• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCU-MCV boundaries

The Wolfhound

I heard on the news this morning that the MCV campus of VCU has adopted restrictions of no smoking on all of the campus. What raised the firearms issue flag was the CEO defining the campus to include Broad Street and the sidewalks there of. With the State sanctioned firearms restriction that VCU enjoys, does this boundary definition now mean we are in violation if we drive by, armed, on Broad Street? As far as smoking goes the CEO was clear that he believed it to be an area that was part of the campus and very much under their jurisdiction. I find the encroachment of VCU onto the public streets worrisome. Any one got clarification on this?

Thundar

Fear not these petty tyrants

Stay out of their buildings and carry on.

They have never had a right to restrict your movements except (maybe) in buildings.

Now that RKBA is incorporated section 1983 suits can be initiated against the petty tyrants for civil rights violations. Make sure they know this if they hassle you. Carry on.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We'll find out. I'm going to smoke a whole pack in front of a few of the buildings and see just what they're going to do about it.

The Wolfhound

As far as smoking on campus is concerned the stated remedy is to politely ask the smoker to stop. Again if the street and sidewalks are officially "campus" are we commiting a violation in merely being armed and being there? We have operated under the presumption that we only had a problem in the buildings but the University seems to see their boundaries including the street. Can they legally extend their zone of control to include the street?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As far as smoking on campus is concerned the stated remedy is to politely ask the smoker to stop. Again if the street and sidewalks are officially "campus" are we commiting a violation in merely being armed and being there? We have operated under the presumption that we only had a problem in the buildings but the University seems to see their boundaries including the street. Can they legally extend their zone of control to include the street?

I'll be on the sidewalks and have already checked the property boundaries (This isn't new BTW)

They can politely ask what they want but the conversation will be anything but...on video of course.:D