• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Assembly goes to the Democrats

taurusfan

Here's some of what we can expect now that the Democrats control everything in Virginia:

1) universal background checks

2) ban on assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, bump stocks and silencers

3) one-handgun-a-month law

4) require lost and stolen firearms be reported to police within 24 hours

5) allow localities to enact firearm ordinances that are stricter than state law

6) penalty for allowing a child access to loaded, punishment for unsecured firearms should be enhanced from a misdemeanor to a felony and the age of the children the law applies to should be raised from 14 to 18.

7) extreme risk protection orders, which allow a third party — in Virginia, officials said this would be a police officer or prosecutor — to petition a judge for a warrant to seize legally owned guns

FreedomVA

FREEDOM VA!!!!!!!!!!! This is what happens when you have transplant

Last edited:

taurusfan

Governor Northam said on CNN, "Getting rid of bump stocks, high volume magazines, red flag laws. These are common-sense pieces of legislation...I will introduce those again in January. And I'm convinced, with the majority now in the House and the Senate, they'll become law and because of that, Virginia will be safer." (Comments by Northam on CNN's New Day.)

Pass a law in Virginia like New Jersey just did? making it illegal to possess a magazine with a capacity over 10 rounds? That doesn't make anyone safer, it just means law abiding people will be restricted.

OC for ME

One step closer to outlawing the carry of sidearms in public. Lobby Day will be gun free. OC will be outlawed, then CC will be next. Signs will carry the weight of law.

Could be getting dire in Virginia if the liberals get their way...and I do not see much that will deter them.

solus

Whom do I contact to propose and contribute a paltry sixpence or two to build a wall around VA to protect NC foremost and maybe the rest of the STATES from this impending lunacy and chaos ?

time to circle up the suburbans, F150s, and get out the concertina wire for the border checkpoints on I 95 & 85...

BCDC0B3F-FBDA-4929-929C-F80C18679297.jpeg

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
In 2008 the United States Supreme Court in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 592, 171 L.Ed 2d 637, 128 S.Ct. 2783 (2008) declared “we find that they guarantee the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation. This meaning is strongly confirmed by the historical background of the Second Amendment.”

More importantly, Heller did not limit the right to bear arms. It specifically stated, “Second Amendment implicitly recognizes the pre-existence of the right and declares only that it ‘shall not be infringed.” The Court reiterated, “Our opinion is, that any law, State or Federal, is repugnant to the Constitution, and void, which contravenes this right, originally belonging to our forefathers.”

So, when is the USSC going to enforce their findings?

OC for ME

The supreme court may reprimand, censure, discipline, suspend, retire, or remove a judge. Rare, but it can happen.
All true...but judges do not do not interdict cops bent of infringing upon our 2A at the behest of our elected representatives...we shall see if the USSC prevents Virginia from enacting infringements.

2a4all

All true...but judges do not do not interdict cops bent of infringing upon our 2A at the behest of our elected representatives...we shall see if the USSC prevents Virginia from enacting infringements.
In order for SCOTUS to "prevent", someone must file a case to be reviewed through the appellate court, in this case the 4th Circuit. This court has already upheld more than one "infringement" (e.g. MD's Assault Weapons ban, Kolbe v. Hogan) and SCOTUS declined to hear the appeal. Conversely, the Second, Seventh, and DC circuits have all held semi-automatic rifles are protected by the Second Amendment.
Other "infringements" by other states are making their way through the system, but very slowly.

OC for ME

In order for SCOTUS to "prevent", someone must file a case to be reviewed through the appellate court, in this case the 4th Circuit. This court has already upheld more than one "infringement" (e.g. MD's Assault Weapons ban, Kolbe v. Hogan) and SCOTUS declined to hear the appeal. Conversely, the Second, Seventh, and DC circuits have all held semi-automatic rifles are protected by the Second Amendment.
Other "infringements" by other states are making their way through the system, but very slowly.
The USSC is loath to rule on "shall not be infringed" outright because some anti-individual liberty states would not repeal their infringing laws...and the USSC cannot compel them to repeal these infringing laws...no enforcement arm at the USSC.

Cops must enforce these unconstitutional laws and far too many do...with enthusiasm and a drawn gun. There is now a dead citizen in MD due to MD's cops enthusiastically enforcing a anti-gun law...where was the USSC then?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
The USSC is loath to rule on "shall not be infringed" outright because some anti-individual liberty states would not repeal their infringing laws...and the USSC cannot compel them to repeal these infringing laws...no enforcement arm at the USSC.

Cops must enforce these unconstitutional laws and far too many do...with enthusiasm and a drawn gun. There is now a dead citizen in MD due to MD's cops enthusiastically enforcing a anti-gun law...where was the USSC then?
The USSC has ruled, I posted it above. And you are correct that the USSC have no police powers.

I must disagree that cops must enforce unconstitutional laws, if anything they have a duty not to enforce unconstitutional laws.

OC for ME

The USSC has ruled, I posted it above. And you are correct that the USSC have no police powers.

I must disagree that cops must enforce unconstitutional laws, if anything they have a duty not to enforce unconstitutional laws.
Reality bites...though, you are correct, if a cop can not be compelled to save you, he most certainly cannot be compelled to arrest you...unfortunately cops will more often times than not arrest you against his subdued principles.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Reality bites...though, you are correct, if a cop can not be compelled to save you, he most certainly cannot be compelled to arrest you...unfortunately cops will more often times than not arrest you against his subdued principles.
They know who signs their paycheck. They are not adverse to taking blood money.