• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who in Illinois is Fanny Packing?

kurt555gs

Container Transport is the ONLY legal option for Illinois residents to have a firearm with you in this state. I have a Maxpedition Versipack to keep all my items in, and am getting used to having everything I need with me all the time. I am just curious who else it taking advantage of the new statewide preemption for "transportation" afforded us in PA 098-0063 ( 430 ILCS 65/13.1 (b ))?

If I am not the only one, I think it may be fun to organize a "Fanny Pack" meet & greet like folks in free states do while open carrying.

What kinds of "case or other container" do you use? What legally transported handgun is your choice in Illinois?

Cheers.

Attachments

• max9.jpg
    max9.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

jrj_51

With no knowledge of the situation in Illinois, that title could cause quite the double take.

kurt555gs

Oops. Wearing a fanny pack, satchel, or "Murse".

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 2

davidmcbeth

Banned
I know of many who do ... and were prior to any court decision of recent history ... and have done so w/o fear of being arrested.

Not every venue in IL are commies ...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I have utilized "container carry" in Illinois numerous times over the last few years. Now, with this new CC law, it appears I'll be able to carry in Condition 1 while in my vehicle with my Michigan CPL.

I did briefly consider getting a non-resident license once when all aspects if the law becomes operational, but after reading the law I'd rather container carry than get the license and then be prohibited from carrying my pistol in many more places. At least from my reading, it seems Illinois trusts non residents more than they do their own citizens. That there is just messed up.

Last edited:

kurt555gs

DrTodd, you don't even need your CPL to carry concealed or open in your car while in Illinois if you are from a state that allows unlicensed Open Carry.

For Illinois residents though, it's a felony even if we possess a FOID card and a non resident carry permit. All we have is "unloaded and enclosed in a case or other container".

Carthago Delenda Est

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Well, Michigan does require a "License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol" issued by the local LEO before a person can purchase, and then register, a handgun. My CPL exempts me from the "LCPT" requirement. I do still register the handgun, though. My "safest" assumption would be that I would need to have either one to avail myself of Illinois car concealed carry.

Still think it strange that Illinois gives more privilege to me than one if its own citizens with a FOID.

Last edited:

jpm84092

I think this law if left unchanged legislatively could be challenged judicially for its numerous unequal protections.

Perhaps those in Springfield, many of whom are from Cook/Lake counties, had a judicial challenge in mind. A judicial challenge would give the ILSP an excuse to suspend the permit process pending the outcome of a court ruling.