• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Using cheap reloading brass

09jisaac

Is it detrimental to accuracy to use cheap brass (Winchester silver box, federal blue box) as long as I measure each to make sure that they're all close to the same size?

How many times can I reload the same brass?

Also, can I reload nickel plated brass (I think). They're winchester premium 9mm and ballistic silvertip .308.

Last question, Is there any way to reload steel cased ammo. Is it worth reloading?

I have tried using google and I just come back recommending brass, not telling me if I can do what with what I have.

jeeper1

There is no reason why you can't reload "cheap" boxer primed brass. It not going to affect accuracy. just make sure they hold the bullet securely.

Pistol cases can be reloaded until they split or the primer pockets won't hold the primers securely.

Rifle cases can be reloaded an unknown number of times depending on many things such as how powerful the charge, how much they stretch and are trimmed. I used to shoot IHMSA with an XP100 in 708 Remington and neck sized only the cases and got more than 100 reloads out of them. I still reload them for plinking with light loads.

I prefer to reload nickel plated cases, it's easier.

Steel cases can be reloaded, I have a bunch of WW2 steel 45acp cases I have reloaded a few times. It is very hard on the dies and can only be reloaded about 4 times. It is not worth the trouble to do.

09jisaac

That is what I thought, about the steel case, I didn't figure they were worth reloading so I already threw them all out. I have about 100 spent brass of .308, .243, and 9mm and about 200 rounds of .223. I even managed to get some .45 acps in my dealing somehow.

My .308 about all I ever do with it is shoot to around 400yds at most. But I am just getting whatever I can afford to shoot at the time, I think with good hand loaded brass I can stretch that out to 600 (with a little bit more skill).

Thanks jeeper1. Like I said I tried googleing it and only found brass for sale and the recommendation for brass (Lapua,Norma, etc)