• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Asheville Airport today

SovereignAxe

TN resident here visiting Asheville Airport later today to pick up a friend. Was wondering what the deal was. Handgunlaw.us is vague on it, but I've heard it might not be ok at that airport. I've also heard that you can't conceal-OC only. What gives?

SovereignAxe

Well, upon further research it seems that airports are off limits, including leaving the gun in the car in some municipal codes, but state law overrides these codes. So leaving it in the car is ok, but it seems like I should probably keep it unloaded. Has my google-fu been good to me?

chiefjason

Asheville airport is the only occasion where I have seen Going Armed to the Terror of the Public stick for simply OC'ing a handgun. It did not help that the POTUS was flying out of there that day either.

rotorhead

Well, upon further research it seems that airports are off limits, including leaving the gun in the car in some municipal codes, but state law overrides these codes. So leaving it in the car is ok, but it seems like I should probably keep it unloaded. Has my google-fu been good to me?

Not sure specifically about the Ashville airport, but one note is that NC generally does not differentiate between loaded and unloaded when referencing handguns in state law. What this means is that if you have it, you have it. If you don't you don't. The fact that it's loaded or not is not usually a factor. This is normally the scenario when dealing with gun laws in NC.

For example, if you are cited with a carrying a concealed weapon charge (or any other infraction/ violation), it won't matter whether it was loaded or not.

WNCTarheel

Asheville airport is the only occasion where I have seen Going Armed to the Terror of the Public stick for simply OC'ing a handgun. It did not help that the POTUS was flying out of there that day either.

Incorrect. If you are referring to the incident where the person was arrested when Obama was flying out of the Asheville airport, the GATTTOTP charge was DROPPED. The person WAS convicted of carrying on city property though. Different charge.

As far as I know, the airport is still currently run by the city and therefore is prohibited to carry there. This situation may be changing in the future as the status of the city continueing to run the airport is being discussed.

SovereignAxe

I didn't get any responses before I left, so I left it in the car. I saw the signs at the entrance that has some sort of law code on them too-which I guess is an enforceable municipal statute.

Incorrect. If you are referring to the incident where the person was arrested when Obama was flying out of the Asheville airport, the GATTTOTP charge was DROPPED. The person WAS convicted of carrying on city property though. Different charge.

As far as I know, the airport is still currently run by the city and therefore is prohibited to carry there. This situation may be changing in the future as the status of the city continueing to run the airport is being discussed.

What's the deal with carrying on city property? As in the whole city, or city run buildings like the bans on government buildings?

chiefjason

Well then. We are back to zero on the GATTOP charges for OC'ing in NC. Good and bad news I guess. I could have sworn I read they convicted him on GATTTOTP. And I probably did. But I found an article that matches what you are saying as well. And it answers my questions on how they got GATTTOTP to stick, they didn't.

chiefjason

I didn't get any responses before I left, so I left it in the car. I saw the signs at the entrance that has some sort of law code on them too-which I guess is an enforceable municipal statute.

What's the deal with carrying on city property? As in the whole city, or city run buildings like the bans on government buildings?

Generally speaking a city or county can restrict carry in their building, parking lots, and adjacent grounds. For instance, you can't carry in the courthouse, in the parking lot, or any of the grounds of the courthouse. But walking along the sidewalk in front of the courthouse should be fine. Maybe this will help. Notice that vehicle storage if fine.

(f) Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from application of their authority under G.S. 153A‑129, 160A‑189, 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, 14‑277.2, 14‑415.11, 14‑415.23, including prohibiting the possession of firearms in public‑owned buildings, on the grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks or recreation areas, except nothing in this subsection shall prohibit a person from storing a firearm within a motor vehicle while the vehicle is on these grounds or areas. Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from exercising powers provided by law in declared states of emergency under Article 36A of this Chapter.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-409.40.html