• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why open carry in Delaware?

stephpd

imported post

stephpd wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Hawker wrote:
I've been a long time reader of this forum section and several other areas here. I am a new poster though.

My question is why open carry? Delaware is not a hard state to get your permit. Why open yourself up to false arrests, hassles, and the like? Just get the permit and don't worry about it. Then... add on PA and FL and you are good to go.

Any takers?
Open carry in this state is legal and the only way left to express the RIGHT to bear arms.

You like hunting, need the states permission and a hunting lisence.

You want to carry conceal? States permission and a lot of then looking you over to see if your a law abiding citizen AND have a need.

You talk about supporting the 2A but you have problems with those that do by openly carrying. Which is THE ONLY WAY to show that.

I have my CCDW (states permission) and use it everyday because of people like you who would call the police on me.

If people (including the police) fear people expressing their RIGHTS then we are trully lost.

As far as coming to Dover, which is the only city in DE where you have to have a CCDW to 'Teach' the police about a state gauranteed RIGHT, maybe someday. To bad we can't exercise that RIGHT in the states capital.

You are looking at what may become an activist group, just not yet.

This is a site for anyone to come and ask question about anything. And share thier experiences with others about carrying openly or concealed.

Remember, you started this.;)
Read it again. Matter of fact read any or all my posts.
I've never claimed to be a political activist.

I look like the type of person that is up to no good. Long hair,beard and leather jacket.

I have no desire, yet, to be a political activist.

I've spent the last 29 years in public service. 4 years active duty in the Navy (76 -80). MM3 in Main Control where I was the quickest person, below E-5, on ship to qualify engine room supervisor. The last 25 years in water quality. 20 as a mechanic, 15 in sewage. 5 years as an operator.

I support the other guys here that do open carry.

"YOU on the other hand, come to an open carry forum and trolling for an answer ask:

I've been a long time reader of this forum section and several other areas here. I am a new poster though.

My question is why open carry? Delaware is not a hard state to get your permit. Why open yourself up to false arrests, hassles, and the like? Just get the permit and don't worry about it. Then... add on PA and FL and you are good to go.

Any takers?"

Many people here give you answers to why some carry.
1) It's legal
2) Can't afford it
3) Only way to express whats left of the 2A

YOU continue with :

"Sure...that's part of it, but don't you think it is a less conspicuous way of going about carrying (to go concealed)?

Heck... if you are open about things, then everyone knows. Who cares about the newspaper thing and 5 refs. I'm not sure that it is a good plan in Delaware.

Most LEO's are not spooled up so the 2nd amendment argument takes place at the police station. Is that what you want? LEO's are in the arresting business... not the legal business."

So by your first responce you get an answer that you can agree that there might be a reason.

But more baiting by telling everyone here that cops don't have to know the law.

But that's not good enough for you. YOU Want what left of the 2A to become regulated:

"What do you think about having a DE Permit to open carry? It could be an endorsement to the CCDW Permit.I believe Texas handles it this way in their state.

I think less people would have heartburn about the whole open carry thing if those open carrying had a permit to do so. It would certainly make passage alot easier if law enforcement was shown your permit if there was ever a problem. Right now, LEO's don't have any idea who it is that is open carrying. Plan on being detained until they sort it out. I know Article 1, but do they? A permit could make things easier.. a lot easier for all.

I'm a big fan of the 2nd and even a bigger fan of living peaceably with your neighbors and friends. I don't see where a permit to open carry would be that big of a deal. Of course, I would really like to see the state go to shall issue.

Would you carry concealed or open if you had a permit allowing you to do either? Obviously, I prefer concealed carry and willnot be carrying open. People don't have a need to see my 1911. I think open carry justinvites confrontation."

YOU are concerned about how people 'feel' with the heartburn statement. But how does having a permit to open carry stop the heartburn? AND you say that by having a permit, "AND YOU KNOW ARTICLE 1, BUT DO THEY?" All about feelings and opinion.

IT'S LEGAL!

TROLL!

Remember You started it! I think I've answered your questions, given you reasons and you still don't get it. I'm done with YOU! Go away.

