• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
On my way to a restaurant tonight I was about a block away from OSU campus when a young man riding a fixed gear bike passed me, slowed, did a u-turn, and came up to talk to me. He had somehow seen my firearm and properly identified it even though my weak side was toward him. He was friendly, asked if I had been stopped by the cops, and recognized my serpa holster. I asked him if he open carried and he said no, but he conceal carries pretty often. I asked him if he carries on campus and he gave an answer that was perfect, "Uhm, I dunno". He was smirking as he said it. I told him about the recent court case that prevented him from getting disciplined for carrying. He asked my fiancee if she carried and she replied with the same, "Uhm, I dunno" answer. Those crazy concealed carriers, they're all poker players.

I'm still impressed that he spotted my sidearm while biking past. I believe the very top of the holster was even concealed a tad because of my unzipped sweatshirt. Overall one of the best friendly encounters yet.

bigtoe416

Last week I walked to the OSU library with my fiancee while open carrying. She didn't want me to go inside because she was worried we'd get hassled, so I sat outside for approximately seven minutes with my strong side facing the main entrance. This was at around 5:15pm, so probably 200 students walked past me without any issues.

Also last week at the First Alternative Co-op I was paying for my groceries when a cashier asked if I carried a firearm for my job. I told her no, that I was just an ordinary citizen who does it to remind people of their rights. We engaged in some brief chit-chat about firearms before I left the store to walk home.

And finally today, while checking my mail, Corvallis PD illegally detained me. I've written up my account to be posted at a later time.

Dogbait

Last Friday: Walked around the nearby shopping center/MAX Parking lot and picked up litter, filling three trash bags. I could hear a group of teenagers talking to each other about if I was a cop. One of them finally said, "Hey man, what's with the pistol and you picking up trash?" I told them I was exercising my rights and figured I would get out and do something today instead of sitting around. He replied, "That's cool man, thanks for looking out for the community." I handed them a pamphlet and went about my business.

Saturday: Went to the Gresham farmers market and bought some corn. I proceeded to walk around Downtown Gresham and pick up trash along the streets. A guy asked what I was carrying(I carry a 24/7 pro) and he said it looked similar to his Taurus Millennium Pro.

---

@Bigtoe, Seriously? I figured they would have learned by now. I look forward to your post

Last edited:

We-the-People

I've been going to new places around Medford the last couple of weeks, including to the divorce attorney's office (mine not hers) with no negative encounters. Today had lunch with a friend (who while not an OCer was fine with the possibility we might be "interupted") near Tinsel Town in a fairly leftish establishment...no problem. Then off to shop in the nearby halloween costume shop where the early 20's female clerk tried valiently to not keep glancing at my firearm as she helped us look for one of those "anonymous" masks by itself...she failed at least a dozen times but never said a word. Made our purchase (without finding the mask I wanted), and we were on our way. Then stopped off at Freddy Myers to pick up a costume piece. While checking out the "No Contract" phones, a gal passed and said "nice pistol, what is it" so we had a short conversation as I described my FN Herstal 5.7x28 in its Serpa level II holster.

She departed with a "kewl", I got my item with some assistance and departed.

A good couple of weeks as well as day.

I too will be awaiting the "report" on Corvallis PD's actions.

bigtoe416

Went to the Corvallis PD a couple of times this week while open carrying, no issues.

Tonight I grabbed a burrito at my local taqueria and both workers immediately noticed my firearm and I noticed that one of them was staring at it as I walked up to order. I must have been there five or six times now, nobody has ever noticed before. After I placed my order and paid for it the guy behind the counter started asking me questions about carrying and CHLs and things. I gave him a flyer and tried to answer his questions as best I could. His co-worker had gone to the kitchen when I came in and she returned when she saw that nothing was happening. She said she was scared for a second when she saw me walk in. She joined in the conversation a bit and seemed pleasant enough. My food came out and I thanked them and walked out.

We-the-People

Today, 7 Nov 2011

Open carried to the divorce lawyers office but they were closed. Went back out to the truck to wait the half hour until they opened and found I'dlocked my keys in the damn truck. So after four trips to check the office door in the "security plaza" building they showed up and I did my business, then went out to the truck to wait on a friend to come pick me up so I could drive home for the spare.

The whole time I was just waiting for MPD to show up in response to a "suspicious MWAG" call due tothe multiple trips into the building and then just sitting around in the parking lot on the tailgate. Didn't happen....so other than the hassles of getting the spare key, good deal.

Then went to Les Schwab on Central Ave to get the low (due to a nail) tire I found while twiddling my thumbs fixed. an hour plus there with nary a word about the weapon.....Good to go.

Hit the WalMart in Eagle Pt after that to pick up a few things.

A long day but no problems (as usual).

Also, last week I picked up a portable gun safe that can be cabled or bolted into a vehicle and uses either a key or a push button 3 to 8 press button combo. 60 bucks. Made by Stack On, lined inside, you hit the combo and a small motor unlocks the lid. The cable is a bit light but it will keep the smash and grab types from snatching an unsecured pistol and will slow down others so that they may spook. Much better than the console or under a seat and it takes a search warrant to lawfully open it.

