• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting County and City Reps

Will you call, write, or meet your representatives about the OC petition?

• Yes, I wrote my representatives

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I will write my representative later

• Yes, I did call and spoke with someone

• No, but I will call my representative later

• Yes, I meet my representatives in person

• No, but I will meet my representative later

• No, I havent done either, nor will I

• Possible unconcieved answer to the question

• Total voters

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I will be going to Milwaukee County Courthouse and City Hall Friday the 19th to try and speak with my representatives about the Open Carry petition and try to get some support behind it. My County rep is Marina Dimitrijevic and my Alderman is Robert Donovan and he ishead of the Committee on Public Safety. I was thinking of meeting the mayor, but....Id rather just send him an email. I was wondering who else had, or was going to do something to help the petition along in Milwaukee County?

Support The 2nd

imported post

Here is how I see it...

We were told this would be introduced on a few select counties with petitions and so on. We were supposed to get training in how to introduce it, talk with the press, talk to the boards, etc.

What actually happened was an out-of-stater sent this to every county, some with petitions, some without. In at least one case, he didn't even take the time to find out the right people to send it to.

Many of the people he sent it to, will just pitch it in the garbage, because that is what I would do as I DON'T want my county board acting on a resolution from an out-of-state individual or PAC.

In my case the resolution, as submitted, will go no where and I will look like German's flunky if I try to push this. Many of us thought the original idea was the right way to go, but just like every other politician, German said one thing and then did another.

So YES, I support the resolution IDEA. No I don't support the way it was done.

I guess you'd have to call that 50/50?

Added---

It was also suggested that TIMING of this could have potentially affected outcomes in state assembly and senate races. Now, because of the way this was done, we lost this as an issue.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Support The 2nd wrote:
We were supposed to get training in how to introduce it, talk with the press, talk to the boards, etc.
I think I thought that I had followed this issue rather closely but don't recall 'training' et cetera. With the egalitarianism practiced here, that won't fly very far. I am an elected board member and am extremely prejudiced against some presenting themselves as Wisconsin gun safety trainers and that based on their appearance alone.

I think that we should each stand as individuals and raise our voices though they quaver. We don't need 'leaders' that would be leaders because power tends to corrupt and gun control is about control.

Send your resolution petition with our best wishes.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Have e-mailed two police agencies about open carry but not the petition, I have not yet become involved in the petition myself yet but am willing to. I plan to actually figure out who my reps areand e-mail or meet with them and if it will help open carry that will be included in my discussion. Does anyone know where I can find who my representatives are? this is my first year being able to vote.

Ben

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

It is/was a county petition, for presentation to County Boards of Supervisors.

My rationale being that the State representatives are fully in the pockets of their gun-control handlers from the left or the right. Remember that the NRA and BCPHGV are against open carry, all that depend on infringements as raison d'etre.

Support The 2nd

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Support The 2nd wrote:
We were supposed to get training in how to introduce it, talk with the press, talk to the boards, etc.
I think I thought that I had followed this issue rather closely but don't recall 'training' et cetera.
This http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/reply.php?topic_id=16260&post_id=266816&quote=1is a copy of German's original email as I understand it
What I will do:
I will discuss this proposal with you and answer your questions by email (genegerman@ccwtrainer.com) so you are prepared. (Also see training date below)
Once you make your request, let me know when this will be placed on your county boards’ agenda.

If you are not comfortable discussing this with the media, you can refer them to me. They will be calling.

I will share your success with others on my website (Wisconsin page), as you create momentum.

Training:

I am holding Liberty Training on Sunday, November 18th at the Oconomowoc Sportsman's Club, N5799 Mill Road, Concord, Wis. 53178-9734 phone: 262-593-8990. We will start at 1 p m and go until everyone is up to speed. I realize this is the deer hunting opener weekend, but it is the only date I have open in November.

This training will further explain what we are doing, answer your questions, and to prepare you to speak at your county board meeting. There will be a nominal fee of $10 per person to cover costs. You can either email me or call 612.388.2403 with your name and your email address to register (registration is required). Space is limited so please reserve your seat early. Your check can be mailed to Gene German, P O Box 202, Excelsior, MN 55331.
So how do we gain momentum? When these county board leaders get together, BChairman1 says "did you see that resolution?" BChairman2 says "yep, tossed it." and the momentum has just been lost.

I will wait four to six months before introducing the resolution now.

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug,it doesn't matterwho started the petition or who authored it. It was signed and is endorsedwholly by the residents of Wisconsin and if we let this chance pass, all the people that signed it will have been for moot. The petition you introduced has the same wording as this petition but not nearly as many signatures(yours had 1). Gene was not the one out there collecting signatures, it was Pete, Joe, Pointman, Rick Finsta, smithman, myself, and others, all of us Wisconsin residents who think this is a good petition. Ifthis petition fails, andanother one works later, Gene would still be able to do what he was intending to do after this one right? So the only difference is this one can help US sooner, or would you rather see the petition fail outright every time?The petition is sound and there is no reason we shouldn't support it on itsmerits alone.

2nd, training to speak with the reps never happenedto my knowledge.Gene seems too busy to speak with or respond to anyone now so I doubt informing him of anything would be useful. Introducing a petition (with im guessing the same wording) in a few months will have less effect than this petition that you think will be garbaged on sight, it will have less signatures and one supporter. To my knowledge Gene's name isn't anywhere on the petitions, why would you look like his flunky? Couldyou update your location info sowe know which county you refer to when you say "my case". People need to get over this idea that because an out of state personstarted, authored, or sent it that its an out of state effort, we in Wisconsin helped in no small way, how do you think the signatures were had? Gene didnt go to people and ask, nor did anyone OTHER than Wisconsin residents sign it. The people of Wisconsin think its a well written petition, andsome here on the WI forum thought it so good we actually went to help.

BJA, good work, at least one person isn't letting our efforts go to waste. You can find your reps by entering info on this page http://itmdapps.ci.mil.wi.us/electedreps/electrep.jsp

smithman

imported post

I think everybody who supports OC in WI should be involved with supporting the resolutions at their county boards. Whenever a board plans to vote on this issue, it would be wise to go and speak in favor of the petitions. Remind the boards and those in the room that we want equal treatment of all our rights when they are lawfully exercised. This means lawful firearm carry is protected the same as lawfully voting. You can't be arrested for lawfully voting so why is a different right exercised lawfully arrestable?? Its a crock---it doesn't agree with the statutes and doesn't pass a logic test. We need to remind LEOs that we are carrying (OC in a holster) the exact same way they do on duty!!!

What is the primary reason why we don't OC?? Fear of LEO harassment and/or arrest. This is the way they want it. Don't let them win!!!! Unfortunately for law enforcement, we have the laws on our side and our rights defending our lawful conduct. We know where we can and cannot carry. Rather than all of us get falsely arrested and fight it out in court individually, we need to let law enforcement and the public know that it is legal. Granted it is sad when we have to worry about being arrested for lawful conduct....but this won't change anytime soon unless something organized is done. This is what the resolutions accomplish.

Here are things that can happen as a result of the resoutions. The county boards will be debating it amongst themselves. They WILL be asking their sherrifs and captains in the meantime! They WILL be asking their DA's! They may ask AG Van Hollen! Word gets around alot faster than individuals fighting in on their own. If you want to get anything to change in government and you don't have the votes to legislate, you must use unconventional tactics.