• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What age did you start carrying a weapon?

phleye

I'm curious to know at what age you all started carrying a weapon and what was it? For me it was a 4" Gerber folding knife at the age of 12. I would carry it when I was collecting for my Journal route (did I just age myself? haha). When I turned 16 and got a car I carried a billy club in it and actually had to pull it out once to stop a "situation" in my neighborhood. I have since graduated to carrying an ASP baton in both my cars and I have one on my headboard too. I also just ordered the small one for Nov. 1st :) By the way I still have the billy club hid somewhere in the house for an emergency :lol:

HandyHamlet

Most people here don't carry weapons.

When I was 12 a folding knife was a tool you were required to have on you at all times. If you didn't have your knife on you you would be in trouble. Be prepared.

It was not a weapon.

I NEVER carry a weapon. I don't own a weapon. I suggest you adopt the same policy.

Last edited:

phleye

When I was 12 a folding knife was a tool you were required to have on you at all times. If you didn't have your knife on you you would be in trouble. Be prepared.

It was not a weapon.

I NEVER carry a weapon. I don't own a weapon. I suggest you adopt the same policy.

I'm confused....I think everyone here carry's a weapon. So knives/batons/guns are "tools?" Then why is it called a Concealed Carry "Weapon" Permit and not a Concealed Carry "Tool" permit? Tools are for working on the house and car. What about "Weapons" of Mass Destruction? So the military uses "tools" to defend our country? So confused......

Patriot2A

I'm confused....I think everyone here carry's a weapon. So knives/batons/guns are "tools?" Then why is it called a Concealed Carry "Weapon" Permit and not a Concealed Carry "Tool" permit? Tools are for working on the house and car. What about "Weapons" of Mass Destruction? So the military uses "tools" to defend our country? So confused......

He's trying to prove a point. He's very enthusiastic about proving it.

HandyHamlet

People here carry firearms. Sidearms. Pistols. Revolvers. Collectors items...

A hammer can be used as a weapon. Yet you don't need a permit to hide one under your coat. Nor will you get arrested if your shirt covers it up as it hangs from your belt. A screw driver can be a weapon. A chair. A rock. A fork. A pen...

Regarding "weapons of mass destruction"... We never found any.

I would not call our enlisted men "tools". It will rile feathers here quickly.

He's trying to prove a point. He's very enthusiastic about proving it.

Not PROVING a point but MAKING a point.

Big difference.

Like the difference between a firearm and a weapon.

:)

hint: semantics is everything.

Last edited:

Zeus

18 is when I started. Before that I did have a baseball bat, a knife, a BB gun, a .22 and a 30-30. When I turned 18 Uncle Sam issued me a "weapon". I have had one ever since. Semper Fi.

Interceptor_Knight

Nothing is automatically a weapon and everything is potentially a weapon. The proper mindset of self defense is that you are willing to be brutal enough fast enough to stop a threat against yourself. While a pocket knife is a tool to most people who carry one, a simple pocket comb can be used as a weapon.
The letter of the law says that if you place a screwdriver in your pocket with the intention of using it as a weapon, you may be cited for carrying a deadly weapon.

Captain Nemo

The first time I carried an implement capable of expelling a projectile by the force of gunpowder was when I was 9 years old. The implement was a .22 caliber single shot Stevens rifle. Back in the '50's my friend Billy Diver and I spent many hours and days in the woods of Northern Minnesota with our implements. His was a single shot Hamerlii. If we were going to "camp"out over a week end our folks would give us each three bullets for each day. And OH MY Gosh no adult supervison. What will become of me?

MR Redenck

Uhm?? I cant ever remember not having a pocket knife on me. Think I got my first knife when I was 5.
Guns, I havent always been much of an avid gun carrying person. Always had em, just never really got interested in carrying them till just a few years ago. To be honest, I still dont care much for carrying a handgun. With that said I see no reason why carrying a handgun should be illegal either. If I feel like doing it, then I should have to worry about getting in trouble for it.