TheHossUSMC

So last week I went into the Eugene City Library. That day I was conceal carrying because I was going to a persons house I did not know to help her move out from her abusive husband, and I didn't want to open carry. My friend was returning a book before we went so I stood just inside the door waiting for him. After he was done I walked into the lobby. While we were waiting there for another friend, I noticed that the security guard from inside was approaching me. I turned towards him and he walked right up to me and said something to the effect of
"Your not allowed to carry knives in the library".
I had two knives clipped into different pockets. I told him that he was mistaken, and he pointed at a sign on the outer door. I looked back at him and said,
"It doesn't matter if you print it on the door you cannot restrict people from carrying knives on public property."
He and I went back and forth several times, and finally I said if you want to go get the policeman standing inside, I had seen one inside, go ahead, but I'm not going to leave. The security guy refused to get the cop, so I just said fine turned away and waited for the other guy. Funny thing was I was carrying two guns at the time as well.

So all that being said I cannot find anywhere in Oregon law or Eugene statutes, which I read all of the criminal section, where they can restrict knives from the library, or any public building. All I could find was the concealing of knives law and the swicthblade/ assisted opening knife law. Am I missing a law somewhere or is this guy just misinformed?

TheHossUSMC

This video was my eye opener, I got jealous... I want too! Still Figuring everything out with the whole tigard thing and being 20 without permit, but I'm hooked!

I have open carried in Tigard a fair amount. I have never even gotten a second look while I was there, but near the Washington Square Mall I had two cops who had pulled over a guy in a parking lot near me mad dog me for a few minutes and then drive away after. I was surprised they didn't come over and talk to me.

TheHossUSMC

coulda just been looking at YOU, your not easy on the eyes! LOL

i just remembered , as i was parking my bike and taking the sig out of the saddle bag and into the slide holster on the belt an elderly gentleman (with his grand daughter) stopped to talk bikes till he saw the sig, then he was very interested in how i liked the pistol. he wanted to see it but not to touch, he just liked the design (he is a die hard 1911 man) of the new (30 year old) pistols. so neither he, nor his grand daughter batted an eye as this biker (me) crawled off the bike, holstered up and went in to dinner. i was told to enjoy my meal and ride safe......

Curious why you don't open carry on the bike?

bigtoe416

Yesterday at noon I went to the Corvallis Police Department again to pay for some information from my detainment. I open carried as usual, and spoke to a Captain about my public records request who was not at all interested in my sidearm. We had a pleasant conversation while we were both visibly armed.

Last night I went to the Corvallis Library to voice my concern to the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies who just happened to be hearing public comments regarding CPD. I wrote down numerous policies that were violated during my detainment and was one of two people who spoke. The two gentlemen listening to public comments were amiable and seemed interested in what I had to say. Afterward I got a library card and checked out a book, no issues.

Dogbait

So all that being said I cannot find anywhere in Oregon law or Eugene statutes, which I read all of the criminal section, where they can restrict knives from the library, or any public building. All I could find was the concealing of knives law and the swicthblade/ assisted opening knife law. Am I missing a law somewhere or is this guy just misinformed?

What I found,

161.015 General definition
(1) “Dangerous weapon” means any weapon, device, instrument, material or substance which under the circumstances in which it is used, attempted to be used or threatened to be used, is readily capable of causing death or serious physical injury.
(2) “Deadly weapon” means any instrument, article or substance specifically designed for and presently capable of causing death or serious physical injury.

166.360 Definitions for ORS 166.360 to 166.380
(a) A firearm;
(b) Any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slingshot, metal knuckles or any similar instrument or a knife other than an ordinary pocket knife, the use of which could inflict injury upon a person or property;
(c) Mace, tear gas, pepper mace or any similar deleterious agent as defined in ORS 163.211;
(d) An electrical stun gun or any similar instrument;
(e) A tear gas weapon as defined in ORS 163.211;
(f) A club, bat, baton, billy club, bludgeon, knobkerrie, nunchaku, nightstick, truncheon or any similar instrument, the use of which could inflict injury upon a person or property; or
(g) A dangerous or deadly weapon as those terms are defined in ORS 161.015

166.370 Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility; exceptions; discharging firearm at school.
(1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

Dogbait

That info is basically what I told him, and I even showed him my CHL, and he still was ignorant lol.

Let him think what he wants, if he doesn't want to contact a LEO that's in the area then in IMHO he's just looking to stir up trouble

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Last night after dropping my lady off at her work I was walking home through downtown Corvallis and a bicyclist approached me from behind, greeted me with, "Nice piece" and informed me of a candlelight vigil that was going to be taking place for a fallen soldier later that night. I thanked him for informing me of the event and continued on my way home.

