court of Appeals just ruled in favor of gun carriers in the Jeff Maxwell inspired case out of Western Oregon University. Thread for that topic is here http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?95427-Court-of-Appeals-gets-one-right&p=1618718#post1618718

In a nutshell.....Oregon University is NOT EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZED TO REGULATE FIREARMS and so their OAR attempting to do so is VOID. Hmmmm and I go to SOU next quarter.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Last night I carried into the heart of OSU to see if my fiancee's water bottle was still in the classroom she left it in. No hassles despite there being a ton of people out, but it was fairly dark. Tonight I carried over to Nearly Normals, a vegetarian restaurant. Walked through the outer edge of OSU on the way there, through the outer edge of OSU on the way back. No issues.

Satyr

I stumbled upon this today, thought it was mildly interesting. Open carrier gets stopped in downtown Eugene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7UMdniHWkI

TheHossUSMC is a member here on OC.org so if you guys want you can contact him here or on YouTube. He is a easy going guy and extremely knowledgeable in the Oregon laws. I have talked to him quite a bit about my encounter and he has been nothing but an ambassador and a overall good guy. Thanks for posting this Bigtoe!

We-the-People

They REALLY wanted to run his ID. Good job not allowing that. I love how they immediately jump to the whole "uncooperative" line of thought merely because a citizen expects his rights to be respected and doesn't jump when "asked". The text bubbles for their unheard converation was a nice touch!!!!!

Dogbait

Went through estacada last Saturday while going out hunting. Stopped at the local subway for a bite to eat, the two girls behind the counter made a few glances but nothing major happened. :)

Sent from my HTC EVO

bigtoe416

This week I've gone to Corvallis Brewing Supply, no issues, the Darkside Theater (although my raincoat mostly concealed my Glock and holster on the way in and out), and today I attended a guest lecture on OSU campus in the Agriculture and Life Sciences building. Rode my bike there and back, no issues.

Dogbait

Friday, on way home from campus ,I picked up a book from the county library. No issues except for a few glances by the library staff.

Sent from my HTC EVO

Last edited:

We-the-People

Eagle Pt (Medford area) WalMart this afternoon with a lady friend who is accepting of my OC but not the enthusiastic type. In the sporting goods section a guy ased me for info about open carry....and of course I had no pamphlets on me.....gave him the OCDO addy and he wrote it down in a notebook so hopefully there will be a new member shortly.

bigtoe416

On Saturday I was out near the coast and stopped at Pigs n Pancakes in Newport while open carrying. No issues, although next time I'd probably try to find someplace with tastier grub.

Yesterday I was at Le Cafe D'el Jebal ordering something tasty for dinner and a guy around 25 years old came up and asked if I was a cop. We talked for a minute or two about open carry. He was pleasant, took a flyer, and said he thought if more people carried openly there would be less crime.