• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well; looks like I started a little fruckus

F350

Well; looks like I started a little fruckus in the editorial section of the Grand Junction, CO paper. The wife, myself and another couple went to a local establishment for Sunday breakfast, the following Sunday in the anonymous YOU SAID IT column I see a post from a pantie wetter. We were gone week 2, but week 3 were 2 more postings so I went to the library and got week 2. I am polishing my reply which will be in post #2

Attachments

• Spoons week 1.jpg
    Spoons week 1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 330
  • Spoons week 2.jpg
    Spoons week 2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 340
  • Spoons week 2a.jpg
    Spoons week 2a.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 328
  • Spoons week 3.jpg
    Spoons week 3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 352

F350

To the editor

As it seems I am the man at Spoons that has started a bit of a furor in the YOU SAID IT column lately, may I say a few words?

To the original poster who did not feel comfortable because I had no badge or anything. You obviously saw only the gun and not the totality of the situation. I was wearing a nice pair of khakis, golf shirt and a fine Resistol western style straw hat, which I removed upon entering unlike 99% of men today. I was with my wife and another couple. We had our breakfast outside and when we were done we not only cleared our own table but another table that had been left a mess by previous diners because we know Spoons is a nonprofit operated in support of Hospice, a fine and respected organization. How's that for an act of bullying poster #3?

Ask any police officer how many criminals they have encountered openly carrying a holstered handgun? Criminals conceal their weapons without any kind of holster so they can ditch their gun and play the "Gun? What gun? I ain't got no gun" game. It would be pretty had to play that game with a holster "strapped to my waist" along with the spare magazine holder on the other side. I embrace the Colorado Constitution which guarantees everyone the right to "keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property... but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons." (Article 2 section 13) The practice of carrying a concealed weapon was reserved to the card sharp, pimp, hustler and back alley thug. Honest men carried their pistols in the open with nothing to hide.

To the third poster who spoke of the training required to be competent with a handgun. Are you aware on average someone going through a police academy receives only between 60 and 90 hours of training and only qualifies 1-2 times a year? The Peace Officer Standards and Training Board of Colorado firearm training requirements allows for academy trainees to fail to qualify 3 times with remedial training between each attempt before being able to qualify on the fourth attempt. That badge is not a magic talisman imparting firearms expertise. Most of the open carriers I know will practice at least every other month and some far more than that because we enjoy shooting and will fire more rounds in a year than the average police officer will fire in five or ten years. To most police officers the gun is just one of many tools they have, and just like you will not see a carpenter practicing with his hammer on the weekends, most police officers do not practice on their own.

Personally, I was heavily involved in combat style pistol competitions and I fired 80-100,000 rounds per year for 15 years, that's more rounds a year than a dozen officers combined will fire in their careers. We had several police officers come out to a match, get humiliated and leave never to be seen again. A few realized the practice they got in a match was far superior to any official training they received and came back. Most became pretty good competitors after a while. Most serious competitors don't even consider the standard police qualification course of fire to be a warm up for serious practice.

Finally to the second poster who spoke of my being able to protect everyone if "someone went off their rocker." I am no police officer. I carry to protect myself, my wife and companions. Sure in such an event others no doubt would benefit from my self-protection, but running to protect others in an unknown situation is highly dangerous. Recently in Las Vegas a man and wife killed two police officers in a diner and then the killers proceeded across the street to the Walmart and the male fired a shot and ordered everyone out. A concealed carry permit holder drew his weapon and closed in on the shooter, only to be shot in the back by the shooter's wife, though the Main Stream Media continues to call him a "bystander".

When police respond to an active shooter they don't send one officer, they respond in force, wearing body armor and using tactics they practice where they provide mutual protection to each other. As a former Marine and Reserve Deputy Sheriff it would be hard not to "ride to the sound of the guns", but one must weigh the odds of one's actions and the consequences. As I said I carry for me and mine, IF I think I can safely help someone else I will. But every person has the guaranteed right to the means of self-defense and no right to depend on others to put their lives at risk to protect them. Right on #4.

Just like my sidearm, I put this letter in the open over my name for I have nothing to hide.

Robert X Xxxxxx

sheepdog

...thank you for an awesomely reasoned response to the citizen comments...you represent OC well...

Maverick9

Verbose, rambling, unnecessary, pointless.

You might recall that antis are not persuaded by reason or logic. :)

twoskinsonemanns

To become competent with a fire arm takes hours and hours of regular training and a natural ability?
I'm pretty curious how they formed that opinion?

stealthyeliminator

To become competent with a fire arm takes hours and hours of regular training and a natural ability?
I'm pretty curious how they formed that opinion?

Funny how he didn't offer up his personal qualifications but did mention the fact that he carries. Sounds like a typical-tacticool gun-snob to me.

F350

I'll bet you're one of those gun nuts who owns a big F350 dually. Anyway, i would've just neener neener'd them. ;)

You forgot diesel :lol: I was real tempted to invite the original poster to move back to Kalifornia but there are quite a few undecided in the area so I decided to try a reasoned approach.

OC for ME

You forgot diesel :lol: I was real tempted to invite the original poster to move back to Kalifornia but there are quite a few undecided in the area so I decided to try a reasoned approach.
Didn't mention diesel cuz it goes without saying. ;)

...anyone who owns a F350 gasser (do they even make those)...well, Mommy's boy comes to mind.

Arin Morris

Thoughtful response. A couple of corrections if you haven't already sent it off.

Ask any police officer how many criminals they have encountered openly carrying a holstered handgun? Criminals conceal their weapons without any kind of holster so they can ditch their gun and play the "Gun? What gun? I ain't got no gun" game. It would be pretty hard to play that game with a holster "strapped to my waist" along with the spare magazine holder on the other side. I embrace the Colorado Constitution which guarantees everyone the right to "keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property... but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons." (Article 2 section 13) The practice of carrying a concealed weapon was reserved to the card shark, pimp, hustler and back alley thug. Honest men carried their pistols in the open with nothing to hide.

I'm not trying to be a grammar Nazi, just wanted to point these out since it will be published.

F350

Thoughtful response. A couple of corrections if you haven't already sent it off.

I'm not trying to be a grammar Nazi, just wanted to point these out since it will be published.

Thanks; it's kinda hard to edit your own stuff because you know what you wanted to say and miss the little stuff.