Today I went shooting at the indoor shooting range in Lebanon. The guy working there was chill as usual. Afterward my fiancee and myself ate at the Mexican place next door, no issues.

bigtoe416

This is an update to my 10-26-2011 illegal detainment that I had briefly mentioned earlier and didn't comment on further. I've since received a memo from the Officer after I had filed multiple public record requests and was told that no written record of the incident existed. This is solely what the officer wrote in his memo with my name and location removed. This is a matter of public record, so I figure no harm in posting it.

---

On 10-26-11 at approximately 1216 hours, I was on a directed patrol in the area of <my nearest cross street>. I patrol this area nearly every shift and know other officers do as well because it is an area where people are trespassing on Rail Road property and committing various other crimes and violations.

As I was pulling into the gravel parking lot area owned by the rail road, I saw a male walking northbound away from the area on a gravel road near the railroad tracks. The male caught my eye because he was walking very slowly and had a dark colored hooded sweatshirt on. The hood was pulled over his head so I could not see his face. The male turned slightly toward me and after noticing me he quickly turned away from me and continued to walk away.

I also noticed what appeared to be a handgun on his hip in a holster. Although this is not against the law by itself it is a very unusual thing to see in the City of Corvallis. In addition, concerned citizens call on this type of behavior anytime someone is walking around with what appears to be a weapon.

Based on the location the male was at, his strange actions of walking slowly and peering back at me and then walking away, his dark hooded sweatshirt over his head which appeared he was trying to conceal his face, and carrying a weapon on his hup, this all seemed very suspicious and out of place to me.

I approached the male in my car and got out on foot to within an approximate distance of 50-75 feet. I did not block his path to freely leave as there was no barrier on either side of him. The male again looked back at me and continued to walk away. I noticed when he looked back he turned just enough to where I could only see a little bit of his face and noticed he had facial hair. I asked the male to keep his hands away from his handgun. He turned and said, "Are you stopping me"? I told him "No" but I wanted to talk to him. I explained to him it is unusual to see someone carrying a handgun especially in the area he was in.

The male again asked if I was "stopping" him and I again said "No". I kept approaching the male and asked him who he was and he just stared at me in silence. I got closer and told him to keep his hands away from the hand gun at which time I noticed a knife in his right front pocket. I asked again who he was and he did not reply. He stood looking straight ahead without replying which added to how suspicious he was acting. I asked if he had any identification and he did not reply. I asked him to turn away from me so I could pat him down. From my training and experience I know when there is one gun or knife there is a high probability there are more. He asked if he was detained and I said, "Yes for a moment". I found nothing on him other than the knife and gun I saw.

I noticed in his right hand was a newspaper ad with an address of <my address> and the name of <my name>. I asked him if he was <me> and he did not reply. I saw a vehicle north of our location in the driveway of the address on the ad. I checked the license plate on the car which returned to a different name. I had dispatch run a name scan on <my name> and it came back as clear and showed him as a concealed handgun permit holder.

I told him he was free to go and asked him why he was acting the way he was. He replied, "Do you have a business card"? I said sure and reached into my pocket but I was out so I told him I had some in my car. <me> started to tell me he knew about his civil rights and it was not illegal to walk around with a gun. I attempted to explain my reasoning in contacting him and how he was acting but he did not want to talk to me about it. He started telling me he was illegally detained and wanted my business card.

At my car I had to turn my back on <me> to get him a business card. I did not feel comfortable turning my back on him as he had a gun and a knife. I asked him to stand on the other side of my car while I got him a card. He replied, "It's a free world I can stand where I want". I said I agree with you but for my safety I would like you to stand on the other side. He replied, "No, I can stand here". I told him I would not give him a card if he did not move to where I felt safe. He continued to stand in the location so I got in my car and left. I noticed <me> stood in the middle of the gravel road way and watched me leave.

My contact with <me> was brief and I estimated it to be approximately 3-4 minutes. I left the area and cleared formt he directed patrol and returned to the LEC. About 10-15 minutes later I noticed I had not been cleared off the call so I called dispatch to tell them I was at the LEC. This concludes my contact with whom I believe to be <me>.

VW_Factor

Yesterday/today had our first OC'er come to do business with us. Figured I would share because I was pleased to see it, and I haven't seen many other OC'ers around these parts. :)

Warren Drouin

Today at 11/19/2011 around 1pm went to Wells Fargo to deposit my checks 1320 East McAndrews Road
Medford while openly displaying my Beretta px4 storm handgun. As I pulled into the parking lot I notice 4 police
vehicles and 3 officers outside. I got out of my vehicle and started my walk toward the door of wells fargo, while my strong side facing
toward the officers. They seen me and out of surprise they did not stop me when I enter the business. As I was writing my signature
on my check my leg started to shake (Still scared of them) and one officer came out of the office door of wells fargo. He seen me and paused for 2 sec and then went outside of wells fargo like he did not care. I deposit my check and asked what was going on with all these officers, the lady repied " someone deposit a fake
check". As I went out of the business of wells fargo I seen only one vehicle and no officers in it. Then I went into my vehicle and left.

Good Day