• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trouble at the BC border.

Boomboy007

Let me start this by saying clearly: I blame no one but myself.

That said, a couple of Sundays ago, I went shooting with a couple of young guys from my work. One is a relatively new shooter whose experience is mostly limited to .22 rifles. I have found that my AK is a fun spray gun, especially for new shooters, and I had some extra ammo, so I brought it along with my "extras" bag.

To make a long story shorter, somehow three of my 30 round mags were placed in the bag with my board games, and I missed them when I unloaded the car. Fast forward to Tuesday night (the beginning of my work "weekend") and I am in a hurry to get to my girlfriend's house in Vancouver. I am a frequent visitor, and I go up every week or two.

With Murphy in full effect, I was selected for a search. I put the dog in the kennel, grabbed a book, and without a care in the world settled in one of their uncomfortable chair to catch up on a chapter. I was not worried, as I was very careful to place my EDC in the safe before I left, and was even careful to shed my pocketknife before leaving home.

I was a bit lost in the text when the border officer, along with two of his friends, returned to have me empty my pockets and show them my waist band. It seems THEY found my mags, and proceeded to very thoroughly search my car. Three hours later, they cleared me. They believed that I had no intention of smuggling the mags, so they did not arrest me, and they even let me enter Canada.

The bad news: It seems that 30 round magazines are highly prohibited in Canada. If discovered they are, of course, confiscated. Also, the fine is $500 PER MAGAZINE. Finally, I will probably be searched every time I drive across that border from now on.

Expensive lesson.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have been waiting for you to "come clean" about this incident. It will be a great learning tool for us all, living this close to the border.
I, personally, get very anal aboat going over the border. I do not do it often and I always take "extra care" going over the vehicle. Brian got complacent, the devil in us all, and it has cost him dearly.
Anyone else had an incident at the border?

this is the fine for thre AK mags going into Canada,eh?
View attachment 12717

Firearms Iinstuctor

That's why I thoroughly search my vehicle before I head to Canada,

But then I only go about twice a year.

I don't want any unexpected surprise's with left over pistols rounds ect.

Sorry it happened a good reminder to look twice.

OC for ME

Go back?

GF is not permitted into the US?

Hmm...time for e change it seems.

Canada is no friend of liberty and is to be avoided...in my view.

acmariner99

Yikes

Expensive mistake indeed. I am glad they decided to "make it sting" rather than completely make an example out of you like I hear about a few Americans accidentally crossing the Mexican border. When I was living in Arizona, I went to Mexico fairly often (was dating a Mexican national at the time) so I was adamant about checking my vehicle every trip for ammunition, utility knives, and spent brass. They have police and military checkpoints everywhere in northern Baja and Sonora and I got searched a few times and never had a problem.

On my last trip to Canada, I was profiled as someone who carries a firearm in the US. It sounded like the guard wanted to make small talk as there was no one else at the border station, but it wouldn't surprise me if I got searched the next time I cross (whenever that happens to be). Truth be told, despite Canada's restrictions, I'd rather go through the hassle with them than risk transiting a state like New York or New Jersey. How sad is that?

Last edited:

acmariner99

No, GF is permitted, but work schedules don't match. I found one crazy enough to claim me, not gonna change.

I believe Canadian citizens have unrestricted access to the US with the proper ID - stay for 6 months for business or pleasure provided they aren't working for a US employer themselves.

I digress. - Crossing borders with firearms is big issue. What about getting a Canadian license?

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
I digress. - Crossing borders with firearms is big issue. What about getting a Canadian license?

Ok, it's confession time.

One time a number of years ago (The statute of limitations has expired and I'll deny it anyway) I forgot that I had my deer rifle in the back of my vehicle when returning home to Washington from Montana. We decided to take the Scenic Route home and entered Canada at Port Hill Idaho, and for some reason the question was never asked because if it had I probably would have freaked out.

We got all the way to Osoyoos and was approaching the US border when I remembered what I had in back. Again the border guard never asked about firearms, so we made it through untouched but boy was I nervous. Today with all the detectors they have at border crossings I would probably have been toast.

I'm not sure what US Customs would have done, but do know for sure had Canadian Customs or any Mounties found it, I would have been in a mell of a hess.

From that point on I always give my vehicles a good search before heading north. I even have one I won't take across the border no matter what, as I'm sure there are a few shells I've lost over the years hiding in a crevice somewhere.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

^^^ ding, ding, give that man a prize.^^^

The problem being you may not be able to go back for the next 10 years, you need to contact a lawyer before you go back. It may take a month or more for your felony (indictable offence) conviction to work its way through the Canadian court system and prohibit your travel to Canada.