• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who are you voting for in the governor primary?

utbob2004

I went to two of the candidates for the Republican ticket for governor last night. I was looking to see how Bill Haslam and Zach Wamp were on the issues. Bill Haslam's website states "As the current Mayor of Knoxville, Bill made sure that Knoxville – unlike all other major cities in Tennessee – does not impose criminal penalties on concealed carry permit holders who carry their guns in city parks." I emailed his campaign to say that Tennessee doesn't issue a concealed carry permit, it is a handgun permit and what is his position on open carry since it is legal in Tennessee with the permit. I haven't gotten a response yet. Zach Wamp's website states "Zach supports allowing law-abiding citizens who have gone through the training and permitting required to legally-carry handguns for personal protection. Right to carry laws help make Tennessee and law-abiding Tennesseans more safe and secure and we cannot, and should not, pick or predict when and where law abiding citizens may be called upon to defend themselves against violent criminals. That’s why as Governor, Zach will continue to fight hard to protect 2nd Amendment rights with no exceptions, no excuses and no compromise." I emailed him to ask about none licensed carry (constitutional carry as its called on here) and haven't gotten a response. I know this is along post but wondering how everyone else felt about it.

macville

I went to two of the candidates for the Republican ticket for governor last night. I was looking to see how Bill Haslam and Zach Wamp were on the issues. Bill Haslam's website states "As the current Mayor of Knoxville, Bill made sure that Knoxville – unlike all other major cities in Tennessee – does not impose criminal penalties on concealed carry permit holders who carry their guns in city parks." I emailed his campaign to say that Tennessee doesn't issue a concealed carry permit, it is a handgun permit and what is his position on open carry since it is legal in Tennessee with the permit. I haven't gotten a response yet. Zach Wamp's website states "Zach supports allowing law-abiding citizens who have gone through the training and permitting required to legally-carry handguns for personal protection. Right to carry laws help make Tennessee and law-abiding Tennesseans more safe and secure and we cannot, and should not, pick or predict when and where law abiding citizens may be called upon to defend themselves against violent criminals. That’s why as Governor, Zach will continue to fight hard to protect 2nd Amendment rights with no exceptions, no excuses and no compromise." I emailed him to ask about none licensed carry (constitutional carry as its called on here) and haven't gotten a response. I know this is along post but wondering how everyone else felt about it.

Ramsey is BY FAR the best choice for conservatives. He helped get the original carry law passed and continues to help get pro legal citizen laws passed (AKA: knocking down gun control.) He's a small business owner who wants to take down the size of our state gov and keep the gov out of business. Haslam is a fraud when it comes to the 2d, and Wamp voted for the second TARP.

The only bad part about voting in Ramsey would be that we'd lose him right now where it counts almost more.

kwikrnu

Banned
Ramsey is BY FAR the best choice for conservatives. He helped get the original carry law passed and continues to help get pro legal citizen laws passed (AKA: knocking down gun control.) He's a small business owner who wants to take down the size of our state gov and keep the gov out of business. Haslam is a fraud when it comes to the 2d, and Wamp voted for the second TARP.

The only bad part about voting in Ramsey would be that we'd lose him right now where it counts almost more.

I'm voting for Wamp because Dave Ramsey said so. No wait, I'm voting for Ramsey because the NRA and TFA said so. Haslam sent a bunch of postcards and even called me to say he is pro-second amendment, I may vote for him because Bloomberg said so...

Seriously, All three are lying politicians.

Last edited:

macville

I'm voting for Wamp because Dave Ramsey said so. No wait, I'm voting for Ramsey because the NRA and TFA said so. Haslam sent a bunch of postcards and even called me to say he is pro-second amendment, I may vote for him because Bloomberg said so...

Seriously, All three are lying politicians.

Explain exactly what Ramsey has lied about. Haven't really seen anything shady come out about him...

kwikrnu

Banned
Explain exactly what Ramsey has lied about. Haven't really seen anything shady come out about him...

I shouldn't have said that, I don't trust any of them. They all may be honest.

