• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Twice OC'd in Louisville now. No problems.

Cottonbaler

Part 1:

I'm an infrequent poster here but I often check in to read the latest OC news. I finally decided if I was going to be in the fight for our 2A rights then I'd better exercise them so for Christmas my "present" was a Ruger SR9 pistol (black slide), a Blackhawk single magazine carrier and an Uncle Mike's Reflex holster. After shooting it at TG&G Indoor Range and wearing it around the house to familiarize myself with the weight I decided it was time.

My wife and I were going shopping this past Sunday and after making sure she was comfortable (she was) we headed out. I figured after all the OC horror stories we read, having my wife with me might allay the fears of anyone who would see me, think "OMG!" and call 911 to report a MWAG. It was cold so I wore long john's under my jeans and a dark button up shirt tucked in with no coat which might accidentally cover my SR9.

First stop was Meijer on Dixie to fill a prescription. It was going to take about 15 minutes so we looked at kid's bicycles for upcoming birthdays. The entire time I was nervous but tried not to show it and just tried to talk with my wife just like we normally would. After 20 minutes we went back to the pharmacy and had to stand in line. Two people were before us and three after. no one seemed alarmed and the folks behind us carried on their conversation normally. When it was our turn I kept eye contact with the pharmacy tech and chatted with her while she rang us up. Transaction completed, I wished her a nice afternoon with a pleasant smile which she returned with a normal "Thank you". We walked out of the store got in our van and I finally relaxed. No problems, no strange looks and no hushed voices near us as if we deserved to be shunned. Off to Best Buy on Outer Loop.

I walked into the store looking for "No Firearms" signs (not that it would've mattered) and headed to the cameras. We picked one out that we'd had our eye on at Meijer and figured we'd go ahead and buy it there since we were also buying a laptop. That decided, we stepped over to look at the laptops and were having a conversation about a couple of them when a young employee walked up and asked if we needed any help. I asked him how to use Windows 8 to find out the laptop's brand of wi-fi card because I wanted to make sure it was Linux compatible. I explained I needed a Realtek, Atheros or Intel card but not Broadcom ( I won't bore you with the details but If you use Linux, Broadcoms are notorious for being a b*tch to configure). I continued that I wasn't familiar with the new Windows 8 interface but that I'd be wiping the HDD anyway and installing Linux Mint.

My wife stepped back as he stood next to me on my strong side and showed me how to navigate to the laptop's hardware list to see the installed wi-fi card. During our conversation I made sure to keep eye contact with him and kept my questions to the matter at hand but I did notice he looked down at my sidearm a few times. After I was satisfied I told him we'd take it and there was a camera we were going to buy as well. He told us to go over and get it and he'd ring us up at the Geek Squad counter.. Again, walked out to the van with no weird looks, no confrontations with nervous management and no hysterics.

Wound up going to Target to look at bikes since we were in the area and decided to go back to Meijer to buy a bike we'd liked while we were there earlier. Back to Meijer and again, no problems.

My thanks to all who have given OC advice over the years on this forum. I made sure I was reasonably well dressed, clean shaven and acted politely to anyone I came in contact with. And after a period of nervousness I finally forced myself to remember I was breaking no law and I had as much right to be out in public making purchases as anyone else which helped me relax.

Last edited:

Cottonbaler

Part 2. Southwest branch of the Louisville Library and Kroger

I had a DVD overdue from the Louisville Free Public Library and decided this afternoon would be a good time to take it back and pay my fine. It also would give me an opportunity to test our new strengthened Preemption statute, continue to become accustomed to the weight of the SR9 and how to sit comfortably in our van's driver's seat with the holster. I asked my wife if she had anything to go back to the Library and she gave me a couple of books and asked me to pick up a book she had on Will Call.

Again, no coat. Just jeans, long johns and a dark blue long sleeve shirt. I carry my holster on a 1.5" wide leather work belt with a nylon strip double stitched onto the back side. I forget the brand name but it was $12 from Wal Mart and holds the holster and magazine carrier securely with no slippage. I'm using the paddle attachment because the belt is too thick to weave through the holster's belt attachment.

I arrived at the library and walked right in and up to the counter. I placed my wife's books in the return slot and my DVD on the counter and told the young college age guy I owed a fine that I'd like to pay. He said they'd closed up the cash drawer for the night but I could pay the fine anytime. I told him that was fine and asked if I could check out my wife's book she had on Will Call and gave him her library card. He took it off the shelf behind the counter, scanned it and gave it to me. I thanked him, wished him a nice weekend and left. No problems.

On the way home I stopped at Kroger to get a couple of 2 liters. Walked in, picked up the soda, paid at the self checkout and out to the van. Again, no problems whatsoever. Is OC really that accepted or are most people so absorbed in their own thoughts they pay very little attention to what's going on around them? Very curious.

Once more a big THANK YOU to the KY OC community.

Last edited:

Daddynexxus

Awesome to hear you've had so many good experiences this far. I've had some stupid encounters, myself. I was checking out at Walmart, my S&W 40sdve on my side. Some kid behind me says fairly loud: "Dude's got a glock on his hip!"...

Cottonbaler

More OC this weekend. No problems.

This weekend every time I went out I OC'd and not one problem. Local barber shop for son to get his haircut. Two different Krogers and Pizza Hut for carryout. No comments and no problems from anyone.

I have taken to putting my wallet in my left rear pocket rather than the right on the off chance a motion to retrieve it might frighten the sheep. No other changes though. I'd like to organize an OC get together in Louisville before March. Stay tuned.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I'm glad you've been lucky so far. I can assure you though, if you carry a firearm openly you will eventually come across a pig-headed LEO that believes he can harass you for doing so. Make SURE you know the laws and court precedent on the different subjects that matter. Even knowing this information will do nothing with certain LEOs, and that is when you just keep quiet and request a lawyer.

I do hope you maintain your LEO-free outings though. Maybe one day every LEO in Kentucky will obey the law and the Constitution and will leave people alone when exercising a right.