• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Young Kid Suspended for Spent Casing

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Zero-effing-tolerance strikes again.

Although I admit I was surprized they did not expel the kid for talking about guns.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
But it's scarrrrrrrrrrrrry!

Remember the street in England that was shut down over a .22 case?

stay safe.

wardtom084

school

It is something to think of how some schools have gone nuts over this type of item. My 15 year old grandson carries a knife to school and when I asked him about it, he said the teachers know that he has it, they have even borrowed it to open up a package etcs.

davidmcbeth

Banned
This is wrong! A student should not be suspended for a spent shell casing. I would have brought it to show and tell. This shouldn’t happen in KS.

http://www.chanute.com/news/article_be4861c0-80c5-11e4-9433-0b2d9486f3e8.html

"... that every effort is made to provide a safe place to learn and work. It would not be appropriate to comment on an individual student.”..

Now if a crazed killer goes into the school and shootz up the kids, the kids have a lawsuit good and the guy just said that "every effort is made".

Spent brass? Oh my. You could poke out nothing with that.

twoskinsonemanns

"Carlson said she was not happy with her son for having the shell casing, which everyone agrees he should not have had at school."

Everyone? pfft!

I honestly would have gone into the office and told my kid right in front of those pricks that he did nothing wrong and the school was purposely trying to indoctrinate him to be a spineless sheep with a slave-to-the-state mentality. I then would have told him I was going to buy him ice cream and take him to the gun range.

I worry that one of these extremely unjust cases that abound may one day end with some parent retaliating against some school board member.

Maverick9

Probably not too safe, toxic materials-wise, but we used to carry around .22 casings and use them as whistles.

(I also used to carry my spare lead pellets in my mouth for my single-pump pellet gun; hell I can't even spell dain-bramage).

davidmcbeth

Banned

wittmeba

We went on an Alaskan Cruise Sep of 2013. I had this with me and was questioned by 1 TSA. He saw it in the little blue tote, picked it up and called me over. He asked what it was? I told him it was a bottle opener gift from our son (I didn't have the picture yet). He handed it back and on I went without any problems. Put it to good use on the cruise :)

BottleOpener308L2.jpg

Kopis

We went on an Alaskan Cruise Sep of 2013. I had this with me and was questioned by 1 TSA. He saw it in the little blue tote, picked it up and called me over. He asked what it was? I told him it was a bottle opener gift from our son (I didn't have the picture yet). He handed it back and on I went without any problems. Put it to good use on the cruise :)

BottleOpener308L2.jpg

People probably start cowering in fear when they see that right?

davidmcbeth

Banned

I've had the TSA ask me about stuff I had....I never tell them what it is...I just ask "and what type of prohibited item is it and where is your evidence supporting such a claim?"

When a gov't official asks you a question the correct response is to ask them questions.

Rusty Young Man

BottleOpener308L2.jpg

People probably start cowering in fear when they see that right?

Yep. Allegedly responsible for both the death of 10,322 people in 2012* and the discovery of the structure of DNA in 1953**, alcoholic beverages do scare some people:p.

*According to these guys: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811870.pdf

**This is your cool, random fact of the day brought to you by an OCing nerd:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2804545.stm

Last edited:

OC for ME