• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vehicular lock box suggestions

Cobra469

imported post

I am looking for things to consider when picking a lock box I can secure my weapon in during transport. My state requires me to have it out of reach and in an "enclosed case" I figure a mounted lock box in my trunk would be the best way to go. This will give me the security when I need to leave it secured in my vehicle in case I need to go to a bank, or post office or such while allowing me to have access to it at other times. I am thing something using a key cause it gets frigid in WI and hate to replace batteries every other day to freezing. Combos may be slow for my needs as well.

How does everybody else have their setup for transport? I know some states allow you to carry it or secure it in the glove box but those who either require a locked box or use on please give me some ideas. I would like to start OCing but need to get all my ducks in a row first to make sure I can't get shafted by my local LEOs.

Dreamer

imported post

I went to Big Lots and got a Honeywell portable fire-and-water-proof safe, and a small cable lock for just this reason. The safe is a little larger than a lunchbox, and has a handle, which I run the cable lock through, and attach to the tie-down loops in the back of my SUV.

If I'm in a state where I can't wear it to and from the car, I leave my gun in the box, unlock the cable, and carry the safe into and out of the place where I'm staying. (This is how I do it when I visit my "secondary residence" in Maryland)

And the interior dimensions of this box are large enough that I can fit a ful-size 1911 inside it's Serpa CQC holster (the the paddle on) and two or three mags and their carriers all inside with no problems...

Of course, when I travel in MD, I have to drom the mag out of the pistol, take all the cartridges out of the mags, and store the mags and rounds in a SEPERATE locked container than the pistol. (under the current interpretation of the MSP--NOT the Statutes in MD--a loaded magazine is the same thing as a loaded firearm...)

The safe cost me under $30, and an "aircraft" cable lock was under $15. I don't have to drill any holes in my vehicle, it's secure, would be tough to steal, and it's water and fire proof, so even if something terrible should happen to my vehicle, my firearm would be safe. What's not to like? Gotta love BigLots...

Think "outside the box"... ;)

(stock photo from Honeywell's website)

Cobra469

imported post

Wow. I never thought of that. That is a great idea then I can throw some silicant in it and help keep it dry as well. Never thought to check the laws to make sure my weapon must be unloaded and what unloaded means during transport, so thanks for pointing out this posible delema that I might have faced. Now to figure out if there is a good spot to secure a lock to. That is a whole lot easier and non-destructive compared to mounting a secure box. I think the only spot I have to mount to that way is the top of the rear section of the trunk. Right were my speakers are.

MatieA

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I went to Big Lots and got a Honeywell portable fire-and-water-proof safe, and a small cable lock for just this reason. The safe is a little larger than a lunchbox, and has a handle, which I run the cable lock through, and attach to the tie-down loops in the back of my SUV.

If I'm in a state where I can't wear it to and from the car, I leave my gun in the box, unlock the cable, and carry the safe into and out of the place where I'm staying. (This is how I do it when I visit my "secondary residence" in Maryland)

And the interior dimensions of this box are large enough that I can fit a ful-size 1911 inside it's Serpa CQC holster (the the paddle on) and two or three mags and their carriers all inside with no problems...

Of course, when I travel in MD, I have to drom the mag out of the pistol, take all the cartridges out of the mags, and store the mags and rounds in a SEPERATE locked container than the pistol. (under the current interpretation of the MSP--NOT the Statutes in MD--a loaded magazine is the same thing as a loaded firearm...)

The safe cost me under $30, and an "aircraft" cable lock was under $15. I don't have to drill any holes in my vehicle, it's secure, would be tough to steal, and it's water and fire proof, so even if something terrible should happen to my vehicle, my firearm would be safe. What's not to like? Gotta love BigLots...

Think "outside the box"... ;)

(stock photo from Honeywell's website)
You need to be careful with this style of box. They are definately affordable but some state that they are not to be used for firearms. My insurance company will not cover my pistol if I lock it in a box that says not to use it for firearms. GoofyI know but that is their decision on it.