MKEgal

HandyHamlet said:
... I NEVER carry a weapon. I don't own a weapon.
Ditto.
Weapons are intended to harm people.
I hope I NEVER have to harm anyone.
But if I do have to stop an attack, I won't be shooting to harm, I'll be shooting to stop.
Problem is that the most effective way to stop an attack is to do serious damage to, or kill, the attacker (assuming he doesn't mind his manners one he sees you have a gun).

Once you cross the mental line from "stop hurting me!" to "I'll show you" you've gone from citizen acting in self-defense to a criminal attacking someone. (And if you DO, keep your mouth shut, esp. to the cops.)

I first bought & started carrying a pistol when I was 40.

I've carried a pocketknife since probably middle school. (Don't do it so much any more.) Imagine a kid doing that today would be expelled. I used it to cut apples or whatever at lunch, since I had braces & couldn't eat them the usual way.

In fact, one semester in high school I got permission to schedule a math class instead of lunch, & the teacher agreed to let me eat lunch in the classroom.
(It was a divided class, 2 levels of instruction, so when he was teaching the other half of the class we'd be doing our work & I could eat.)

So not only did I have a knife in school, I used it regularly, in front of a teacher & other students, and absolutely nothing bad happened. Imagine that.

As for the reason the legislators title bills things like "concealed weapons permit" is because they can't conceive of the attitude most of us have - it's a tool of last resort, kind of like an airbag or seatbelt. They only see the negative, the damage.

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

Nothing is automatically a weapon and everything is potentially a weapon. The proper mindset of self defense is that you are willing to be brutal enough fast enough to stop a threat against yourself. While a pocket knife is a tool to most people who carry one, a simple pocket comb can be used as a weapon.
The letter of the law says that if you place a screwdriver in your pocket with the intention of using it as a weapon, you may be cited for carrying a deadly weapon.

I disagree with your first sentence. Although there are many things that cannot be cosidered a weapon until the intention or motive to use it as a weapon exists, much like the examples you gave. But what about things that have no other practical purpose like brass knuckles, swords and explosives devices?

To asnwer the question in the OP, although I did carry pocket knives since about ten, I did not start carrying a weapon until 10th grade when i carried a pair of nun-chucks inside my jacket all through high school.

Lurchiron

I had just turned 9, when that Wichester Model 12 in 12ga. "pushed" me back 3 or 4 steps.
Squirrels have been on guard ever since; death to all rodents, some are even mighty tastee...
View attachment 6706 :cool:

HandyHamlet

As for the reason the legislators title bills things like "concealed weapons permit" is because they can't conceive of the attitude most of us have - it's a tool of last resort, kind of like an airbag or seatbelt. They only see the negative, the damage.

You are guilty unless you have the time and money to prove your innocence.

Whatever you say or do will be held against you.

Interceptor_Knight

I disagree with your first sentence. Although there are many things that cannot be cosidered a weapon until the intention or motive to use it as a weapon exists, much like the examples you gave. But what about things that have no other practical purpose like brass knuckles, swords and explosives devices?.
Although WI Law is akin to the ATF and machine guns... "once a dangerous weapon always a dangerous weapon"
939.22 Words and phrases defined [10]"Dangerous Weapon" means...any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death or great bodily harm
Explosives are used by the mining industry, etc.. Large knives are used by various industries. I am sure that someone has a use for brash knuckles which is not a weapon. My point is that in the most general sense, the intention of the holder is what truly makes it a weapon or not. I believe that zero tolerance laws in schools, etc have zero rational thinking behind them.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Carried a weapon? I was 19 and in the military. If it wasn't an M16A1, and usually it wasn't for me, it was an AK-47, and AKM, RPD and RPK machine guns, a PPSh-41 and an RPG-7 and sundry other Warsaw Pact small arms. Ah... those were the days.

I carried a pocket knife from about as far back as I remember. Just about every boy in grade school carried one and I don't remember anyone ever contemplating using theirs as a weapon.

Pocketknives aren't weapons, although they can be used as weapons, along with almost any object that has the ability to slash, stab, pierce, smash, choke, burn or otherwise injure a person.
Most knives are not designed as weapons, although some are designed as such. I don't remember which of my knives actually designed as a weapon came first. Probably it was the Gerber Mark II, although I do not actually carry that knife.