• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking of moving from NY to CT but still need my NY permit. Advise

camaroguy13

I am thinking of moving from NY to CT. I currently have a CC for employment.
I understand that NY does not issue permits to non-residents but, is there a permit I can apply for seeing as my business is located in NY?
LEOs, attorneys, and firearm law experts please advise.

Midwest

Yes , If you have a business in New York, you can have a permit.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

NY Penal Code 400
3. Applications. (a) Applications shall be made and renewed, in the case of a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, to the licensing officer in the city or county, as the case may be, where the applicant resides, is principally employed or has his principal place of business as merchant or storekeeper; and, in the case of a license as gunsmith or dealer in firearms, to the licensing officer where such place of business is located.

Note: It looks like if you work or have a business in NY you can apply for a Permit/License to Carry. If you apply you would follow the same procedures as a resident. (See Resident Permit Section)

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Three lawsuits have been filed to resolve your issue.

First is Osterweil v. Bartlett ,a case against a licensing authority for refusing to issue to a part-time resident of NY

Second is Kachalsky v. Cacace, a case which is attempting to get the New York concealed carry law (since there's been no open carry of handguns for regular civilians out in the public areas since 1963) to be no prior restraint (no discretion)

Third is Peterson v. Martinez, a case against the refusal of state to issue non-resident licenses.

They are not resolved yet.

hermannr

Everyone can say what they want...but in NY it is strictly up to the Judge in the county that issued the permit in the first place.

Yes everyone, it is true, you must be a resident to be issued a permit in the first place, however, most of the permits in NY are "lifetime" (mine was issued in 1967, and yes I still have it even though I have not live in NY since 1968 PL 400.00(2)(f) it is in my firesafe)

You said you have an "employment" permit (400.00(2)(c)?) I would assume, if the "employment" remains the same, the judge will not have a problem with you keeping it. What you need to do is, after you move, ask the judge that issued the permit...it is strictly up to him....no kidding. They might just change you address and give it back. It does happen.

Jared

post the statue

Penal Code 400.00

Section 3

3. Applications. (a) Applications shall be made and renewed, in the
case of a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, to the
licensing officer in the city or county, as the case may be, where the
applicant resides, is principally employed or has his principal place of
business as merchant or storekeeper

camaroguy13

Penal Code 400.00

Section 3

3. Applications. (a) Applications shall be made and renewed, in the
case of a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, to the
licensing officer in the city or county, as the case may be, where the
applicant resides, is principally employed or has his principal place of
business as merchant or storekeeper

"where the applicant resides" That tidbit right there is a concern for me.
I dont want to move then have the license revoked bc I do need to carry in NYS for my business.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The OP should also be concerned with a new bill that is going to be puked out of the illegally acting legislative committee today ... if he does not have residency upon the active date of the expected law then this may throw another monkey wrench into his thoughts..

bennwj

Ask your Sheriff

I am thinking of moving from NY to CT. I currently have a CC for employment.
I understand that NY does not issue permits to non-residents but, is there a permit I can apply for seeing as my business is located in NY?
LEOs, attorneys, and firearm law experts please advise.

I know you posted this some time ago, but there is a simple answer.

Do you remember when Rockingham and Westchester Counties had the addresses of the pistol permit holders released to the newspaper? If you looked at them you would have seen quite a few addresses from CT, NJ, PA and there were even a couple from NC and VA.

I asked our family friend who just happend to retire as a Sheriff Deputy and now runs the pistol permit program about non residents getting NYS pistol permits. Those who own businesses in NY can get a non resident permit as well as those people who work in NY but live in another state.

I am originally from Chemung county, which borders PA, and there are quite a few folks who live in PA, but work in NY. They can apply for a NYS pistol permit.

Ask your sheriff.

bennwj

Your permit is no good

Everyone can say what they want...but in NY it is strictly up to the Judge in the county that issued the permit in the first place.

Yes everyone, it is true, you must be a resident to be issued a permit in the first place, however, most of the permits in NY are "lifetime" (mine was issued in 1967, and yes I still have it even though I have not live in NY since 1968 PL 400.00(2)(f) it is in my firesafe)

You said you have an "employment" permit (400.00(2)(c)?) I would assume, if the "employment" remains the same, the judge will not have a problem with you keeping it. What you need to do is, after you move, ask the judge that issued the permit...it is strictly up to him....no kidding. They might just change you address and give it back. It does happen.

I hate to give you the bad news, but your New York permit isn't valid in NY. Yes, they were "lifetime" permits, but It stopped being valid the minute you moved outside the state and set up residency in another state. It is still valid if you WORK in NY though.