• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's Wrong With Me??

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I stumbled across this video about a particular production V12 engine this evening. While watching the video, I had this powerful desire to own one of these engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slQ9E1s1FuQ

Then, in the side bar was this engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdcoVurVY30

Now, I've got this powerful desire to possess one of these engines. What is wrong with me!?!

It may have something to do with the sound of this V12 engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w

After you're done laughing (keyboard warning), play the video again and listen to that engine! Oh, my. What a sweet, sweet sound.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Duplicate OP to avoid ads overlaying the OP itself.

--------------------------------------

I stumbled across this video about a particular production V12 engine this evening. While watching the video, I had this powerful desire to own one of these engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slQ9E1s1FuQ

Then, in the side bar was this engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdcoVurVY30

Now, I've got this powerful desire to possess one of these engines. What is wrong with me!?!

It may have something to do with the sound of this V12 engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w

After you're done laughing (keyboard warning), play the video again and listen to that engine! Oh, my. What a sweet, sweet sound.

solus

alphabetically could be a challenge for some...

there are those with OCD who are so afflicted they must put the initials in alphabetical order, 'CDO' or they have an anxiety attack. :shocker:

ipse

DrakeZ07

alphabetically could be a challenge for some...

there are those with OCD who are so afflicted they must put the initials in alphabetical order, 'CDO' or they have an anxiety attack. :shocker:

ipse

Had a room mate once who was so OCD, that if you dropped a handful of change on the floor, he had to immediately STOP what he was doing, and count every single coin, in groups of its total value, size, actual number, weight, and quality of the coin. He'd also have to re-arrange EVERYTHING in the livingroom and kitchen so that EVERY. SINGLE. ITEM. was touching NO LESS THAN two other items within six inches of each other. It was friggen fun to mess with them. Like one time, I saved a glass carboy filled with pocket change, and he was whining and complaining about how the yard wasn't mowed to an exact perfect four inches in height, so I empited the entire carboy [about twenty pounds of change] onto the floor, just to shut him up. Took him 15 hours, but he sorted the entire change without stopping.

Mentally handicapped people can be amusing to mess with, at least the ones with like OCD; it's like slinkies, hours of fun when you're most bored.

stealthyeliminator

Had a room mate once who was so OCD, that if you dropped a handful of change on the floor, he had to immediately STOP what he was doing, and count every single coin, in groups of its total value, size, actual number, weight, and quality of the coin. He'd also have to re-arrange EVERYTHING in the livingroom and kitchen so that EVERY. SINGLE. ITEM. was touching NO LESS THAN two other items within six inches of each other. It was friggen fun to mess with them. Like one time, I saved a glass carboy filled with pocket change, and he was whining and complaining about how the yard wasn't mowed to an exact perfect four inches in height, so I empited the entire carboy [about twenty pounds of change] onto the floor, just to shut him up. Took him 15 hours, but he sorted the entire change without stopping.

Mentally handicapped people can be amusing to mess with, at least the ones with like OCD; it's like slinkies, hours of fun when you're most bored.

This is sadism.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This is sadism.

Not necessarily.

sa·dism
/ˈsāˌdizəm/
noun
the tendency to derive pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from inflicting pain, suffering, or humiliation on others.

I don't see diverting someone from a non-productive rant about an obsessive ideation to a productive, although obsessive behavior, fits the definition. As a matter of fact, it is an often recommended therapeutic activity.

It gives enjoyment to one person to initiate it and watch the process, and ultimately gives satisfaction to the other person by ordering their world.

Posting a video of the activity might just meet the threshold of the definition.

stay safe.

stealthyeliminator

Not necessarily.

I don't see diverting someone from a non-productive rant about an obsessive ideation to a productive, although obsessive behavior, fits the definition. As a matter of fact, it is an often recommended therapeutic activity.

It gives enjoyment to one person to initiate it and watch the process, and ultimately gives satisfaction to the other person by ordering their world.

Posting a video of the activity might just meet the threshold of the definition.

stay safe.

I disagree wholeheartedly and stand by my classification. BTW I checked the dictionary definition before posting to confirm.

