• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WalMart Workers on Pistol Patrol

BigStack

Btw... according to the law they know anyone who entered their business with a gun is licensed. ..cause they have a tabc sign declaring such.

My belief is that walmart is doing one of a few things... assuming their lawyers are not incompetant.
1. Straddling the line... they want to appease both sides... using this tabc thing is a scapegoat.
2. Waiting for some other company to foot the legal bill. (This is very unlikely to happen, cause tabc will never take it to court )
3. Doing this until they get confirmation in writing from the ag or tabc that they don't have to check licences.

Notice that the tabc, that I have seen, has not said businesses must check id. They have been careful in their wordsmithing.
When asked "do businesses need to check Id?" they will say something like " they can ask to see id"... not "they must". And they quote the law stating " knowingly allow ".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BigStack

(Sorry for edits...freaking smartphone typing and autocorrect )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

apjonas

Try This Comparison

It is unlawful for Wal*Mart (or any other purveyor of alcoholic beverages, whether for on/off premises consumption) to sell to a person under 21. Liability attaches to doing so. However, there is no law that requires a bar/store to demand proof of age (an "ID" shows who you are - and may not show age, so I say PoA is a better term). Anyway, since selling to an underage person is an offense, most stores insist on PoA - usually in the form of a government document (D.L., CHL, etc.) and it is perfectly legal for them to refuse to sell to anyone who does not produce documentation acceptable to the seller. Would Wal*Mart avoid liability by having a policy of assuming everyone who tries to buy Wild Turkey is 21+? Furthermore, deciding that an obvious senior citizen may buy Chivas Regal is less dicey than assuming all OC-customers are licensed. Verifying the license status of a handful (or even more) OC-customers beats fighting for your liquor license after you let unlicensed Billy Bob enter without challenge. How do you defend yourself? - "Well he had a moustache, was wearing sunglasses and sporting a big frickin' S&W belt buckle - he had to be licensed!

apjonas

Two Different Issues

I. On-Premise Consumption (bar/restaurant)

under 1/2 gross receipts attributable to alcohol (probably a restaurant) - no firearms unless carrying IAW CHL
over ("51%") (more likely a bar) felony to carry (incl. CHL)

II. Off-Premise Consumption (store/Wal*Mart)

unlawful to carry (concealed or openly) unless have CHL

It is this second issue that this thread addresses.

qednick

Has anyone in TX OC'd into a WalMart yet and actually been asked for their license? I haven't been asked yet. At first I wondered if this news article was BS. Now I'm wondering if there maybe is some kind of corporate policy but individual management are either picking and choosing, or maybe just not following it.

WalkingWolf

Has anyone in TX OC'd into a WalMart yet and actually been asked for their license? I haven't been asked yet. At first I wondered if this news article was BS. Now I'm wondering if there maybe is some kind of corporate policy but individual management are either picking and choosing, or maybe just not following it.

I have not seen an official Wally World statement on Texas OC yet. I will have to look today, if anyone has seen one please post it. I suspect it is the district manager in Texas and it may be only his/hers stores.

Hopefully the Texas legislature will fix this problem next session. Considering the Gov. Abbot is pro OC it would behove him to use whatever power or influence he has to put a stop to TABC working for mad mommies. That is if TABC has ever pulled a license for a party carrying unlicensed, without other circumstances, they have too much revenue to lose. Over 1 billion dollars a year is not chump change.

IMO a lot of people pro gun(FUDDS) and anti gun are throwing temper tantrums over OC.

This is what I found~~ http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-l...xas-walmarts-to-allow-open-carrywith-14251446

Brian Nick is a politician, he used to work for Pat McCRory here in NC. He left to work for Walmart as a communications spokesperson(bovine scatology professor). According to him it is not mandatory, but at manager discretion, which so far it appears managers are ignoring. This is similar to Starbucks, Target, and Chipotle, complete fence straddling pandering.

IF requested I suggest letting the managers pound sand, politely say no, then leave your cart and leave when asked to do so. Do not pay for items, do argue, do not put the items back. YOUR duty is to leave at that point. If the times the management does do that, you walk, they will get the hint fast.

To be honest most times I have to search the store for a manager if I need one, and it is only managers who are supposed to request permits.

This is a big non event being pushed as some sort of victory by Bloomhead news.

Last edited:

qednick

I have not seen an official Wally World statement on Texas OC yet. I will have to look today, if anyone has seen one please post it. I suspect it is the district manager in Texas and it may be only his/hers stores.

Hopefully the Texas legislature will fix this problem next session. Considering the Gov. Abbot is pro OC it would behove him to use whatever power or influence he has to put a stop to TABC working for mad mommies. That is if TABC has ever pulled a license for a party carrying unlicensed, without other circumstances, they have too much revenue to lose. Over 1 billion dollars a year is not chump change.

IMO a lot of people pro gun(FUDDS) and anti gun are throwing temper tantrums over OC.

This is what I found~~ http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-l...xas-walmarts-to-allow-open-carrywith-14251446

Brian Nick is a politician, he used to work for Pat McCRory here in NC. He left to work for Walmart as a communications spokesperson(bovine scatology professor). According to him it is not mandatory, but at manager discretion, which so far it appears managers are ignoring. This is similar to Starbucks, Target, and Chipotle, complete fence straddling pandering.

IF requested I suggest letting the managers pound sand, politely say no, then leave your cart and leave when asked to do so. Do not pay for items, do argue, do not put the items back. YOUR duty is to leave at that point. If the times the management does do that, you walk, they will get the hint fast.

To be honest most times I have to search the store for a manager if I need one, and it is only managers who are supposed to request permits.

This is a big non event being pushed as some sort of victory by Bloomhead news.

I agree completely. Although not a member, I've been scouring other forums to keep ahead of developments and haven't seen anybody yet that's been asked by WM management for CHL/LTC. Also seen a few reports of ppl visiting Target, What-a-burger, Starbucks, et al OC with no issues. Definitely fence straddling as you said.

bushwacker

yes I did , you can read about it in the 3hours and 58 minutes into 2016 , thread

bigsranch

OC in Wal Mart

Well I've been in couple times clearly OC and nobody asked me for papers. Haven't seen or heard anything else on the interspleb either. Not sure if this article is BS.

I've OC'd several times in Wal-Marts in Houston and San Antonio. Nobody bothered me. Or paid any attention, as a matter of fact.

MarlboroLts5150

Also, pic'd this a few weeks ago at a Walmart in NW San Antonio. Note how they added to the sign... "except by previous Written Authorization from the Owner of this Business".

This is not at every Walmart. We all know Walmart's weapons policy when it comes to the carry of guns. This is coming from a mis-interpretation of TABC's and TX state law.

IMO, TABC needs to step up and clarify the law.

Attachments

• 20160109_163646_resized(1).jpg
    20160109_163646_resized(1).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Yeah, whichever of Walmart's lawyers ****** this up need to be given the boot. How could Walmart with all of their resources make such a stupid mistake as this? When one can simply call the TABC and the TABC says plainly that Walmart employees do not need to do this, how could Walmart possible come to believe that they need to except through gross negligence and ignorance? Unless they did contact the TABC and the TABC straight lied to them? Regardless, this is extremely shameful of Walmart. They need to get a grip and get their ship in order.

MarlboroLts5150

I don't believe Walmart as a whole is doing it, as not every Walmart is posted with that sign. I've only seen this one. Seems more to me that it's the Store Managers.

If this was Walmart's policy, EVERY store would be posted.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Seems more to me that it's the Store Managers...

I agree, except it seems obvious that something like this would be run by the district managers and up the chain until handled by an expert in that department. Things are so much simpler in a freer state, but Texas will eventually get smoother and smoother with their new freedoms.

Last edited:

notalawyer

Also, pic'd this a few weeks ago at a Walmart in NW San Antonio. Note how they added to the sign... "except by previous Written Authorization from the Owner of this Business".

This is not at every Walmart. We all know Walmart's weapons policy when it comes to the carry of guns. This is coming from a mis-interpretation of TABC's and TX state law.

Well, once they added that verbiage, they nullified the sign. It no longer comports with the law. Also, they cannot authorize someone to violate the law.

qednick

Whoaaa! Which NW S.A. WalMart was this exactly?