• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transporting in a Vehicle

whatsit

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new handgun owner (or will be when I pick it up at the end of the week). My question is: how do you transport your handgun in your vehicle when it's not on your person? I understand a lot of people here are open carriers -- that's cool, but I'm not ready for anything like that and I don't have my CCP. I just want to follow the law during transportation from the gun shop, to the house, to the range, etc.

I found this: http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/police/pdf/gun.pdf which is a great compilation of "rules" and indicates that:
... guns can be transported for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during the transporting of the firearm it is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the driver/passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle.
In the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition should be placed in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

So... my plan is to put the gun in the trunk along with any ammo. So, that works when I'm driving the sedan. If I'm driving the minivan (no trunk), though, how do I lock things up? I could put the cable lock around the handle of the hardcase of the gun, but how do I lock up the ammo?

I'm probably over thinking this, so any insight you other NE handgun owners have would be appreciated!

gunscribe

Nebraska Firearms Owners Association

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new handgun owner (or will be when I pick it up at the end of the week). My question is: how do you transport your handgun in your vehicle when it's not on your person? I understand a lot of people here are open carriers -- that's cool, but I'm not ready for anything like that and I don't have my CCP. I just want to follow the law during transportation from the gun shop, to the house, to the range, etc.

I found this: http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/police/pdf/gun.pdf which is a great compilation of "rules" and indicates that:

So... my plan is to put the gun in the trunk along with any ammo. So, that works when I'm driving the sedan. If I'm driving the minivan (no trunk), though, how do I lock things up? I could put the cable lock around the handle of the hardcase of the gun, but how do I lock up the ammo?

I'm probably over thinking this, so any insight you other NE handgun owners have would be appreciated!

Check out the NFOA - http://nebraskafirearms.org/ Lots of great people there that will be more than willing to help you with anything you need to know about Nebraska.

whatsit

That's great. I didn't know the NFOA existed. I just registered. Thanks for the info!

Saber379

As long as the gun is visible you can put it anywhere in your car/truck or lock it in the trunk its up to you. Just curious how you will defend yourself/family with it locked in the trunk?