• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Updated Friend or Foe site coming soon

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
I've been working on updating the Friend or Foe site, and I'm looking to get some feedback.

If there are things you like and want to keep or things you don't like and would like to see changed, here's the place to put it.

I've got a lot of the new design done and now need to incorporate any functional changes in the update plan. I want to get all the requested changes in one spot so I can see what is most popular, etc.

On the slate besides an updated look are the following changes:
The ability to sign in and manage / modify your additions to the map.
Retain the ability to add anonymously (there will be greater weight given to signed-in member additions).
Allow some statistical research (there are over 3,000 ratings now)
Display all places on the map, no radius search limitations (I'll need some performance testing here, but plays nice so far with over 3k markers.)
Addition of marker types for searching/filtering.
Addition of marker metadata for further research/analysis.
Flagging of suspicious/erroneous markers for review.
Improved mobile device access and extras such as auto-centering the map via GPS and a "follow me" function that will keep the map centered at your location (for scanning while driving, etc).

There are others, but those are the big points.

I don't have an ETA on the updated version release, but it is coming along nicely, so hopefully it won't take too much longer. It really depends on my other work load.

As always, thanks for making the site what it is. Without your input it wouldn't be nearly as useful.

Here are a couple screen shots of the new look, and you can see some of the marker grouping functionality, etc. Click for full size.

Zoomed out:

Zoomed in:

iPhone:

Link to site: http://friendorfoe.us

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

The map is seriously lacking in my area (zero pins within 25 miles of my area code-37601-in East TN), but as soon as I get my OC holster I'll be putting some up.

VW_Factor

I'd just like to see it be more clear and simply for new users to the site to understand how to add ratings to already existing points on the map. (As it was last time I used it, you have to go through the process of adding a new point, to add another rating to the existing point).

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
Bnkrazy, I just wanted to chime in here and thank you for this useful tool that so many of us probably take for granted. I like the idea of user accounts and thank you for respecting peoples privacy with the option of staying anonymous.

Thanks! I'm glad it has been well received and is useful for folks. It's my little way to give back to the community.

The map is seriously lacking in my area (zero pins within 25 miles of my area code-37601-in East TN), but as soon as I get my OC holster I'll be putting some up.

I can't help you there, but sounds like you'll soon have it covered. :)

I'd just like to see it be more clear and simply for new users to the site to understand how to add ratings to already existing points on the map. (As it was last time I used it, you have to go through the process of adding a new point, to add another rating to the existing point).

I agree. That's on the slate. Initially, I didn't spend a ton of time on the interface, as I didn't know if it would take off. So now, a big part of the update is ease of use.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Never heard of http://www.friendorfoe.us/ before, but I'm loving it! The updates would be great.

EDIT: Would be nice to be able to zoom in and see the businesses listed like they are on google maps. Sometimes, I can't remember exactly what the buisness was called and whatnot.

Last edited:

hrdware

Feature Request...

Loving the site, but would it be possible to add places where the name does not automatically populate a point on the map.

For example, there is a grocery store near me and when I put that name in to search it, all the other locations show up, but not the one closest to my home.

Oramac

Never heard of the site, but I like it so far! After using it briefly, I have only a couple suggestions:

1) You mentioned iPhone compatibility, but what about those of us who use Blackberrys or Android smartphones? Will they be supported?

2) It didn't show up at all on google when I searched for it. I understand this may not be a big issue, but it would be nice to find it more easily, especially if you tell a particular business they are listed negatively on the site and they want to see it.

3) Definitely having a separate way to rate or add a business is a good idea.

4) Not every place shows up on the initial search. I originally searched for all businesses within 100 miles of 63366 and didn't see any locations for Pulaski Bank listed. When I went to add one, it showed that one had been added already on Zumbehl Rd, well within the 100 mile search parameter.

jnojr

There should be a way to comment on / rate listed businesses. Sometimes they change policies. I see one near me that's posted as anti from two years ago, but I was there recently and saw no signs.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
There should be a way to comment on / rate listed businesses. Sometimes they change policies. I see one near me that's posted as anti from two years ago, but I was there recently and saw no signs.

You can. Just click on the link to add a buisness, then add the one you want and give it a review. It will automatically add your review to the one already listed so that you dont have to worry about duplicates or anything.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. I'm planning on having a working prototype in the next couple weeks. I ran into a bit of a snag with the wordpress custom data fields storage mechanism I was planning to use so I have to redo the database access code to use my own db tables. Most of the rest of the front end is done though, so it should be fairly quick to get the backend updated.

Answers / comments below to individual posts. Thanks again for the ideas.

Never heard of http://www.friendorfoe.us/ before, but I'm loving it! The updates would be great.

