• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WVRecord - Wheeling police sued for harassing open carriers

KBCraig

It is not their money that was paid out - it came from the tax payers pockets. Personal liability is the answer and/or a court order to change policies and procedures.

If the taxpayers care, they will change the city government. If they don't, they get the bill.

jdmm72

Each time they pay out, they have to either live with the reduction of budget, or they have to propose an additional levy. To propose the additional levy usually requires a vote, and political ramifications. They can't just raise taxes willy nilly. Eventually, the mayor, or his/her replacement will fire the police chief and possibly some of the officers. It has ramifications to them also, it isn't just a "people's" money ordeal. You know a mayor can't just go ask for money without an explanation, and if that mayor has to explain why the police force needs more money, in a public forum, chances are, he/she will be rebutted by the other side.

I mean think about it, even many of the "school levies" aren't passing. The "for the kids" argument isn't even working anymore.

Last edited:

F350

Originally Posted by jdmm72
Looks like it's over. No change, just a monetary donation for the violation of civil rights....

http://wvrecord.com/news/257544-whee...amendment-suit

How stupid can these people possibly be?

They have just paid $55,000 to settle a lawsuit, and admitted that they aren't going to change the way they operate their department.

Seems to me that's an engraved invitation for Open Carriers to line up in Wheeling for 5-digit payoffs! Wow.

How many OC dinners and lunches will be scheduled for Wheeling in the next six months?

TFred

Damn! If I weren't 1,500 miles away I'd be packing the truck right now!!!!!!