Dreamer

imported post

The box that this safe came in from the manufacturer actually has printed on it a picture of the safe, open, with a pistol inside, and on the side of the box, it lists the sorts of things that they recommend using it for, including passports, documents, rare coins, and firearms...

But maybe I should check with my insurance company to see what they say. Thanks for the "heads up". I know that automobile insurance is notoriously flaky...

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I also like the Center-of-Mass lock boxes. I have two that use the same key and they come with a woven steel cable that I wrap around the seat frame of the passenger seat. I leave it on the floor behind the passenger seat with the floor-mat over it.

scorpio_vette

imported post

please correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought in wisconsin the transportation law says something like "in a case intended for firearms". i thought i remembered reading that before. so does that mean it has to be a actual gun case, or would these lock boxes like the one from big lots also qualify???

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
please correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought in wisconsin the transportation law says something like "in a case intended for firearms". i thought i remembered reading that before. so does that mean it has to be a actual gun case, or would these lock boxes like the one from big lots also qualify???
I don't know about the specifics of the law referred to but my question is this:

Who determines if a case IS a "case intended for firearms"?

I would argue that the statute is vague if I were charged for having a gun in a portable locking case in my trunk! Also, how would they even know what was in it UNLESS your did not avail yourself of your 5th amendment US constitutional rights?

Rattrapper

imported post

Hey Folks, for a generic and inexspensive lock box I once took an ammo can and bolted to the inside of my PU behind the seat a fixed a locking hasp to it with pad lock and I was all set. Glued dense foam rubber inside. You can be as simple or fancy as need to be. Just a thought.

Motofixxer

imported post

If your charged with any of these statute violations. Just go to court and refuse to identify yourself as the legal "person" on the citation. Then refuse to pay any of these ridiculous violations as a sovereign being. Research "Sovereign" on youtube and google. It will amaze you.

inbox485

Anything but a GunVault:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1frG-SfTz5s

Description:

GunVaults are a brilliant design with a fatal flaw. If they are exposed to a static shock while plugged into an AC adapter they reset to the factory default combination. The first one I had not only reset, but opened itself and actually started smoking. I sent it back and they seemed to have fixed that issue. But three units in a row that I have had reset themselves if shocked and GunVault does not appear to be fixing this issue. I've waited a long time to see if they respond to the issue, I've sent repeated e-mails, and I've spoken to GunVault reps about the issue. I'm not generally the type to spread this sort of info, but I can't trust this product, and neither should anybody else. Until this issue is fixed and only if GunVault replaces the units I have will I consider doing business with this company again.

The step are simple. I demonstrate that the default passcode doesn't work, then I demonstrate the passcode it is set to. I shuffle my feet and touch the case giving it a shock (it was dry and windy at the time). Then I demonstrate that the passcode I set no longer works and the default passcode does. I then repeated it on a second unit so that it is clear that it isn't just this one unit with a problem.

The noise in the background are birds.

VFORVENDETTA

Anything but a GunVault:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1frG-SfTz5s

Description:

GunVaults are a brilliant design with a fatal flaw. If they are exposed to a static shock while plugged into an AC adapter they reset to the factory default combination. The first one I had not only reset, but opened itself and actually started smoking. I sent it back and they seemed to have fixed that issue. But three units in a row that I have had reset themselves if shocked and GunVault does not appear to be fixing this issue. I've waited a long time to see if they respond to the issue, I've sent repeated e-mails, and I've spoken to GunVault reps about the issue. I'm not generally the type to spread this sort of info, but I can't trust this product, and neither should anybody else. Until this issue is fixed and only if GunVault replaces the units I have will I consider doing business with this company again.

The step are simple. I demonstrate that the default passcode doesn't work, then I demonstrate the passcode it is set to. I shuffle my feet and touch the case giving it a shock (it was dry and windy at the time). Then I demonstrate that the passcode I set no longer works and the default passcode does. I then repeated it on a second unit so that it is clear that it isn't just this one unit with a problem.

The noise in the background are birds.

You could always move to a humid climate.