EDIT: Would be nice to be able to zoom in and see the businesses listed like they are on google maps. Sometimes, I can't remember exactly what the buisness was called and whatnot.
The new version will show the places google has, but the interface is not connected to the API, so I can't control what happens when you click on them. You'll still have to search and click on my custom markers, but at least you'll know you're in the right spot.

Loving the site, but would it be possible to add places where the name does not automatically populate a point on the map.

For example, there is a grocery store near me and when I put that name in to search it, all the other locations show up, but not the one closest to my home.
This is an issue with the google places database, but I am going to have a way to manually add places that can't be found in google...although I will probably moderate them as I'd prefer to stick with what google has as the main source so we don't get duplicates. There are ways to update the google places database, but that's a bit beyond the scope of the site.

Never heard of the site, but I like it so far! After using it briefly, I have only a couple suggestions:

1) You mentioned iPhone compatibility, but what about those of us who use Blackberrys or Android smartphones? Will they be supported?

2) It didn't show up at all on google when I searched for it. I understand this may not be a big issue, but it would be nice to find it more easily, especially if you tell a particular business they are listed negatively on the site and they want to see it.

3) Definitely having a separate way to rate or add a business is a good idea.

4) Not every place shows up on the initial search. I originally searched for all businesses within 100 miles of 63366 and didn't see any locations for Pulaski Bank listed. When I went to add one, it showed that one had been added already on Zumbehl Rd, well within the 100 mile search parameter.

1) Yes, any smartphone with a browser should work. I'm testing with an iPhone and Android.
2) It used to, but I haven't really done any SEO to get it higher in the listings. I'll look into it once the site is updated.
3) Covered above.
4) I haven't heard of that issue, but when I search it shows up, with only one rating on the 15th, which I assume is your addition? In any case, there is no distance filter on the new version. All entries show on the map.

Thank you for posting a URL. I was about to ask.

OP ought to have this in his signature!
The old forum software didn't allow signatures and I never checked after the upgrade. I'll have to update mine. Thanks!

sraacke

Bnkrazy,
I don't have anything new to add since the last thread regarding your updating of your site. I've been a fan for quite a while and regularly refer people to your site. I have posted many of the ratings in the greater Baton Rouge area and am eagerly awaiting the upgrades you have been working so hard on. They will no doubt make a good site even better. Thanks for the work you have done so far and keep at it.

Oramac

Bnkrazy,
I don't have anything new to add since the last thread regarding your updating of your site. I've been a fan for quite a while and regularly refer people to your site. I have posted many of the ratings in the greater Baton Rouge area and am eagerly awaiting the upgrades you have been working so hard on. They will no doubt make a good site even better. Thanks for the work you have done so far and keep at it.

I want to second this. I'm new to your site, but very impressed by it. Thank you for all your hard work!

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for all the support. Getting close to having some folks test the new version, probably by next weekend.

If you've got any ideas or suggestions, now's the time. :)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for all the support. Getting close to having some folks test the new version, probably by next weekend.

If you've got any ideas or suggestions, now's the time. :)

Is there any way to have a search function? Yesterday, I was trying to see if there were any reports for a given restaurant in my area, but no way to search. Since there are a lot of reports in Northern Virginia, simple clicks won't get it done.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
Is there any way to have a search function? Yesterday, I was trying to see if there were any reports for a given restaurant in my area, but no way to search. Since there are a lot of reports in Northern Virginia, simple clicks won't get it done.

Yes, it's doable. Would you prefer to have results listed on the map as markers or in a plain text/grid style?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Yes, it's doable. Would you prefer to have results listed on the map as markers or in a plain text/grid style?

Personally, I'd prefer markers. Then I could see color codes, if they're already reported. If they're not, I'd presume they won't be in the database, so it's my job to figure out if they're friend or foe (and report on it).

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
Well...the nice thing about personal projects is that slipped deadlines don't threaten your livelihood. :) That week turned into about 2 months. Between work, family, holidays and changing direction on a large portion of the new site it took a bit longer than expected.

The good news is that after a bit of final testing I'll be ready for some beta testers this weekend. Shoot me a PM if you're interested, and I'll forward the first few responders a temporary link so you can play with the new version.

I need to convert the existing data over and once that's done and the testing is finished, it will be pushed out on the live site. This also means that during the data conversion process, the current site will be offline for a day or so to make sure no new data is added during the process. When that time comes, I'll put a message up on the existing site so those using it that don't see this will know what's going on.

The new version is not far away...here's an updated screenshot in the meantime. Feedback on the new marker system is appreciated.
i-KXCvh3R-L.jpg

Last edited: