• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

US News & World Report rates Virginia as best state for gun carry rights in DC region

Mike

Site Co-Founder
US News & World Report rates Virginia as best state for gun carry rights in DC region

http://realestate.usnews.com/real-estate/articles/dc-maryland-or-virginia-where-should-you-live

SNIP

"Virginia has the least restrictive gun laws. Of the three jurisdictions, Virginia’s gun laws are the least restrictive. It’s a lot more straightforward to get a concealed carry permit in Virginia, whereas Maryland is much more reluctant to issue them, says Boyce. Virginia is also an “open carry” state, meaning that you can carry a gun without a permit in most counties, except Arlington, Fairfax or Alexandria. In Maryland, the permit application asks why you want the permit, “and they have the authority to deny you if they don’t like your reason . . ."

- Break -

OpenCarry.org Comment: This article overstates the practical consequences of Virginia's regulation of open carry in cities and specified counties.

Virginia Code § 18.2-287.4 is just a paper tiger as it does NOT ban gun carry in cities nor in the specified counties listed in the statute, nor does that statute generally require possession of a concealed handgun permit (CHP) to open carry firearms within city limits.

Possession of a CHP to open carry in cities and specified counties is only required if the firearm is "equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered."

As a practical matter, the vast majority of open carriers in Virginia and all states are carrying handguns, and not long guns. Moreover, it is very impractical, and in practice, rare, for any open carrier to possess "a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition."

davidmcbeth

Banned
Aside from the fact that gun rights are the same everywhere [how can they not be?] ... looking at better than DC is a pretty low bar, eh?

utbagpiper

Banned
Perhaps it was just confirmation bias on my part, but in prior trips to the DC area I have noticed a distinct difference between the Virginia side of the DC metro and the Maryland side of the DC metro. I've never seen anything in the DC metro that caused me any concern or even major annoyance while on the Virginia side. But crossing into Maryland I've noted much more loud, obnoxious, and crude conduct.

Similarly, I've never seen anything in the Crystal / Pentagon City area that gave me any reason to be concerned to be out walking about after dark. Most folks seem to have a bit of that Southern Hospitality about them even that far north. Not near what they do down around Virginia Tech. But noticeably better in Arlington than in Baltimore.

While there are very nice neighborhoods in Maryland, the ones I rode the Metro through were not places I wanted to be afoot even in broad daylight.

Both Reagan and Dulles seem to be in better repair, with less graffiti, than is Baltimore.

I quite like visiting Virginia whether for work or personal. Maryland, not so much.

Charles