• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman accidentally shot during citizen police academy (citizen patrol) training

Va_Nemo

One of those cops used to the new semiautos and thats all. Probably pulled a round from under the hammer in the revolver and figured it was safe.

Nemo

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
did Ms knowlton get hit with an actual bullet or blank ammo residue? do not believe they have released that tidbit

ipse

Good question.

I recall a visiting an "old west cowboy" attraction when I was a kid. Maybe Knottsberry Farms--can't recall. They had an Old West duel in the dirt street a few times a day. The actors made sure to stand a long ways apart with those blanks. The reason was apparent--even to an 8-year old--when walking up to the "jail." Tacked up on the wall on each side of the jail door was a soda can penetrated by a blank cartridge.

Note to Self: If ever involved in a police simulation at a Citizen Academy, insist on checking the loaded ammunition personally right before the simulation. Also, insist on a demonstration of the damage caused by those exact blanks--say a soda can, Styrofoam coffee cup, etc. And, insist on body armor. If denied or criticized by even so much as a sour glance, walk away without comment or explanation. Better yet, don't participate.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What in the hell was a functioning firearm used in force on force training.? Everybody should be fired that was involved, and the supervisors that allowed this fiasco.

Training guns is not a new concept, it has been around for decades, complete idiots.

New readers should understand: the quoted opinion comes from somebody who really is in a position (by way of experience) to make the quoted judgment.

Certainly, I will take proffered opinion. Without further reservation.

Done deal. Thanks for chiming in, WW.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Good question.

I recall a visiting an "old west cowboy" attraction when I was a kid. Maybe Knottsberry Farms--can't recall. They had an Old West duel in the dirt street a few times a day. The actors made sure to stand a long ways apart with those blanks. The reason was apparent--even to an 8-year old--when walking up to the "jail." Tacked up on the wall on each side of the jail door was a soda can penetrated by a blank cartridge.

Note to Self: If ever involved in a police simulation at a Citizen Academy, insist on checking the loaded ammunition personally right before the simulation. Also, insist on a demonstration of the damage caused by those exact blanks--say a soda can, Styrofoam coffee cup, etc. And, insist on body armor. If denied or criticized by even so much as a sour glance, walk away without comment or explanation. Better yet, don't participate.
In so doing, you could be denying your heirs the opportunity for a civil suit. :p

davidmcbeth

Banned
What in the hell was a functioning firearm used in force on force training.? Everybody should be fired that was involved, and the supervisors that allowed this fiasco.

Training guns is not a new concept, it has been around for decades, complete idiots.

I don't think that the folks at that agency are any different than at any other agency.

Everyone should be fired. But as .govs they believe that they have a right to work there.

OC for ME

Good question.

:eek:

Citizen: Do you mind if I check to be sure that the firearm is either a harmless simulated firearm, or that if a real firearm, that no live ammunition or blanks are loaded...thanks, appreciate your help.
Cop(s): HOW DARE YOU!!!...YOU YOU SURF!!! TURN AROUND AND PUT YOUR HAND ON YOUR HEAD...NOW SCUM BAG!!!

solus

now there are three commentaries on the subject...
1. The Social Lounge Have an accidental discharge and they want to convict you of something?
2. The Social Lounge Woman accidentally shot during citizen police academy (citizen patrol) training
3. The States Florida Punta Gorda Police: Woman shot, killed at Citizens Academy

slow day eh?

ipse

The two threads are now merged.

just saying...:eek:

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
now there are three commentaries on the subject...
1. The Social Lounge Have an accidental discharge and they want to convict you of something?
2. The Social Lounge Woman accidentally shot during citizen police academy (citizen patrol) training
3. The States Florida Punta Gorda Police: Woman shot, killed at Citizens Academy

slow day eh?

ipse

just saying...:eek:

ipse
#1 is generic

#2 not found

#3 merged from 2 threads in the Florida sub-forum.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Sometimes I'll write and post a new thread in seconds ... sometimes hours ... so sometimes I would expect new news to have duplicate posts and one person writing cannot see other posts until after hitting the magic button.

I'm sure you know this....for benefit of others why 2 folks might post something relating to a single incident.

Everybody merge....:D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sometimes I'll write and post a new thread in seconds ... sometimes hours ... so sometimes I would expect new news to have duplicate posts and one person writing cannot see other posts until after hitting the magic button.

I'm sure you know this....for benefit of others why 2 folks might post something relating to a single incident.

Everybody merge....:D

OC for ME

The husband of a woman shot dead in front of 34 people in a police role play exercise gone wrong has recalled the horrifying moment his wife was killed.
Officer Lee Coel, 28, shot retired librarian Mary Knowlton by 'mistake' during the demonstration in Punta Gorda, Florida, on Tuesday night.

Mrs Knowlton's husband, Gary, said the 73-year-old mother had 'volunteered to be the victim in the mock shooting' that took her life.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rrifying-moment-wife-killed-cop-Lee-Coel.html
Funeral reported as having took place on 8/16/16.

Mot a peep from the cops...