• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unloaded Magazines on Airplanes

MainelyGlock

A few days before Obama's awe-inspiring press conference around gun control, I ordered some 30-round AR mags from Brownells. Long story short, the order was delayed, I tried to cancel a few times, but they went ahead and charged me/shipped it despite having been told it was cancelled.

Soon, I'll be in Florida for three weeks, and was wondering if there are any laws against bringing [unloaded] magazines onto the plane? They will not be in my carry on, but in my checked bag. I want to sell them on Gunbroker while I'm down there, but don't want to wait until I get back. I can't find any airline policies or laws against it.

Thanks!

MKEgal

As long as they're in your checked bag there shouldn't be any problem.
You could even have them loaded.
(Technically, you could have them unloaded in your carryon, but I'm pretty sure some TSA drone would give you grief 'cause they don't really know the law.)
Here's a blog post I did about the federal law for flying commercial w/ firearms.
Use the link in the second post to read the actual law.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/entry.php?92-federal-law-about-flying-commercial-w-firearms

IIRC, the only thing it says about magazines is included in the part about ammunition - if the magazine is loaded, it has to be in something so the primer is protected. (Apparently whoever wrote the law thinks that something could bump the primer & the cartridge would fire inside someone's luggage.) :rolleyes:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
As long as they're in your checked bag there shouldn't be any problem.
You could even have them loaded....

This.

I've seen it interpreted that a loaded magazine has to be in a magazine carrier of some sort, but I've not been able to confirm that.

decklin

Check it in you're bag.
As far as ammo in the magazine goes it will be dependent on the airline. Southwest allows loaded magazines in your checked baggage.

Do not try to bring them in your carry on. They will not allow it and it is listed on the website.
In 2007 I was in uniform and traveling on orders with a group. One of our guys had an empty magazine in his carry on and was not allowed to bring it through security.
TSA does not allow any firearms parts in your carry on.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

MainelyGlock

Thanks for all the help guys, and nice write-up MKEgal. I'll just keep them in my checked-bag when I fly. Wish I had my Florida CCP!

Last edited:

MKEgal

decklin said:
Do not try to bring them in your carry on. They will not allow it and it is listed on the website.
... TSA does not allow any firearms parts in your carry on.
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition
TSA said:
All firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames and receivers, are prohibited in carry-on baggage.
Never looked at it that way... I always figured a magazine was incident to, not a part of, a firearm. At least, not in the way that a frame or receiver is. Certainly you don't need a BG check to buy one, but then again you don't to buy a new slide or barrel either.
I'd still like to see where in the actual law it says "magazine" near "prohibited".

And I see they're still giving false info about "taking back the key" if they want to search your firearm case. :mad: It's a federal crime, & there's nothing written into it about exempting the TSA or anyone else. It says only the traveller (owner / possesser of the firearm) shall have the key or combination.

Contrarian

TSA violating Federal law

Never looked at it that way... I always figured a magazine was incident to, not a part of, a firearm. At least, not in the way that a frame or receiver is. Certainly you don't need a BG check to buy one, but then again you don't to buy a new slide or barrel either.
I'd still like to see where in the actual law it says "magazine" near "prohibited".

And I see they're still giving false info about "taking back the key" if they want to search your firearm case. :mad: It's a federal crime, & there's nothing written into it about exempting the TSA or anyone else. It says only the traveller (owner / possesser of the firearm) shall have the key or combination.

'RE: the law... do you have a link to the text? Not able to search right now, and a copy in hand might be useful , at flight time.

eye95

Speaking of the TSA, I have to ask this question again: How many terrorists have the TSA stopped through their silly and oppressive checkpoints at the airport? By my count, zero.