• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got Stopped Open Carrying Today by an Atlanta PD Officer

MyWifeSaidYes

In MOST instances it's a good idea, but I can't find any laws that require you to be polite, respectful or courteous to the police.

When a LEO is asking for something they have no legal basis to request, or you have no legal duty to provide, you can say "No." or you can tell them to pound sand up their ***.

If they are polite and respectful, I would have gone with "No." Wave me over 'cause you are too full of doughnuts to get up off your butt...

The OP did good.

Fallschirjmäger

Like a Boss
[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=1n1BHJs5V5c[/video]
I'm a bit enamored over this one, since I know Ed Stone.
[video=youtube;qHK8yLjd5-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qHK8yLjd5-c[/video]

Poor Officer Friendly, ... I mean Fortner, he's so flustered he doesn't know What to do.

Last edited:

hotrod

'Cop tells you to do something and you don't... you'll do so at your own peril. 'Doesn't matter if it's legal or not. All kinds of misuse of authority under color of law... but a cop is still a cop. Think not? Your day will come.[/QUOTE]

That is why websites, such as this and others, exist. We can find the bad weeds, such as yourself, and prune them from our midst. I would love to come to your jurisdiction, if it is somewhere other than your mind, and give you the opportunity to "...misuse of authority under the color of law..." with me. I would enjoy a little armchair lawyer activity.

ManInBlack

If nothing else, Sonora Rebel is providing an excellent lesson on why we should always carry audio/visual recorders: breaking the law is accepted by many in the law enforcement community, and rather than do their duty by arresting the bad apples, or at least condemning them, their colleagues simply have a good laugh at the citizens' expense.

This is why intelligent people teach their children to fear the police. Sad, but true.

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

I have a vision of little portly dudes in shorts and sneakers (or flip flops) with their paunches hanging over their belt buckles playing badass on the internet.

At any rate, if you walk away from a cop 'with a wave' you are initiating the attempt to 'elude' button. 'Cop doesn't know if you're holding... or have a warrant or whatever.

Cops don't like that. State's Attorneys dont either. They're the guys who prep the initial charging document(s) based upon the arrest report(s). Cops are not required to know the finite points of 'law'. They can even have the latitude of mistakes. However... if your milquetoast ***** ***** *** get's in the jackpot on Friday... You won't see a Court Commissioner 'til Monday. Meaning... you're gonna spend the weekend in the joint. Depending upon where that may be... your age and appearance... you may no longer be a virgin when Monday comes. One of the lesser talked about points of curbstone justice.

Most of the commentary here is based on histronics worthy of a liberal anti... and plain ol' ignorance and dislike for authority. The squeals are comical.

Apparently 'truth'; never enters your mental scenarios. None of you work the ghettos... and few would have the stones to enter. Most apparently don't like the taste of reality. I'm done here. You've bored me long enough.

Fallschirjmäger

Awww, please don't leave; you're the most interesting internet bad-ass since Mr "Shark in a Sea of Crime" Sgt Yorkie... (or Scottie, I can never keep those yappy little toy-breeds apart.)

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

BRTky.jpg

Baked on Grease

PPM, if I weren't already married I might have proposed to you. Absolute best response to a mall ninja ever, the wife and I had a good laugh at that.

Btw Sonora Rebel, the reason most of us have never been nor want to go to a ghetto is the locations of those ghettos... cities and states that deny people the Right to Carry. It's not the people living there we take issue with, it's the people in charge we take issue with.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

half_life1052

Oh horrors! Now I'm a TROLL! Noooooo... say it ain't so. Read it and weep all ye anti-authoritarian armchair lawyers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_cop I love all of your personal projections tho. You sound exactly like anti-gunners on 'what people do... will or will not do'.

It doesn't matter what you THINK... it is what it is. Other factors for a stop are time of day, area, dress and deportment. 'Don't like cops... don't attract their attention. Cops are predatory in nature... always looking.

The way this event should have gone down would have been: 'Hey... c'mere. I see you're carrying. Do you have a license/permit for that?' Yessir... right here (show it). 'Ok... thanks... have a nice day.' It's all about attitude.