You cannot ignore his proclamations and only consider the example given. He indicates that he derives pleasure from exploitation of disability ("Mentally handicapped people can be amusing to mess with"), not merely from innocent manipulation or experimentation of human nature.

It is called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, not Obsessive Compulsive Order. Triggering it for entertainment cannot reasonably be considered beneficial (medically or otherwise) to the person suffering the disorder.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Am I the only one that found the OP hilarious?

Did you guys actually watch the videos?

I did. :p:)

I browsed the documentaries about the vehicle in the third video. Came across one documentary where the last five minutes of the video is no music, no narration--just the clips of different versions of the vehicle and the sweet, sweet sound of that V12 engine.

Now, I really want.

(sigh)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I did. :p:)

I browsed the documentaries about the vehicle in the third video. Came across one documentary where the last five minutes of the video is no music, no narration--just the clips of different versions of the vehicle and the sweet, sweet sound of that V12 engine.

Now, I really want.

(sigh)
Where do you intend to drive a Vickers Supermarine Spitfire?

solus

I disagree wholeheartedly and stand by my classification. BTW I checked the dictionary definition before posting to confirm.

You cannot ignore his proclamations and only consider the example given. He indicates that he derives pleasure from exploitation of disability ("Mentally handicapped people can be amusing to mess with"), not merely from innocent manipulation or experimentation of human nature.

It is called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, not Obsessive Compulsive Order. Triggering it for entertainment cannot reasonably be considered beneficial (medically or otherwise) to the person suffering the disorder.

sorry don't know how you can wholeheartedly disagree when you consistently derive sadist pleasure under the guise of innocent manipulation while screwing with piper?

and your mental health degree is in....

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

To some people the disorder is orderinary.

stealthyeliminator

sorry don't know how you can wholeheartedly disagree when you consistently derive sadist pleasure under the guise of innocent manipulation while screwing with piper?

and your mental health degree is in....

ipse

Same as yours, buddy, and you have no reason to believe that I derive pleasure from "screwing with" piper, nor reason to believe I even "screw with" piper, and you are incorrectly classifying innocent manipulation as sadist pleasure after I explained the distinction. Bugger off.

I did watch the videos. I like the Bentley one better for some reason.

Also wonder how close that plane's prop was to the ground.. He cut it pretty close.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Where do you intend to drive a Vickers Supermarine Spitfire?

I was more interested in the engine than the plane.

But, if I had to take the plane, I guess I would "drive" it from Dover to Biggin Hill, and back. Then maybe across the Channel. :)

Not sure why the video-poster called it a "Vickers" Supermarine Spitfire. That's a little like saying a car is a Chevrolet Ford. Supermarine was the name of the company. Supermarine built sea planes for racing, winning a cup in 1938 or something. One glance at that winning racing plane, and you can see the family resemblance--the Spitfire's classic lines are clearly discernible. I wonder. Maybe Vickers subcontracted manufacturing or something, kinda like Singer Sewing Machines made Colt M1911A1's during WWII.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I like the Bentley one better for some reason.

Also wonder how close that plane's prop was to the ground.. He cut it pretty close.

Agreed!

It was the Bentley video I came across first. The way they arrange the cylinders isn't really a V12; I guess that's why they call it a W12. Sweeeet engine, that's for sure.

At the end of the Spitfire video (3rd video) there is a still photo. I'm betting that prop was only about two feet above the grass. You can almost see the top of the engine cowling. Just a little bit lower and that four-bladed prop would have been a lawn-mower.

A couple of documentaries I browsed mentioned that by 1943-44, they had transitioned from the Merlin V12 engines to an engine called the Gryffin. Don't know much about that engine; I'm guessing it was a V12 with more displacement. The two air-intakes under the wings in the third video mark that Spitfire as a later model; I wonder if that plane is actually running a Gryffin.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The engine was generally a Rolls-Royce Merlin but with wide wartime sourcing, including Packard and Continental.

As to driving it, ISTR an early Merlin powered landspeed record.

Ahh, the Merlin was a PV model, the R engine was used in the Bluebird LSR vehicle.
In any configuration, the Spitfire was a hellova an airplane.

My favorite has always been the Mustang P-51H - 2218 HP.

Last edited: