• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got Stopped Open Carrying Today by an Atlanta PD Officer

Fallschirjmäger

Georgia law requires a GWL to be in one's possession while carrying.
The law does not (as the older version of the law did) require it to be carried on one's person.
No section of the Georgia Code mandates that the GWL must be presented to law enforcement at any time, it is up to them to 'make the case' that a GWL was not found.

The question could easily be asked, Can a case be made that a kilo of cocaine in the trunk of one's car parked 100 meters away in a parking lot is in one's possession while a valid GWL laying atop the kilo of coke is somehow Not in one's possession?

Do I want to be the test-case? Not necessarily but, if somehow found with my GWL left in my car while I'm having a frozen cappuccino frappe with extra cream, I'm Definitely going to have my attorney raise that as a point.

Last edited:

aadvark

KingFish:

I can Learn to Better Appreciate The Merits of your Argument in Light of Case Law Presented under State vs. Jones.

Therefore..., I will Remove My Aforementioned Post, and I will Incorporate The Reasoning that You Offer Pursuant to The Case which You have Cited.

Although The Statute that I Previously Cited does Exist, I Note that, The Case Law Findings in State vs. Jones Clarify that I Incorrectly Interpreted its Contents.

aadvark

Last edited:

Superlite27

I think it's another Citizen recommendation that the best thing to ask is
"Why am I being detained?"

That question puts them on notice that you feel you are being detained.

They have to come up with a legally-acceptable reason why, & if they give you any reason they're admitting they are detaining you, so your right to remain silent is even better protected by laws.

Excellent tip, MKEgal! Makes great sense. Thanks for sharing. I'll definately update my repertoir of reasoned responses.

Officer: "Hey, come over here for a second."
Me: "Why am I being detained?".......

KAPOW!

By asking this question the officer is led down a road where ANY answer given is detrimental to the officer's intent (Whatever it is):

A) Officer: "Well, because...(insert anything)" = YOU HAVE OFFICIALLY BEEN DETAINED BECAUSE THE OFFICER HAS IMPLICITLY ADMITTED IT.

B) Officer: "Well, I'm not detaining you" or "You're not being detained" = WALK AWAY.

It doesn't matter what the answer is, it puts you in the driver's seat.

I like it. Good stuff.

stargateranch

You did exactly the right thing.
The cop knew it, and he resented the fact that he had no authority over your legal actions; hence 'the wave'.

Just wave back, smile, and keep walking. Or better yet go buy him a doughnut, I am a cop and love doughnuts, never turn one down, in off season.

smn

Georgia requires a permit to carry. Regardless of the perception, it was a legitimate inquiry on the part of the LEO when observing the carry. It's no difference than showing a drivers license on demand. All this 'diss' stuff is juvenile thug culture crap. 'Not surprising that many of you get into the jackpot with these anti-cop 'sovereign person' attitudes. Yeah... there are onerous JBT attitudes among cops but this doesn't appear to be one of them.
As another has stated, there is no statutory law by which the officer may demand or the person submit for examination the GWL.

If you remember your history permits began as a way to restrict certain subsets of the population from exercising their rights. Thankfully, GeorgiaCarry.org has helped eliminate much of the 140 year old Jim Crow laws.

To the OP: you did just fine.

Sonora Rebel

As another has stated, there is no statutory law by which the officer may demand or the person submit for examination the GWL.

If you remember your history permits began as a way to restrict certain subsets of the population from exercising their rights. Thankfully, GeorgiaCarry.org has helped eliminate much of the 140 year old Jim Crow laws.

To the OP: you did just fine.

Terry vs Ohio for one. LEO's can (and will... and do) stop people for any cursory reason. Permit... license are semantics of the same contrivance. The free exercise of a right should not require permit/license of a fee, but bearing arms in particular has been subjected to that. (Not in Arizona anymore, but the LEO attitude is culturally different here.

Police definition: 'The civil force of a state, responsible for the prevention and detection of crime and the maintenance of public order.'

Another point y'all seem to have ignored: 'Disorderly Conduct - Failure to Obey' 'Cop sez: 'C'mere...' I'd suggest you do it. You 'chat room lawyers' crack me up. No wonder some of you whine when you end up with a face plant displaying 'attitudes' gleaned from gun forums. I'm beginnin' to believe that some of you really do 'strut around' as the anti's like to say... while armed; just looking for a confrontation. Keep that punk attitude and you'll find it.

Fallschirjmäger

Terry vs Ohio for one. LEO's can (and will... and do) stop people for any cursory reason. Permit... license are semantics of the same contrivance. The free exercise of a right should not require permit/license of a fee, but bearing arms in particular has been subjected to that. (Not in Arizona anymore, but the LEO attitude is culturally different here.

Police definition: 'The civil force of a state, responsible for the prevention and detection of crime and the maintenance of public order.'

