• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where'd you O.C. today and how'd it go?

marine0300

Yes Kanas is open carry and Lenexa just brought their ordinance into compliance with the KS constitution and state statutes which takes effective 6/25/2013. Yes that is tomorrow.

Be careful KCK, Leawood, and Prairie Village still ban open carry but we are taking them back to court. If you get arrested in any of those cities please contact us so we can use you to help overturn their illegal ordinances.

logunowner

Yes Kanas is open carry and Lenexa just brought their ordinance into compliance with the KS constitution and state statutes which takes effective 6/25/2013. Yes that is tomorrow.

Be careful KCK, Leawood, and Prairie Village still ban open carry but we are taking them back to court. If you get arrested in any of those cities please contact us so we can use you to help overturn their illegal ordinances.

Wow, did not know that. I open carry in Sam's right across the way from the Costco as well and I never had a problem there. I think I better just stay around Olathe.
I have supported getting HB 436 in Missouri passed and sent to the Governor. If he signs it, it will help us in Missouri that have a CCW avoid this type of problem. It will allow open carry across Missouri whether a city has an ordinance against it or not.

KTCerberus

I went an entire year with only two comments on open carry, then this last month I have entirely lost count. The mail carrier, ladies at the Great Wall, three people at walgreens, a few at the gas station, etc...

Nothing but good comments, a few questions, had an LEO give me the evil eye at Dillons today but WPD must have explicit instructions not to confront or interfere with our business. I bet all the Youtube videos of other PDs harassing folks are responsible. Who knew being a dick would pay off?

Still zero instances of being asked to leave or disarm, but this could be due to my judgement of going concealed carry to certain places on rare occasions.

----------------------------------------------------------

On a related note, I know a guy... I swear this is true!

He was at Qwik Trip on the extreme west side getting a Mountain Dew when a female WPD officer came up behind him and put her hand on his shoulder/back and asked if he had a concealed carry permit. Apparently his method of carry "implied" that the gun was meant to be concealed, and had become exposed. This is just more reason for me to encourage open carry in OWB holsters and not IWB holsters. He has a concealed carry permit, his story is that it was his only holster and he wanted to try out open carry for a few days.

Superlite27

I went an entire year with only two comments on open carry, then this last month I have entirely lost count.

You didn't happen to switch to a thigh rig, did you?

Same thing happened to me. I went years with barely more than an odd glance every now and then. Then I tried a drop leg Blackhawk thigh holster, and I'm getting input from the peanut gallery at every gas station and grocery store. 99% of it is good, clean, honest curiosity from folks "noticing" and choosing to learn more about OC and its legality, but along with that is the 1% of critics.

I got a "Do you really need a gun in a bookstore?" from a couple wearing matching Chicago Cubs jersies while walking out of a Barnes and Noble. (I'm guessing they were from Chicago, hence the brainwashed "anti" attitude.)

I would have loved to discuss the obvious idiocy of their comment, but not only did I not want to waste my time trying to educate people who obviously could care less about the ignorance of their belief, I wasn't going to change it anyway, so I simply said, "Yeah, bookstores are much safer than elementary schools and Luby's Cafeterias, huh?"...and kept walking.

My reply was most likely completely over their heads.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Similar to your related note,

I was in a Cabela's when a guy approached me and said, "Your concealed carry license says "CONCEALED" on it!".

So I asked him, "Does having a driver's license mean I can't walk anywhere?".

After watching his mental gears freeze up, I left him standing there trying to figure it out.

Last edited:

LeviR

I was in a Cabela's when a guy approached me and said, "Your concealed carry license says "CONCEALED" on it!".

So I asked him, "Does having a driver's license mean I can't walk anywhere?".

After watching his mental gears freeze up, I left him standing there trying to figure it out.

Oh man that is hilarious! I don't get many comments here, but my wife continues to get comments from store employees etc. I guess this is the new "women's lib" thing. lol

Momokahn

Went to Academy Sports today and OC'd for the first time. Uneventful. The gentleman at the cash register asked me if that was a Taurus :cry: I was carrying and told him no it was a M&P 9mm.

phenomed

Forgive my questions, but all this grey area has me nervous. I have a CCL and I know I can carry it loaded and concealed without having to put it out of sight when driving (as it's already out of sight). If I OC, can I carry it loaded (bullet not in chamber) and then just conceal it on my person after I get in my vehicle or do I need to remove the magazine and then place it out of sight via glove box or seat? Thanks and looking forward to OC.

marine0300

If you have a CCL in Kansas you are exempt from any regulations dealing with firearms in vehicles. You can do anything with your gun loaded unloaded open concealed. You can even have a shot gun rack with all your rifles loaded. you can carry more than one gun. Lots of options if you have CCL. This is the main reason I originally got a permit.

If you OC you can have one in the pipe. Topeka and Shawnee County full open carry. I transition between open and concealed all the time.

Great questions.

Happy carrying!

Super6O

Forgive my questions, but all this grey area has me nervous. I have a CCL and I know I can carry it loaded and concealed without having to put it out of sight when driving (as it's already out of sight). If I OC, can I carry it loaded (bullet not in chamber) and then just conceal it on my person after I get in my vehicle or do I need to remove the magazine and then place it out of sight via glove box or seat? Thanks and looking forward to OC.

With a concealed carry permit you do not need to place it out of sight.

KTCerberus

You didn't happen to switch to a thigh rig, did you?

I'll never do a thigh rig again... I wore one in Iraq for a while (due to body armor) but after switching to a center chest mount (When belt was not possible) I ditched the platform. I'm currently armor-less after selling all my vests and plates, (plus full battle rattle in Wichita would be excessive) so its just leather belt mounted hip holsters, and on occasion a belt SERPA if I'm goin' shootin'.

No comments on OC since my last post. I had lost count then, and now there's nothing...

Buckwheat

OC on my motorcycle

Today I decided to take a short ride up to Oskaloosa ks and around the town square and back home. Just on the outskirts of town I stopped and picked up a dozen ears of corn. With my S and W J frame visible on my right side I walked up to two ladys at the stand and one was on a cell phone. I asked the other lady about the price of the corn and made my purchase,,after she handed me the sack of corn we chatted for a while about one of the ladys moving in to the house behind us. When I left the other lady was off the phone and we all said goodby and I mounted my bike and rode off.

My GF wanted me to pick up a dozen eggs while I was out,,so,, I stopped in Mc Louth at a small grocery store and grabbed a carton of eggs,,,the young kid at the register said nothing or acted in no way different than if I was not carrying openly. The young lady that was maybe the sacker joked with me about breaking the eggs on my motorcycle,,,,LOL she was kinda flirting with me really and she was hot as well,,,I would have given her a ride if she asked.

There were some patrons in the store and a couple of cars and people out in the small parking lot,,,no one paid any attention to me and I saw no I-drops at my weapon,,,and that is how I like it and the way it should be all the time.

Open carry is cool in the small country bumkin towns,,,I guess

KTCerberus

Wow this thread is dead.

I had an incident last week at Lake Afton.

I was camped out near the observatory (well away from the power hook-ups) with my own telescope for the night. I was busy messing with some stuff when I turned towards the road and saw some one about 30' away dressed in all dark clothing walking straight towards me. They were wearing a coat over a hoodie with the hood up, and appeared to be looking down but I could not tell. I also couldn't make out the hands or even the arms due to it being a very dark night. I immediately ask "Hello?" loud enough to be heard much further away but get no response, and the figure keeps walking towards me. My coat was short enough that my holster was exposed so I unsnapped the retention, and cleared leather but left the muzzle oriented down just above waist level and shouted "STOP."

The guy immediately stops and says "Sorry I was looking for a power plug in." He then turns and walks straight back the way he came. About 30 minutes later a Sheriff patrol vehicle shined a spotlight in my face as he drove by.

Maybe he was looking for power, but I'm definitely glad I didn't have to go digging for my gun under my coat or frantically trying to unzip it. I highly doubt this guy even saw my weapon, but it is a bit tougher to project confidence when you are struggling to reach your tactically concealed mall ninja pistol when the guy is about two seconds from being in your face.

Last edited:

Super6O

Last week I got a double take from the cashier at chipotle on maple. But after that just a smile and a receipt.

Then on sunday One of the employees at the autozone on 21st seemed to like seeing my OC'd glock 19. Gave me a kinda "heck yeah!" Look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

marine0300

Thank you for open carrying

Super60 thank you for open carrying and informing people of thier God given rights.

You have done a serivce to the constitution and our country!

Super6O

Got a compliment from a guy at texas roadhouse near ICT. Said he liked to see me Open carrying and how he couldn't get a feel for his glock 26, preferring his sig 1911. I told him "Nothin' wrong with that!"

It was interesting because I was OC and I spotted a guy at the bar with an empty holster enjoying a tall one. Then sat down for a nice meal near a table full of the T-95 crew. The gentleman with the empty holster soon joined them at that table.

I quizzed my table on what the guy with the empty holster was wearing, of course they were like what? Where? My situational awareness is starting to become fairly decent... Always test yourself and keep improving in that department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Super6O

Recently I went to my dentist for a cleaning and some X-rays. The office is not posted so I went in with my daily carry right there in the open.

I was pleased that no one said anything about it ( though in the waiting room no one noticed because they were all glossed over looking at phones and books...

The staff were as friendly and polite as they were before I started carrying!

Banjogoose

I've had my CCH for about 2 years now. I live near Wichita and am mostly in Wichita for work. I work 3rd shift in various restaurants cleaning the hood system, so I decided that OC may be an option for me as well. I ALWAYS have my pistol on me whether is CC or OC. So far, I've only had one encounter. A store manager of middle eastern decent (Not sure where from) saw my H&K .45 on my hip and asked me what I needed it for. I replied "For the safety of myself or anyone around me" in which he said "What is this, Texas?" and then I promptly said "No, this is America". He didn't really seem too interested after this. But mostly I see people (mostly women and children) look, but never say anything.