• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun at Waffle House?

SovereignAxe

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2012/jan/01/waffle-house-shooting-ar-1580953/

A Kinsgport man is behind bars tonight, charged with attempted 1st degree murder.

It happened at 4:06 Sunday morning at the Waffle House on 1668 East Stone Drive in Kinsgport.

Michael Bunche is accused of shooting Kristen Smith. Smith was found in the restaurant suffering from several gunshot wounds. She was airlifted to the hospital where she underwent surgery. No word on her current condition.

Police say restaurant customers disarmed and held Bunche before they arrived.

Bunche also faces charges of possession of a handgun by a convicted felon and theft of more than $500.

This happened about 20 miles from me. Kingsport is a part of the Tri-Cities area which includes Johnson City, Kingsport, and Bristol, TN.

I find it interesting that the other customers were able to disarm the shooter. I'd be very interested to learn whether or not a permit holder/carrier was among them.

Oh Shoot

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2012/jan/01/waffle-house-shooting-ar-1580953/

This happened about 20 miles from me. Kingsport is a part of the Tri-Cities area which includes Johnson City, Kingsport, and Bristol, TN.

I find it interesting that the other customers were able to disarm the shooter. I'd be very interested to learn whether or not a permit holder/carrier was among them.

Waffle House was probably posted, too. Most all are, though you may not notice the sign toward corner of building.

- OS

SovereignAxe

lol well at the very least it could be something else they could charge him with.

I'd go and check but the only reason people go to Kingsport is to go to the convention center or to go to work if you work for Eastman.

MKEgal

charged with attempted 1st degree murder.
Bunche also faces charges of possession of a handgun by a convicted felon
and theft of more than $500.
Waffle House was probably posted, too.
No way! There are laws against all those things! They can't happen. [/sarcasm]

SovereignAxe said:
I find it interesting that the other customers were able to disarm the shooter.
Ditto.

Oh Shoot

And that works so well. :uhoh:

I was thinking more of the folks who disarmed the perp, thinking one or more was probably carrying.

If so, even though simply carrying in there would be Class B misdemeanor (39-17-1322), the defense of 39-17-1322 is there to protect them if they actually showed (or shot) their pieces restraining the perp. Or maybe some of the them had a HCP but left their heaters in the car to obey the law, which means they put themselves in even more danger.

For you out of state folks, TN weapons law is fraught with this type of irony, which yes of course only affects the good guys. I assure you I fully understand the absurdity of issuing carry permits and then disallowing them to be legally used in thousands of places around the state.

- OS

Last edited:

HvyMtl

Fortunately, the Waffle House are all improperly posted.

No gun buster sign anywhere. Lets not tell them they are not posted properly.

If they tried to properly post at the one I go to, they would lose a lot of customers...

ecocks

What's with Waffle Houses?

Kingsport, Memphis and then.......

Man Charged With Botched SC Waffle House Robbery

"...A customer with a concealed weapons permit drew his gun and told the men to wait for sheriff's deputies to arrive.

Ivey says Williams pointed his gun at the customer, who shot and killed him."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-charged-botched-sc-waffle-house-robbery-15417591#.TyY8BIHHeSM

Better description of the incident here......

http://americanvisionnews.com/1383/sheriff-defends-man-who-shot-armed-robber-at-sc-waffle-house

Love it, the criminal was carrying a Hi-Point .45!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What's with Waffle Houses?

Kingsport, Memphis and then.......

Man Charged With Botched SC Waffle House Robbery

"...A customer with a concealed weapons permit drew his gun and told the men to wait for sheriff's deputies to arrive.

Ivey says Williams pointed his gun at the customer, who shot and killed him."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-charged-botched-sc-waffle-house-robbery-15417591#.TyY8BIHHeSM

Better description of the incident here......

http://americanvisionnews.com/1383/sheriff-defends-man-who-shot-armed-robber-at-sc-waffle-house

Love it, the criminal was carrying a Hi-Point .45!

Waffle Houses are open 24/7, deal primarily in cash. many have signs indicating GFZ = prime target.

The customer showed great restaint IMO. Hope he does well in the aftermath.

Didn't see the BG's gun indentified in any of the links, but Hi-Point is a very functional gun - no elitism here.

Oh Shoot

...Didn't see the BG's gun indentified in any of the links, but Hi-Point is a very functional gun - no elitism here.

Yup, that 230 grain .45 slug coming at ya ain't the least bit embarrassed that it's exiting a Hi-Point instead of a 1911 race gun.

- OS

ecocks

Waffle Houses are open 24/7, deal primarily in cash. many have signs indicating GFZ = prime target.

Didn't see the BG's gun indentified in any of the links, but Hi-Point is a very functional gun - no elitism here.

Hmmmm, main paragraph of the second link:

"During a news conference Saturday night, Wright (Sheriff) said even after the masked men entered the restaurant, the concealed weapons holder waited until the robbers began ordering customers to the floor and employees into the back – while waving a gun – to act. After pulling his .45-caliber Glock, the customer ordered the men to stay put until deputies arrived. Only after Williams (criminal) pointed his Hi-Point 9mm at the man, did the customer fire, Wright said."

No elitism from me either, I own a Hi-Point carbine and love it. I wrote that post late last night though and did mis-identify the HP as a .45, it was a 9mm. However, the criminal was armed with one of the lowest-priced guns on the market. That stood out to me, make of it what you will.

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

ding ding ding! They're open at all hours, have relatively cheap food, and advertize as a GFZ.

Although, I haven't known for Waffle Houses to deal primarily in cash, but then it's been a long time since I've been to one and I never paid attention to how everyone else was paying.

But judging by the time of clientele that frequents Waffle House, that wouldn't surprise me.

HvyMtl

Um. "Openly advertise as a gun free zone." I have yet to see an advertisement claiming this for the WH.

The sign, they have in the parking lot, is always posted 12+ feet up on the side of the building, where few people look. It is in small font, and really reads like it is talking about the parking lot, not inside the WH. Its like someone posted it there to create deniability if someone sues WH cause of a firearm event.