Another point y'all seem to have ignored: 'Disorderly Conduct - Failure to Obey' 'Cop sez: 'C'mere...' I'd suggest you do it. You 'chat room lawyers' crack me up. No wonder some of you whine when you end up with a face plant displaying 'attitudes' gleaned from gun forums. I'm beginnin' to believe that some of you really do 'strut around' as the anti's like to say... while armed; just looking for a confrontation. Keep that punk attitude and you'll find it.

"Disorderly Conduct - Failure to obey" Really?
I bet you can't come up with the title of the OCGA that lists that as an offense.

As to 'you'll find yourself being faceplanted'... All I can say is...
I had a Deputy tell me to disarm myself, in my own yard and I told him to bugger off. He left all butt-hurt, but he still left.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...nty-Deputy-wanted-to-disarm-me-in-my-own-yard

Sonora Rebel

"Disorderly Conduct - Failure to obey" Really?
I bet you can't come up with the title of the OCGA that lists that as an offense.

As to 'you'll find yourself being faceplanted'... All I can say is...
I had a Deputy tell me to disarm myself, in my own yard and I told him to bugger off. He left all butt-hurt, but he still left.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...nty-Deputy-wanted-to-disarm-me-in-my-own-yard

I bet you've never been a cop or studied criminal justice.... much less made any arrests. (I have 634 or 'em... 94% convictions, 60% felonies... so It's not academic.) Oh... in your 'own' yard'? You told him to 'bugger off'? LMAO! Whutta hero! RAS is what the cop says it is.... you have to prove it wasn't. Cops can do anything... only the court will decide the legalities. Y'all just keep on strokin' each other... It's comical. : )

hotrod

I bet you've never been a cop or studied criminal justice.... much less made any arrests. (I have 634 or 'em... 94% convictions, 60% felonies... so It's not academic.) Oh... in your 'own' yard'? You told him to 'bugger off'? LMAO! Whutta hero! RAS is what the cop says it is.... you have to prove it wasn't. Cops can do anything... only the court will decide the legalities. Y'all just keep on strokin' each other... It's comical. : )

Makes me wonder how many times you testilied. Reading your arrogant post, I would say many. Because we believe that LEO should be held to a higher standard during encounters with law abiding citizens, you think we should be criminalized. You sir, if you are a LEO, should be fired with all due haste. What a troll!

sudden valley gunner

No it isn't. Courts have ruled many times that mere suspicion in itself is not reason enough for detention, (you have to have evidence of why he is suspicous), unless there is exigent circumstances for the detention (Washington, Arizona copied our constitution). None of that existed in the OP's account of what happened.

Interesting enough 95-97% of convictions in the U.S. are plea bargains that lower or change the crime so people are not even usually "convicted" of the crime the supposedly committed. This is done because most folks are not rich enough to defend against the state, and many prosecutors know the full crimes they charged the perp with will not stand up in court in many of the cases. I think often because of the actions of the officers.

This could also be construed as a bribe something contrary to federal law.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

So, having a bit of a hard time coming up with that citation, are you?
Hey, I don't blame you, finding stuff that doesn't exist is always hard. Why don't you take a little more time and come back when you can find it.

Since the minimum standards for being appointed as a police officer are rather low; i.e. having a G.E.D., I'll happily extend a friendly invitation for you to take as long as you need to be able to bring your "A-game" to the discussion.

Edited to add:
Actually my words were "You can get the hell out of my driveway", but since this is a family-friendly forum, I thought moderating my comments were in order.
Sony PC-132 voice recorders...they can come in so handy.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

I bet you've never been a cop or studied criminal justice.... much less made any arrests. (I have 634 or 'em... 94% convictions, 60% felonies... so It's not academic.) Oh...in your 'own' yard'? You told him to 'bugger off'? LMAO! Whutta hero! RAS is what the cop says it is.... you have to prove it wasn't. Cops can do anything... only the court will decide the legalities. Y'all just keep on strokin' each other... It's comical. : )

So, what you are saying is that, in your professional experience, police break the law frequently. Since you claim to be one of the state's armed enforcers, trusted with upholding the law, I assume you have many arrests of fellow officers, since you apparently see them committing crimes with regularity? How many times have you tipped off IAD or the feds about bad cops?

Do you not see the irony here? You get your daily bread paid for by taxpayers, theoretically in exchange for upholding the law. However, when you see laws being broken, you do nothing. Not only that, but you mock those of us who try to have the laws enforced without even demanding payment for services.

You, sir, are disgusting.

MKEgal

hotrod said:
Because we believe that LEO should be held to a higher standard during encounters with law abiding citizens, you think we should be criminalized.
I disagree.
I think LEO should be held to the same standard no matter who they're dealing with.
They should obey & uphold the law, just as they took an oath to do.

Sonora Rebel said:
Terry vs Ohio for one.
The Terry decision says:
...the Fourth Amendment prohibition on unreasonable searches and seizures is not violated when a police officer stops a suspect on the street and frisks him without probable cause to arrest, if the police officer has a reasonable suspicion that the person has committed, is committing, or is about to commit a crime and has a reasonable belief that the person "may be armed and presently dangerous".
This reasonable suspicion must be based on "specific and articulable facts" and not merely upon an officer's hunch.
in justifying the particular intrusion the police officer must be able to point to specific and articulable facts which, taken together with rational inferences from those facts, reasonably warrant the intrusion.
it is simply fantastic to urge that such a procedure performed in public by a policeman while the citizen stands helpless, perhaps facing a wall with his hands raised, is a 'petty indignity.' It is a serious intrusion upon the sanctity of the person, which may inflict great indignity and arouse strong resentment, and it is not to be undertaken lightly.
I wish the TSA would get wind of that last paragraph. Or at least, the lawyers for people who have been groped & assaulted.

So many people think "armed and dangerous" is one word...
The ruling says "armed and presently dangerous".
So there are 4 criteria which must be met before a stop & frisk is legal:
1) reasonable beliefs based on specific articulable facts
2) crime
3) armed
4) dangerous

The FBI says that criminals don't carry openly & very very rarely use holsters. Surely professionals keep up with research in their field, so officers know of those findings & understand that someone carrying openly is not a criminal. So no, it's not at all legal to stop someone carrying openly simply because they're carrying openly.

LEO's can (and will... and do) stop people for any cursory reason.
Doesn't mean it's legal. And since it's generally not, officers who do so are putting themselves & their departments at legal risk. It's so much better to follow the law.

Another point y'all seem to have ignored: 'Disorderly Conduct - Failure to Obey'
Again from Terry, quoting Justice White:
There is nothing in the Constitution which prevents a policeman from addressing questions to anyone on the streets. Absent special circumstances, the person approached may not be detained or frisked but may refuse to cooperate and go on his way...
the person stopped is not obliged to answer, answers may not be compelled, and refusal to answer furnishes no basis for an arrest...

Also, I found GA statute 16-11-39 talking about disorderly conduct:
(a) A person commits the offense of disorderly conduct when such person commits any of the following:
(1) Acts in a violent or tumultuous manner toward another person whereby such person is placed in reasonable fear of the safety of such person's life, limb, or health;
(2) Acts in a violent or tumultuous manner toward another person whereby the property of such person is placed in danger of being damaged or destroyed;
(3) Without provocation, uses to or of another person in such other person's presence, opprobrious or abusive words which by their very utterance tend to incite to an immediate breach of the peace, that is to say, words which as a matter of common knowledge and under ordinary circumstances will, when used to or of another person in such other person's presence, naturally tend to provoke violent resentment, that is, words commonly called "fighting words"; or
(4) Without provocation, uses obscene and vulgar or profane language in the presence of or by telephone to a person under the age of 14 years which threatens an immediate breach of the peace.
Explain, please, where ignoring or refusing a request to speak with someone shows up in that list of actions?

The only listing for "failure to obey" [a.k.a. contempt of cop] is under the UCMJ section.
Explain, please, where that concept applies to regular citizens dealing with LEO?

Last edited:

dosovm

Understood: I did fine but need to keep polishing my people skills to be a better

"why am I being detained?" and "be over polite" were a lot of help.
Hopefully the next time never comes but if it does, I will be more professional.

dosovm

ohh, and this forum is great and hopefully everyone knows how much one learns from all the responses. Both, "why you are in the wrong" and "you did fine but do this .."

Sonora Rebel

Oh horrors! Now I'm a TROLL! Noooooo... say it ain't so. Read it and weep all ye anti-authoritarian armchair lawyers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_cop I love all of your personal projections tho. You sound exactly like anti-gunners on 'what people do... will or will not do'.

It doesn't matter what you THINK... it is what it is. Other factors for a stop are time of day, area, dress and deportment. 'Don't like cops... don't attract their attention. Cops are predatory in nature... always looking.

The way this event should have gone down would have been: 'Hey... c'mere. I see you're carrying. Do you have a license/permit for that?' Yessir... right here (show it). 'Ok... thanks... have a nice day.' It's all about attitude.

Oh... do DC-FTO's stand up in court? Yes they do. I remember one where a cop arrested the boyfriend of some womans dughter. All 3 were in a bar. The cop walked in... grabbed the guy (on a warrant) and took him outside to wait for the wagon. Momma broke bad on the corner and refused to 'get her fat ass back in the bar' when so directed. She got locked up too. In court... she whined and complained how this 'punk' 'told me to get my fat ass back in the bar'! Judge said: 'If you'd gotten your fat ass back in the bar you wouldn't be here now.' Guilty! $50. Pay the clerk. 'I don't have $50. Judge: 'Bailiff... put her in the lock up.' Fat ass... how long do i have to stay in that lock up? Judge: 'Til you come up with 50 bucks. Next case...

'Cop tells you to do something and you don't... you'll do so at your own peril. 'Doesn't matter if it's legal or not. All kinds of misuse of authority under color of law... but a cop is still a cop. Think not? Your day will come.