All of them are for the Second Amendment, but none support "shall not be infringed". It probably isn't a lie, just differences in interpretation.

Last edited:

macville

I shouldn't have said that, I don't trust any of them. They all may be honest.

All of them are for the Second Amendment, but none support "shall not be infringed". It probably isn't a lie, just differences in interpretation.

Actually, Ramsey does. He supports permitless, constitutional carry, but doesn't think it will get passed. Considering how hard it was to get carrying around alcohol, I tend to agree with him.

To be honest, nothing is going to change that much around TN or the country until the SC rules that "not be infringed" actually means that. The problem is, while the majority knows that's what it means, they don't want to open the crap storm it would cause by ruling that way (which says something about their ethics, doesn't it?)

I firmly believe that the next 10 years are going to be good for gun owners. We need to keep up the lawsuits and educating people that the social experiment of banning firearms did not work and that more firearms in law abiding citizens hands will make this country a better, safer place.

kwikrnu

Banned
Actually, Ramsey does. He supports permitless, constitutional carry, but doesn't think it will get passed.

I don't think he is for constitutional carry. I've listened to hours of tapes from pc476 back in 1997 and didn't get that feel.

I've contacted his office and they didn't care that my permit was suspended w/o just cause.

macville

I don't think he is for constitutional carry. I've listened to hours of tapes from pc476 back in 1997 and didn't get that feel.

I've contacted his office and they didn't care that my permit was suspended w/o just cause.

Well, he stated at a TFA meeting here in Knoxville a few months ago that he was for it, but doesn't see how it would currently happen.

Why should he care about your dealings right now? He's not your rep or senator! He's got the people he represents to lookout for first. If your rep/senator sucks, than do something about it. But here's not here to wipe your butt.

M

McX

Who would i vote for in the primary?: Kwick, but i'm funny that way.

kwikrnu

Banned
Well, he stated at a TFA meeting here in Knoxville a few months ago that he was for it, but doesn't see how it would currently happen.

Why should he care about your dealings right now? He's not your rep or senator! He's got the people he represents to lookout for first. If your rep/senator sucks, than do something about it. But here's not here to wipe your butt.

He's not my rep or senator, but he is running for governor and no one I know is going to vote for him based upon his record of gun rights. I'll take care of myself as witnessed by my lawsuits.

macville

He's not my rep or senator, but he is running for governor and no one I know is going to vote for him based upon his record of gun rights. I'll take care of myself as witnessed by my lawsuits.

Well, if you are basing on gun rights I'd like to know who's better to vote for over Ramsey because last time I checked, Haslam was not strong on the 2d amendment (and I know this first hand since I dealt with him here in Knoxville) and Wamp hasn't had anything to do with Federal laws dealing with gun rights. Whereas Ramsey has since 1997 helped loosen the carry laws in TN.

kwikrnu

Banned
Well, if you are basing on gun rights I'd like to know who's better to vote for over Ramsey because last time I checked, Haslam was not strong on the 2d amendment (and I know this first hand since I dealt with him here in Knoxville) and Wamp hasn't had anything to do with Federal laws dealing with gun rights. Whereas Ramsey has since 1997 helped loosen the carry laws in TN.

None want constitutional carry. Since there is no libertarian candidate that is pro gun I won't vote for any of them. I may vote for the democrat in the general election to put some heat on the candidate in 2014.

deadpool2

I don't think anyone with any common sense cares that your permit got suspended after what you did... He may get my vote now.

kwikrnu

Banned
I found my candidate, no it's not a joke. Basil Marceaux is for protecting constitutional rights. He wants to do away with the handgun permit system.

As Tennessee Governor in 2010
Using the Civil Right Act of 1966... 2 stop Constitutional Right violations in our state at all cost I will tell you all this
VOTE FOR ME AND IF I WIN I WILL IMMUNE YOU FROM ALL STATE CRIMES FOR THE REST OF YOU LIFE! (Except violating a citizen rights this would be a special punishment).

Basil Marceaux video channel 4

Last edited: