• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You must protect yourself when carrying, ALWAYS! carry recording devices.

Firemark

A news story of withheld evidence. No matter how safe you think it is, or how friendly you think LE is to you or 2A issues, be smart and carry recording devices.

Before you step out into public with your firearm, you must have tape rolling and hidden on your body to record everything that happens to you. There are forces aligned against 2A civil rights who will lie, cheat, and steal to make you out to be something other than a Law Abiding Citizen. As much as you carry a firearm for self protection, the recorder is as important if not more so. Dont carry without one (or two or more).

jecsd1

Would y'all mind sharing the recorders you carry and how you carry them. I want to start carrying one. Granted, here in TX, we only have CC but I still want to get in the habit so that when I finally can OC (someday) I'll be ready. Thanks

MR Redenck

I think recorders are a good idea, but what if they erase it or it disappears?
The idea I have is to use my cell phone. Call my answering machine and have the recording off location. Then you have to wonder about getting coverage to place the call.

Firemark

I think recorders are a good idea, but what if they erase it or it disappears?
The idea I have is to use my cell phone. Call my answering machine and have the recording off location. Then you have to wonder about getting coverage to place the call.

Use multiple recording devices, one that is obvious and one that is hidden. Also bring along a non carrying friend who has the ability to record from a distance if neccesary. Iphone has an app for recording offsite, Qikvideo. So that could be device #1.

Lord Sega

I got an over the ear, bluetooth looking 4gb digital recorder.

I thought about the worst case scenario, such as being "felony" stopped (ie LEO has weapon drawn).

I did not want a recorder / phone that would have me reaching anywhere near my belt.
I don't wear shirts with pockets.
I wanted something that would record where I'm looking.
I can turn it on when I put my hands up or on my head.

Digital Recorder.jpg

Firemark

I got an over the ear, bluetooth looking 4gb digital recorder.

I thought about the worst case scenario, such as being "felony" stopped (ie LEO has weapon drawn).

I did not want a recorder / phone that would have me reaching anywhere near my belt.
I don't wear shirts with pockets.
I wanted something that would record where I'm looking.
I can turn it on when I put my hands up or on my head.

View attachment 6985

Worst case scenario, an overzealous LE wants no evidence of their violation of your civil rights, so they will confiscate any recording device as "evidence" and it WILL be conveniently erased.

Recording devices must be running the entire time your in public OC'ing
Start wearing shirts with pockets to carry additional recording devices and your lawyers business card
Carry a throw down recorder (the one that is easy to find) and carry a hidden recorder (that they will miss since they are focusing on the throw down).

It is in all likelyhood that this type of encounter may not happen, but you want to be prepared if it ever does.

Spy sunglasses and spy pens and spy blue tooth are great devices.

Ca Patriot

Use multiple recording devices, one that is obvious and one that is hidden. Also bring along a non carrying friend who has the ability to record from a distance if neccesary. Iphone has an app for recording offsite, Qikvideo. So that could be device #1.

qik video is a MUST have in my opinion. i wouldnt do any open carrying unless you use it.

We-the-People

There is also an APP for the IPod and IPhone called "Unstoppable Recorder" that, once started can not be shut off without the 4 digit code you select. Turn off the Pod/Phone and it continues recording until memory is gone. Not sure if it then shuts down, overwrites, or what but I went an hour and hardly used any battery (still showed 100%) or memory on my IPod Touch latest generation. Add a set of earbuds with a mic for a better recording than the mic inside a pocket and you're set....for one of the TWO minimum recorders that you should have.

I also have a wireless mic that transmits to a separate receiver that can be carried in a locked bag by another person...takes a warrant to get into that bag even if they figure it out.

Badger Johnson

I also have a wireless mic that transmits to a separate receiver that can be carried in a locked bag by another person...takes a warrant to get into that bag even if they figure it out.

If they want it to stop receiving there's no need to get -into- the bag. Most attempts are not robust, but there has been stomping on cellphones on a recent video.

I have two - one looks like (and is) a little MP3 lapel clip on. Other one is a USB Olympus. Good advice, people.

Firemark

There is also an APP for the IPod and IPhone called "Unstoppable Recorder" that, once started can not be shut off without the 4 digit code you select. Turn off the Pod/Phone and it continues recording until memory is gone. Not sure if it then shuts down, overwrites, or what but I went an hour and hardly used any battery (still showed 100%) or memory on my IPod Touch latest generation. Add a set of earbuds with a mic for a better recording than the mic inside a pocket and you're set....for one of the TWO minimum recorders that you should have.

Just downloaded unstoppable recorder for Iphone. Free App!!! works awesome thanks for the recomendation.

When I OC I have 2 concealed Audio devices running from before I strap up, a concealed video that can be started without alerting or scaring LE by hand movements, and a back up video camera that is the throw down, very small, smaller than a lighter. The one I want LE to see and attempt to confiscate.