Please just go back to your high horse, ride off into the sunset and leave.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Wow. Just.... wow. This thread just amazes me. 6 pages of crap. No offense to the original poster. But come on.

Why would anyone come to a forum called OPEN CARRY dot org and "challenge" the logic of openly carrying a handgun? And then wonder why he's being called a troll and gettingnegative responses? Hmmm... let's think about that one.

Hawker:

You've made it a point to informus that you're experienced, older than most of us, carry concealed, etc. So what?That doesn't mean we allbelieve it. Nor does it mean that your assumptions are accurate about us. It doesn't matter how old we are,or howwe choose to carry, orif we work or live here, orif we have kids or not, or what our reasons are. What matters is that we've all chosen to carry our guns (OC or CC), and it's lawful to do so. Period.

And I don't think anything that has been said or will be said will change our minds about OCing, or your mind about CCing. To each his/her own. It's a personal choice. And it's a very close-to-the-heart choice that we all made. Just like you won't change someone's mind about their religious choice, or political choice, or even firearm brand/model choice, the same can be said about their carry choice. The choice has already been made. There ain't no changing it. :cool:

If you think everyone should get their CCDW License here in Delaware, then I'd be grateful if you'd kindly provide the $400 to me so I can get mine. The cost is the main reason I don't have mine after 3 years of wanting one. Nevermind the fact that you have to publicly advertise the fact that you want a concealed carry license. Kind of defeats the purpose of "concealed" doesn't it?

Hawker, welcome tothe fight. And I don't mean on this forum. We all have a lot of fighting to do, and it's against the sheeple, the uneducated public (civilians and police), the anti-gunners, the anti-everything politicians, etc....We shouldn't be fighting amongst ourselves.

ijusam

imported post

Hawker wrote:
No "challenge"... just trying to understand the OC concept. I've lived in Delaware a very long time and have not yet seen OC except for LE. Enlighten me... how many folks do you think actually OC on a daily basis?

how many?? I for one have no idea, but I know there are people OCing today that wern't OCing a year ago. assuming that someone that was opencarrying wouldn't just stop for no reason I must assume the number is growing. I open carry every day. not all day every day, sometines I conceal for various reasons, but when that circumstance has passed i revert to OC

Get off the "it's my right thing" and think about how you might approach the citizens and Law enforecement of Delaware. They aren't interested in political activism... they are interested in reasonable, logical discourse form informed OC people... not gunshop commando rhetoric. Do I have your attention now?

I approach the citizens and law enforcement of delaware the same with or without a OC'd gun. as a person carrying on his daily activities. yes MOST people are not interested in any kind of political activism unless it is something they are already passionate about. my activism is more subtle than waving banners, picketting, and burning abortion clinics... I carry on as a normal person who happens to be wearing a gun. if someone asks about it I will (briefly) give some information. maybe No converts, but I am increasing awearness of the fact its legal.

Nor does it mean that your assumptions are accurate about us.

They want to know your thinking rather than a political activist (confrontational) position.

I don't confront anyone. they are free to make their own choice (as it should be) but they are less likely to be "freaked out" by seeing a gun the next time. Very few have been "freaked out" by the sight of me and my gun and i am told I am rather intimidating. even the few that were nervous about the gun have asked about it. if they were truely freaked out I think all I would see are a$$es and elbows.

I prefer CC to OC for the numerous reasons outlined previously. That doesn't make me a troll. When trying to promote your position, it is helpful that you come from a position of wanting people to understand OC. DE is a tough state. On one hand, you have a gun-friendly Governor, the President of the NRA, and lot's of sporting enthusiasts....but, the Brady's arehere in a semi-liberal Democrat State (legislature and many citizens)that don't have a clue.

Your preference. I would rather someone was carrying no matter how. thats what I'm about. don't try to force your views or morals on me. ( this is a statement of my views, not an attack on you.) I'm saying that the pope and the president and all others are free to have their own beleifs, but don't try to force me to beleive the way you think is the only TRUE WAY.

Exactly... but reasonable discussions are important. OC must sell the people of the state, not me. I'm all for gun rights. Most uninformed people think you have to have some sort of permit just to own a gun. They are a product of the news media I'm afraid.

