• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traveling to South Carolina (and Georgia - Savannah)

Carolina40

imported post

both states have CC reciprocity with NC, but...

is there anything I should be aware of while there?

thanks

Hef

imported post

No open carry in SC. Concealed carry only. Those who have no valid permits but are not prohibited from buying firearms may legally carry a firearm, openly or concealed, in their home, fixed place of business (as long as the business doesn't sell alcohol for on-premise consumption), or any room for which an accommodations tax has been paid. They may also keep a loaded handgun in the center console or glove box of their vehicle, or in a container with an integral locking fastener. Firearms are not permitted in any establishment that sells alcohol for on-premise consumption.

Open carry is legal in GA, but you must have a permit to carry. Firearms are not permitted in establishments that sell alcohol for on-premise consumption, nor at "public gatherings" - fairs, parades, or anywhere a police officer feels like breaking your stones in front of a crowd.

Look up each state's statutes for yourself to be sure. After all, I'm just a guy on the internet.

Carolina40

imported post

thanks

we really need (citizens of NC, GA and SC, etc.) to get it in gear and get the "restaurant ban" removed..

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Carolina40 wrote:
thanks

we really need (citizens of NC, GA and SC, etc.) to get it in gear and get the "restaurant ban" removed..
Hope you are more successful than in VA where the governor vetoed the ban repeal.

Of course we can still open carry there.

PT111

imported post

I have it on good authority that in SC there is no law against carrying with a permit in a restaurant or bar that serves alcohol. There has been a good bit of discussion on some other boards about this and it has been assumed in the past that it was illegal but it has come to light recently that there actually is not law against it. The SC AG supposedly has told the SCHP not to arrest anyone for this and trying to keep it quiet since almost all CWP instructors have been teaching that it is illegal.

Recently an opinion was re-issued by the AG office that took about 7 pages to really say nothing. Take this for what it is worth and I am not ready to be the test case. However I have offered to donate $10 to the defense for whoever is ready to be the test case. :cool:

If you check into it you find that there is nothing in the CWP laws concerning carry in places that serve alcohol. You only find that in the laws that cover weapons and it says that those with a permit are exempt from those restrictions. I am going to leave it up to the reader to make their own interpretation.

Read SC Code 23-31-215 (M) [CWP Restrictions]

16-23-460
Nothing herein contained may be construed to apply to (1) persons carrying concealed weapons upon their own premises or pursuant to and in compliance with Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23,
16-23-465
In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16-11-330 and 16-23-460 and by Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 16, a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.