Oh... do DC-FTO's stand up in court? Yes they do. I remember one where a cop arrested the boyfriend of some womans dughter. All 3 were in a bar. The cop walked in... grabbed the guy (on a warrant) and took him outside to wait for the wagon. Momma broke bad on the corner and refused to 'get her fat ass back in the bar' when so directed. She got locked up too. In court... she whined and complained how this 'punk' 'told me to get my fat ass back in the bar'! Judge said: 'If you'd gotten your fat ass back in the bar you wouldn't be here now.' Guilty! $50. Pay the clerk. 'I don't have $50. Judge: 'Bailiff... put her in the lock up.' Fat ass... how long do i have to stay in that lock up? Judge: 'Til you come up with 50 bucks. Next case...

'Cop tells you to do something and you don't... you'll do so at your own peril. 'Doesn't matter if it's legal or not. All kinds of misuse of authority under color of law... but a cop is still a cop. Think not? Your day will come.

So what you are saying is that you "good ole boys" got it wired so we little people better be polite lessin' you have to get mad and do stuff to us. Is that right? You being the law and all, you have some kind of special pass that gets you out of legal trouble eh? Above the law? Extremism begets extremism. Your apparent contempt for your fellow citizens when coupled with your (alleged) position of authority has created the "contempt of cop" problem that you are poking at. I am so very glad that there are none like you in my home city (none that I have met anyways). As I learned in the military, the uniform gets my immediate respect. The man in it however needs to earn it from me though. I come into contact with LE on a near daily basis and am as respectful and polite to them as they are to me. Oh, and I have been Terry stopped in the last 6 months because my vehicle matched the description of the one driven by a shooter. I knew they had contrived a reason to "stop and identify" me but I was nice and polite even as I told them what I understood them to be doing. In conclusion mr officer sir, if you feel that a badge and gun give you the right to assault us little people, keep in mind that we have remedies for this. You have a gun. We do too. You have hand to hand/compliance/submission training. Some of us do too. You have the ability to arrest for felonies. Us citizens do too. Sounds like we are on even footing to me. It is a roll of the dice if you step over the line with some unknown citizen. You might find a determined man unwilling to submit to having his rights trampled. Food for thought Barney, food for thought.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Georgia requires a permit to carry. Regardless of the perception, it was a legitimate inquiry on the part of the LEO when observing the carry. It's no difference than showing a drivers license on demand...

Think about that again.

Are you saying cops can (and should) pull over random vehicles to verify a current driver's license? Because that's exactly what you are implying. After all, drivers are causing a helluva lot more carnage than gun carriers anyway.

ManInBlack

Think about that again.

Are you saying cops can (and should) pull over random vehicles to verify a current driver's license? Because that's exactly what you are implying. After all, drivers are causing a helluva lot more carnage than gun carriers anyway.

Of course, he completely ignored Delaware v. Prouse, which I posted above. It deals with that very question, and SCOTUS held that police may not stop vehicles to check for licenses unless there is reason to believe a person is driving without a license or if there is some suspicion of other crime.

2. Except where there is at least articulable and reasonable suspicion that a motorist is unlicensed or that an automobile is not registered, or that either the vehicle or an occupant is otherwise subject to seizure for violation of law, stopping an automobile and detaining the driver in order to check his driver's license and the registration of the automobile are unreasonable under the Fourth Amendment. Pp. 440 U. S. 653-663.

But remember, Sonora Rebel doesn't believe police should have to follow the law. We peons should shut up and gratefully accept their beneficent protection.

sudden valley gunner

I have a vision of little portly dudes in shorts and sneakers (or flip flops) with their paunches hanging over their belt buckles playing badass on the internet.

At any rate, if you walk away from a cop 'with a wave' you are initiating the attempt to 'elude' button. 'Cop doesn't know if you're holding... or have a warrant or whatever.

Cops don't like that. State's Attorneys dont either. They're the guys who prep the initial charging document(s) based upon the arrest report(s). Cops are not required to know the finite points of 'law'. They can even have the latitude of mistakes. However... if your milquetoast ***** ***** *** get's in the jackpot on Friday... You won't see a Court Commissioner 'til Monday. Meaning... you're gonna spend the weekend in the joint. Depending upon where that may be... your age and appearance... you may no longer be a virgin when Monday comes. One of the lesser talked about points of curbstone justice.

Most of the commentary here is based on histronics worthy of a liberal anti... and plain ol' ignorance and dislike for authority. The squeals are comical.

Apparently 'truth'; never enters your mental scenarios. None of you work the ghettos... and few would have the stones to enter. Most apparently don't like the taste of reality. I'm done here. You've bored me long enough.

Your vision is correct that I wear flip flops (haole speake, I call them slippahs) but I am not overwieght, only wear a belt because I openly carry a gun, and have walked right past officers wanting to talk to me so it is more incorrect than correct. I have had many encounters in my town. Certain officers now avoid me like the plague. One moved on to my friend to harass, I am going to do my best to have that officer fired. I am going to make an example of him to the city and to the public, so they know we can stand up against power tripping thugs.

I can care less what cops like or don't like, they are my employees and if they can't uphold the law and respect my fundamental rights they don't deserve to work for the public scrubbing the toilets at the local jail. So cops don't have to know the law but can run roughshod over the people going about their daily business. I have spent a day in the joint, I'd rather have the self esteem and dignity of standing up to cops than cowtowing to their jackbooted methods.

LOL I grew up in ghettos and on Reservations, thugs and crooks don't intimidate me, I understand the culture of respect and show respect. Cops are more scary they have the force of the state behind them. Truth has entered our mental scenarios, we don't like your truth and reject it and will work toward changing the culture of corruption and protection the street warriors in blue have.

Last edited:

DocWalker

Oh horrors! Now I'm a TROLL! Noooooo... say it ain't so. Read it and weep all ye anti-authoritarian armchair lawyers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt_of_cop I love all of your personal projections tho. You sound exactly like anti-gunners on 'what people do... will or will not do'.

It doesn't matter what you THINK... it is what it is. Other factors for a stop are time of day, area, dress and deportment. 'Don't like cops... don't attract their attention. Cops are predatory in nature... always looking.

The way this event should have gone down would have been: 'Hey... c'mere. I see you're carrying. Do you have a license/permit for that?' Yessir... right here (show it). 'Ok... thanks... have a nice day.' It's all about attitude.

Oh... do DC-FTO's stand up in court? Yes they do. I remember one where a cop arrested the boyfriend of some womans dughter. All 3 were in a bar. The cop walked in... grabbed the guy (on a warrant) and took him outside to wait for the wagon. Momma broke bad on the corner and refused to 'get her fat ass back in the bar' when so directed. She got locked up too. In court... she whined and complained how this 'punk' 'told me to get my fat ass back in the bar'! Judge said: 'If you'd gotten your fat ass back in the bar you wouldn't be here now.' Guilty! $50. Pay the clerk. 'I don't have $50. Judge: 'Bailiff... put her in the lock up.' Fat ass... how long do i have to stay in that lock up? Judge: 'Til you come up with 50 bucks. Next case...

'Cop tells you to do something and you don't... you'll do so at your own peril. 'Doesn't matter if it's legal or not. All kinds of misuse of authority under color of law... but a cop is still a cop. Think not? Your day will come.

We had a deputy sheriff in Elmore County think that way now he is a janitor somewhere. I was on the jury it was my first time on a jury and he thought I was on his side because I used to be a Corrections Officer. It took the Jury 5 minutes to decide he was wrong and that was because we watched the camera footage again or it would have only taken us 1 minute to determain the officer was wrong.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

you are initiating the attempt to 'elude' button. ... I'm done here. You've bored me long enough.
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" Initiating the Elludium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

bc.cruiser

I have enjoyed this thread. It has been educational and amusing. The downer: (horrors) I actually agree with and applaud MIB.:banana::banana:

OP, you done good.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
..................................^.............^.............^
Exemplifies exactly why OCDO exists and precisely why organizations like VCDL are so active.