• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

URGENT::: HR 2613 Introduced; It would Repeal The Federal Gun Free School Zones Act

Eagle2009

Urgent::: Representative Ron Paul from Texas introduced HR 2613 on July 21, 2011. If passed, it would completely repeal the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act. As you know, the Fed GFSZA prohibits all forms of unlicensed carry, and does not recognize concealed carry reciprocity agreements between states. It is currently a federal felony for any person to travel armed on public sidewalks, roads, or highways which pass within 1000 feet of any K-12 school's property line, unless they have a CCW physically issued by the state that school is in. This bill would fix the problem! PLEASE contact your representatives and urge them to support HR 2613.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-2613

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
No co-sponsors yet. We'll have to change that for this thing to have any chance of passing. I sent messages to my Congress folks.

45acpForMe

I sent a note to my congressman but don't have high hopes it will ever make it through the Senate and Obummer.

Maybe in 2012/2013 it will have a better chance.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
It is currently a federal felony for any person to travel armed on public sidewalks, roads, or highways which pass within 1000 feet of any K-12 school's property line, unless they have a CCW physically issued by the state that school is in.

Actually, this is not correct. There is nothing in U.S. Code 18,922 that makes any mention of a concealed carry permit making the carrier exempt from this law. The part about a "license" is this;

"(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

Notice, nothing is said about a carry permit. In fact, it references a license to possess a firearm which is something most states do not issue. And one needn't have such a "license" on one's person when carrying inside of the 1000' radius. They only need to have been issued said "license".

since9

Campaign Veteran
Here's my letter to my Congressman - Please feel free to copy it and use it yourself!

You'll have to change Congressman X to the name of your own representative, and replace the reference to my city and number of schools with your own:

Dear Congressman X:

I strongly encourage you to co-sponsor H.R. 2613, "To repeal the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 and amendments to that Act," and to support and promote it in every manner possible. Towards that end, I submit to you the following arguments decrying it's existence and supporting it's repeal:

Shortly after it was passed, the GFSZA was subsequently declared to be an unconstitutional exercise of Congressional authority under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution by the United States Supreme Court, and was therefore voided. This case, United States v. Lopez (1995), was the first time in over half a century that the Supreme Court limited Congressional authority to legislate under the Commerce Clause.

Following the Lopez decision, Congress made minor changes requiring that the firearm in question "has moved in or otherwise affects interstate commerce," and reenacted the law with President William J. Clinton's signature. As nearly all firearms have moved in Interstate Commerce at some point in their lives, this was merely a legislative tactic to circumvent the Supreme Court's ruling.

Our Constitution, Sir, is clear: "the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." By preventing otherwise lawfully-armed Americans the right to be armed within 1,000' of a school, their right to keep and bear arms is exceptionally infringed. Furthermore, the GFSZA does absolutely nothing to prevent criminals from carrying within 1,000' of a school, and as the vast majority of criminals carry concealed, usually illegally, detecting their trespass is all but impossible.

Meanwhile, the GFSZA removes the ability of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves, their family, and their friends within 1,000' of a school.

Finally, the GFSZA puts law-abiding citizens in serious risk of inadvertent and unintended criminal activity. Put simply, those of us who're not absolutely certain of the precise location of each and every school in their state, risk inadvertently being within 1,000' of a school. If stopped for even a minor traffic violation, or if they're involved in an accident, they could be charged with felony violation of the ridiculous GFSZA.

I would argue that it is humanly impossible to know the precise locations of each and every school within their city. Here in Colorado Springs, for example, there are 787 schools!

The only practical alternative is to go unarmed, which is a serious infringement on our right to keep and bear arms.

Again, Congressman X, please join Representative Ron Paul from Texas in repealing this ridiculous and grossly un-Constitutional infringement on our Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Please stand with us!

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Daylen

No clue. Maybe someone who happens to be at an event that Ron Paul is going to be at can ask him about this.

I would bet Bohner hid it there because he doesn't want a vote to happen on this bill.