• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wounded deer... what can be done?

Dieselcrawler

Yesterday evening, as I was driving home along a 2 lane highway out in the country, I noticed a wounded deer in the same place it had been earlier that morning... hit, wounded to the point of not being able to move out of the ditch, and still in the same place, and still alive enough to be moving it's head to look at traffic. The first time I saw it I was in a line of traffic, and just got a glimps of it... there was also no good place to pull off the road, ground is soft due to rain, and I drive a heavy dually truck.

On my return trip, after seeing the poor animal still there, alive and not able to move, I stopped at the next wide spot and called the local sheriff. A few hours later, when I passed again, it had been shot, I can only assume the sheriff took care of it. I had heard CB radio chatter earlier about a driver calling in to the sheriff that he hit the deer the day before, and that he was surprised it was still there, alive.

In this situation, what am I alowd to do? I did what I knew would be the fail-safe option, call the sheriff. However, in this situation, I would want to put the poor animal out of it's misery, and dispatch it quickly. A single .22 shot to the head would have done all that was needed. And to my understanding, totaly illeagle for me to do so. Very likely that nothing would have been said had I stopped and shot it, and had the conditions been diffrent (a better place to pull off the road closer) I likely would have... However, I also didn't want to take any chances. I do have my concealed carry permit, and my understanding from that is if my gun is seen, unless I'm actively using it for self defence, I'm violating the rules.

I guess my question in a nut shell is this: Would this be a permissable use of the weppon I carry? It is indeed one of the main reasons I want to be able to carry a gun with me, and on the farm it's no big deal. I have had a gun in the truck for years, ever since I wounded a cat with the sickle mower (I'll let you guess how) and had to drive 2 miles back to the house to get a gun and come back to shoot a cat kinda running around the hayfield. I hated the feeling of not doing what should be done for the deer along the road, out of fear of the risk of what might get me in trouble.

Any comments? Been on my mind all day. I know I did the politicly correct thing, but did I do the right thing?

Cobbersmom

Check with your state Natural Resources or call the Sheriffs dept. In Wisconsin we can't dispatch them. Usually the local law enforcement or DNR will do the dispatching. Here the cops show up quickly. In fact, yesterday a big doe was paralyzed on the hind end and I wanted it tagged. The cop showed up within 15 minutes of my call. I love picking up cop dispatched roadkill. Very little meat damage!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Correct in Wisconsin by law we can't do the right thing and shoot them, by law we have to watch them suffer. By law we have to call the Cops. But that's not what I did a few years back. If no one see's you do something, then did it happen ? I can't even imagine what horrific suffering that deer endured for 24 hours.

Last edited:

usamarshal

Here in Ohio we just dispatch an officer and they usually put a hollow point between the eyes...then if you ask nicely they may let you take the prize home. Or you can just call ted nugent.

Dieselcrawler

I was telling my dad (who owns no guns) about it, and he almost cried...

I agree, from the common sense standpoint, do the right thing, put the poor animal out of it's misery.

I had the chance to speak to a local gun shop owner today, he said the same thing. Might not be leagle, but not meny around here are gonna say anything about it, let alone actuly cite me for it...

It all hinged on the lack of a good place to pull off the road close to where the deer was. Had that not been an issue, I know what I would have done.

mark-in-texas

There's 'legal' and then there's 'right.' The 2 are not always the same thing. I would personally have choosen right over legal; I think anyone with an ounce of humanity would choose the same.

Dieselcrawler

There's 'legal' and then there's 'right.' The 2 are not always the same thing. I would personally have choosen right over legal; I think anyone with an ounce of humanity would choose the same.

I totally agree...

After the fact... I now regret not going with my first instinct. The instructor at my concealed carry course "put the fear of" the law in my head, and not wanting to jeprodize my CC permit, I did what I did, going against my instinct. I've talked to several people, and now know I would react differently...

As has been mentioned before in other threads... situational awareness and good judgement is key.