• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do You Open Carry?

rudeguy

I concealed carry every single day. I probably have a gun on me at this very moment. I say probably because you would never know just by looking at me. If you are a bad guy, you have a 50/50 chance of dying if you try to do something bad to me. If a bad guy walks into a store that I happen to be in, he's not going to pay any special attention to me. I'm just another fat guy getting a pop. However, if that bad guy does something bad, I will have the upperhand since I will have the element of surprise on my side.

Which brings me back to the original question of this thread: Why open carry? You are only drawing attention to yourself. If a bad guy walks into a store you are in and wants to do something bad, you are his first target. He now has the element of surprise on his side since he knows you have a gun but you have no idea if he has one or not until its too late. You have put a target on yourself. Lets take that just a bit further: If all the good guys open carried, the bad guys would love it. They would know exactly who to do bad things to. If everyone concealed carried, the bad guys would have to assume that everyone COULD have a gun and they would have to decide if their life is worth the risk.

Now lets all take a break from the talking points and be honest. Why do you open carry? I'd guess its for attention. Either trying to get attention from law enforcement or bystanders. You hope for someone to create a scene. If you really were concerned about being able to defend yourselves and others, you would conceal carry. You add to the safety of the public just by adding doubt to the bad guys' minds. You give yourself an edge over the bad guys. My thinking is that open carry people are either out for attention or can't get a license to conceal carry. Maybe you can't afford the license or the class, maybe you can't pass the background checks, maybe you are just an attention *****.

Feel free to flame me, but those are the thoughts of a lifelong gun guy and someone who carries a gun every single day for the sole purpose of self defense.

solus

welcome....naw'lll we don't flame folk who meander out onto the OC stage and make pronunciations to get attention such as you just did...

we get popcorn and a slurpy and wait and watch the activities.

ipse

stealthyeliminator

If you are a bad guy, you have a 50/50 chance of dying if you try to do something bad to me.

Those are pretty bad odds for someone taking steps and equipping them self for self-defense, you should probably practice more. The odds should be much better than that.

The rest of your post isn't worth quoting or responding to.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I concealed carry every single day. I probably have a gun on me at this very moment. I say probably because you would never know just by looking at me. If you are a bad guy, you have a 50/50 chance of dying if you try to do something bad to me. If a bad guy walks into a store that I happen to be in, he's not going to pay any special attention to me. I'm just another fat guy getting a pop. However, if that bad guy does something bad, I will have the upperhand since I will have the element of surprise on my side.

Which brings me back to the original question of this thread: Why open carry? You are only drawing attention to yourself. If a bad guy walks into a store you are in and wants to do something bad, you are his first target. He now has the element of surprise on his side since he knows you have a gun but you have no idea if he has one or not until its too late. You have put a target on yourself. Lets take that just a bit further: If all the good guys open carried, the bad guys would love it. They would know exactly who to do bad things to. If everyone concealed carried, the bad guys would have to assume that everyone COULD have a gun and they would have to decide if their life is worth the risk.

Now lets all take a break from the talking points and be honest. Why do you open carry? I'd guess its for attention. Either trying to get attention from law enforcement or bystanders. You hope for someone to create a scene. If you really were concerned about being able to defend yourselves and others, you would conceal carry. You add to the safety of the public just by adding doubt to the bad guys' minds. You give yourself an edge over the bad guys. My thinking is that open carry people are either out for attention or can't get a license to conceal carry. Maybe you can't afford the license or the class, maybe you can't pass the background checks, maybe you are just an attention *****.

Feel free to flame me, but those are the thoughts of a lifelong gun guy and someone who carries a gun every single day for the sole purpose of self defense.
No need to flame you - you lit the torch.

Your provocative statements have been made numerous times before and are totally w/o merit.

I carry 24/7 for self defense and the educational benefit to others.

Frankly, I don't care how you personally carry - OC, CC, noC. Just do nothing to impede my ability - something your first post would seem to be attempting AND with insults in violation of our Forum Rules. You might want to avoid that in the future.

BTW - welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Elm Creek Smith

Please everyone, don't take this the wrong way.

I am a retired peace officer. I have dealt with my share of open Carry citizens in the past, and every time I
have encountered OC citizen I have asked the same question, but never gotten what I thought was a straightforward answer. My question is simple, Why open Carry? I know it is your right, that I get, but besides you wanting to exercise your right, why?

Does carrying an unloaded firearm in a holster somehow make you feel safer, because it shouldn't.

I don't carry unloaded guns, openly or concealed. Unloaded handguns make good paperweights and lousy clubs. It must be a thing in some less free state.

qednick

I used to be a CC guy just like you. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I was once CC'ing in my front jeans pocket, sat in my car on the cell phone with seatbelt on when a perp entered my car and sat in the passenger seat demanding I take him somewhere. Not only did the perp have "the element of surprise" (believe me, I was surprised!) but I couldn't get to the LCP in my front jeans pocket had I wanted to.

So your 50/50 odds are probably correct. How you carry is up to you. Now, I'd prefer the perp didn't follow me to my car in the first place.

jeep1969

I don't know about you but I see everyone as possibly carrying a weapon. I have been open carrying for 20 years and cannot see how I am giving the criminal an edge in any way.

FTG-05

Those are pretty bad odds for someone taking steps and equipping them self for self-defense, you should probably practice more. The odds should be much better than that.

The rest of your post isn't worth quoting or responding to.

Agree.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Bears_Standing_Ovation.jpg

Hear, hear!

Bearing arms openly sends a powerful message.

Sir Diealotz

Could I get some extra butter? And not just on top, In the middle and then add more popcorn and more butter. Much appreciated... :cool:

JoeSparky

Centurion
I don't know about you but I see everyone as possibly carrying a weapon. I have been open carrying for 20 years and cannot see how I am giving the criminal an edge in any way.

Agree with you here. Adding--- I have seen a security video on line from a convenience (stop and rob) store where the bad guy pulls a gun to rob the place without even seeing the uniformed police officer standing in line BEHIND him.

If the BG don't see the uniformed officer as he is doing the robbery then I feel I have nothing to fear just OC'ing a self defense tool in a holster.

stealthyeliminator

What for? I'm guessing that was a drive-by post - he won't be back...

As I said but then deleted - it is apparent that the user expects us all to listen to him while he is not willing to listen to anyone here. He came to speak, and he spoke, and he does not want to listen, and so leaves. Rude indeed.

F350

Yad, yada, yada...

Here ya go...

My opinion-your opinion.jpg