• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where can we legally shoot in Arizona

Where is it legal to shoot in Arizona? it seems like it is getting harder to find a spot where you can legally shoot without having police waiting for you as you pack up to head home(It happened to me last weekend). I am not really interested in shooting ranges such as Ben Avery even though it is a great spot to shoot off a few rounds. I want a spot where shooters are allowed and were i could just a couple of tables a few chairs and have a nice time. I will always cleanup after myself when going shooting by using a bucket for shotgun shells and keeping the brass to resell for some money. So... Where can we shoot in Arizona?

I am in Glendale. I used to shoot in Goodyear near mc-85 and cotton lane. They told me it was private land even though they had no clear indications such as signs saying "no trespassing". How is Watson/Miller road doing? Can we go there?

Grim_Night

I'm looking to purchase about 40 acres of land somewhere near flagstaff. From what I have researched, it seems to me that I would be within my rights to be able to build a shooting range on my own property. Would I be correct in this?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm looking to purchase about 40 acres of land somewhere near flagstaff. From what I have researched, it seems to me that I would be within my rights to be able to build a shooting range on my own property. Would I be correct in this?
Good that you are researching first.

There are way too many unknowns and variables IMO to give you a simple yes/no answer.

You should want to know what the specific applicable local municipality says as to the legality and what procedures if any will need to be satisfied. Seldom do we have unfettered rights on our little piece of heaven.

azcdlfred

We (AzCDL) just spent the last two sessions dealing with that issue. Last year we got HB 2483 passed that strengthened the ability to use firearms on private property. That said, it's not carte blanche and local zoning laws do come into play. The bill was the result of a county's (Coconino, where you want to build, if I recall correctly) effort to stop someone from building a range on their land.

Hire an attorney.

Fred

jasonstorm

Shooting locations

Hi gunenthusiast. I live very close to you. There are plenty of places to shoot here in the Valley of the Sun. Just depends on how far you are willing to travel. I've had conversations with numerous shooters who use the public land up near Lake Pleasant. That's not too far from us. I use the Tonto National Forest. Sure it's about 70 miles from here, but it is gorgeous, mountainous (hence lots of backstop), and very deserted. I make an all day affair of it.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Make sure your 40 is out side the Flagstaff city limits every time I drive trough there I am amazed how far the city limits have been extended.

A very nice area for sure

Grim_Night

Woodland Valley Ranch has a Property Owners Association with a restrictive covenant that includes... /snip

Property Owners Association? Forget that noise. I'll not have some idiots tell me what I can do on my land when I own it as long as I am abiding by state and federal law.

Last edited:

Grim_Night

The POA Covenant is integral to the deed.

What I ment to say is that I will not be purchasing any property that requires any membership to any home owners/property owners association, period.

What I do find interesting is this little tidbit.

"B. Each and every Parcel Owner, in accepting a deed or contract for any Parcel, whether or not it shall be so expressed in such deed or contract, automatically becomes a member of the Association, and agrees to be bound by such reasonable rules and regulations as may, from time to time, be established by the Association."

If something is not clearly stated/expressed in a deed or contract that one signs, and the person signs said deed/contract, how can said person be legally required to abide by said requirement?

And with that, I return to the original topic. My original point being that to the best of my knowledge, Arizona State law states that the discharge of firearms is prohibited within 1/4 mile of an occupied structure or a structure that one can reasonably expect to be occupied. That being said, if I own land with a house on said land and there is no other legal requirements, and I am the sole occupant of said property and structure/home, I may legally discharge firearms for recreation on my land as long as I abide by all applicable LAWS.

Last edited:

The Trickster

How far out from Phoenix-metro are you willing to drive? I usually drive out past the Queen Valley area to shoot. I've done it dozens of times as well as hunted in the area and have never had any problems with the law, let alone really even seen it. Unfortunately, many people use our beautiful desert as their personal dumping ground and simply leave all their trash, targets, etc. out there when they are done. As a result, the law is becoming a lot less tolerant to shooting enthusiasts; as is usually the case in life (especially the government approach), it only takes a few rotten apples to spoil it for everyone.

The Trickster

Also, you may encounter some reluctance among posters to share their shooting spots online as the general consensus is that the more people who become privy to its existence, the greater the likelihood of it getting shut down by fools who shoot road signs and leave trash in the desert.

Grim_Night

Well when I do buy my piece of paradise, I'll be setting up an outdoor range for both pistols and rifles/shotguns and I'd be more then willing to let others share as long as people do clean up after themselves. :)