True

It's nice to have both options as many of the OC folks prefer CC at times.

yes its nice, but I never prefer to cc. I do so out of necessity at times.

If you had the CCDW, would you prefer that over OC? Both have their time and place I think.

My CCDW dosen't make me perfer CC it allows me the option of CC and keeps me from violating the federal school zone. plus allows me to legally carry in Dover

I don't agree with the newspaper thing, but it really doesn't defeat the purpose or compromise your position when carrying. Bad guys rarely, if ever read the announcements.

A well thought out plan for OC is more important than just handling the issue at the police dept because some super trooper didn't know the law. Wynder looks like he has a good grip on the concept. Nothing will happen (mostly the shall issue thing) until Mitchell leaves his post and goes back to the Brady's from which he came. It's important to vote.

Gunslinger

imported post

A bit off topic, but I just found out my CO CCWis legal for CC in DE. A recent change, I guess. Good for DE! They seem much 2A friendlier than I would have thought.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
A bit off topic, but I just found out my CO CCWis legal for CC in DE. A recent change, I guess. Good for DE! They seem much 2A friendlier than I would have thought.
Outside of getting a license, Delaware is blissfully absent of many gun laws.

Hawker

imported post

dave_in_delaware wrote:
Hawker, what happened to all of your posts? All I see is a

now where you used to have some words and sentences.... :?:?

Dave- After getting beat up as a troll, a punk with a 1911, and several other innuendos from people on this site, I decided to just delete some ofthe posts awhile back.

I suppose my concealed carry preference didn't sit well withsome of theOC guys, and that's ok... I'd like to think we are all on the same 2A side of things.

I do think Rob is a strong contributor and has added much valuable information, both on the CC and OC issues. I appreciate his posts. I was hoping to run into him and say hello at the USPSA Shoot in Chester County last weekend. It was a good shoot. I don't get there often as it is quite the hike from down here on a Saturday with beach traffic and all.

Although not a member, I have read the postings and such at your Deloc site. That's a good site and probably even more localized than this one. Good work.

Thanks for your note and inquiry.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Hawker wrote:
I do think Rob is a strong contributor and has added much valuable information, both on the CC and OC issues. I appreciate his posts. I was hoping to run into him and say hello at the USPSA Shoot in Chester County last weekend.
I was finishing up my training for my NRA Instructor Certification, otherwise I probably would've attended. Hopefully we'll be able to catch up at some point in the future. :)

Hawker

imported post

Wynder wrote:
Hawker wrote:
I do think Rob is a strong contributor and has added much valuable information, both on the CC and OC issues. I appreciate his posts. I was hoping to run into him and say hello at the USPSA Shoot in Chester County last weekend.
I was finishing up my training for my NRA Instructor Certification, otherwise I probably would've attended. Hopefully we'll be able to catch up at some point in the future. :)
Thanks, Rob. I'd like that.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Hawker wrote:
Dave- After getting beat up as a troll, a punk with a 1911, and several other innuendos from people on this site, I decided to just delete some ofthe posts awhile back.

I suppose my concealed carry preference didn't sit well withsome of theOC guys, and that's ok... I'd like to think we are all on the same 2A side of things.

Although not a member, I have read the postings and such at your Deloc site. That's a good site and probably even more localized than this one. Good work.

Thanks for your note and inquiry.

Well, you have to admit, you picked a strange forum to "challenge" the validity of OC. That's like going over to GlockTalk and telling them how their Glocks suck. You'd get a sh!tstorm there, too. I do wish you wouldn't have deleted your posts though....

Your CC preference is fine and dandy, and it makes sense to you (and in some circumstances to me too). Heck, since my last real visit here I've begun my CCDW process. But even after I get my CCDW License, I plan on continuing to OC as much as I can.

Thanks for the compliment about DELOC. Rob has put a lot of time and work into that forum, and it's working out very well. It's definitely a localized OC forum. Sort of an extension from OCDO actually. Perhaps we'll see you become a member there? As long as you don't post about how CC would be better. ;):p