Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: New guy here.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    7

    New guy here.

    Hi everyone, I am from Harlan County and I open carry my glock 20 10mm proudly everyday. Glad to be a new member of the forums.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Royalton, KY
    Posts
    59
    Welcome, these guys are some of the most informed you'll run into. They also provide a laugh from time to time so its always nice to load up the page for a read.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Comm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nicholasville, KY
    Posts
    135
    Welcome, and enjoy!

  4. #4
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cornett View Post
    Hi everyone, I am from Harlan County and I open carry my glock 20 10mm proudly everyday. Glad to be a new member of the forums.
    I enjoy posts like this. This guy comes and introduces himself. Not like most that their first (usually only) post is to ask questions already answered.

    I am glad you came to OCDO, if you have any questions (usually carry/firearm related) just ask. A lot of people on this forum is knowledgeable about anything firearm related, and most will be happy to share their knowledge with you.

    Welcome
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  5. #5
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Welcome to our wondrous sub-forum~ make yourself at home~ The smokers lounge is down the hall, on the left, you'll find refreshments in the fridge, Glockster mans the bar and soda fountain. Personal therapy and anger management can be found in the room to your right, with targets set up at 25, 50, 100, and 300yds. Here's your complimentary hug and muffin *offers both <3*
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    7
    There is some very informative reading in this forum, I can guarantee I will be a active member here, I love guns and am a firm believer in the 2nd A. I am a army vet so I feel its my duty to defend our constitutional rights.

  7. #7
    Regular Member hotrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Union, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cornett View Post
    There is some very informative reading in this forum, I can guarantee I will be a active member here, I love guns and am a firm believer in the 2nd A. I am a army vet so I feel its my duty to defend our constitutional rights.
    Michael, welcome to the forum. I want to thank you for your service and please feel free to ask any questions. Someone here will know the answer or will be able to direct you to the answer. Carry On!!
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

  8. #8
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    I second Hotrod's appreciate of your service; thank you for it, and your time spent in our armed services, and you deserve a second muffin for that~ ^^
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Saint Expeditus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    6
    I am new as well. I don't really open carry (the wife doesn't want to be hassled / embarrassed when we are out) but I have found this forum educational and entertaining.

  10. #10
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240
    I'd like to welcome BOTH of our 2 new memebrs to the boards here at OCDO. We work to try to provide everyone with the information that they need in a timely manner. Have fun and enjoy the OCDO forums to its full extent.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gravel Switch, KY
    Posts
    544
    Welcome to the boards.

  12. #12
    Regular Member KRM59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    256
    Welcome both of you glad to have you with us.
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

  13. #13
    Regular Member hotrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Union, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Expeditus View Post
    I am new as well. I don't really open carry (the wife doesn't want to be hassled / embarrassed when we are out) but I have found this forum educational and entertaining.
    My wife felt the same way. She believed it would cause problems when we were out, until the one day. We were out on a Saturday evening and had just left Dee Felice's in downtown Covington, Ky. As we cut across the street to the parking lot, and she was walking 20 paces in front of me, a young man ran across the street and asked her for money. It scared her because of how he came out of no where. I asked if there was something I could do for him, he saw me and bounced out of there. I don't think he saw my Kimber Pro Carry .45, but my wife appreciates my carrying now.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

  14. #14
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    My wife felt the same way. She believed it would cause problems when we were out, until the one day. We were out on a Saturday evening and had just left Dee Felice's in downtown Covington, Ky. As we cut across the street to the parking lot, and she was walking 20 paces in front of me, a young man ran across the street and asked her for money. It scared her because of how he came out of no where. I asked if there was something I could do for him, he saw me and bounced out of there. I don't think he saw my Kimber Pro Carry .45, but my wife appreciates my carrying now.
    It is a great thing when female companions agree with firearm usage.


    @Saint, don't worry about it. Most people don't even notice your firearm, then the next largest group is indifferent about you carrying (at least indifferent not to say/do anything) and the smallest two groups are the ones that are openly for/against you carrying.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    7
    hey 09jisaac, I see you live in Louisa, I do a lot of deer hunting up there, I may run into you sometime this fall.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Royalton, KY
    Posts
    59
    Nice to see a vet around, Trying to join myself. Just need some upper body strength to manage the pushups lol.

  17. #17
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cornett View Post
    hey 09jisaac, I see you live in Louisa, I do a lot of deer hunting up there, I may run into you sometime this fall.
    Just let me know if you're ever around. I enjoy meeting like minded people.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    222
    Michael, welcome to the forums and I thank you for your service as well. Although I feel it is much our duty as civilians as yours as a soldier to protect and defend the Constitution. Far too many have lost sight of that.

    Saint, a warm welcome to you as well, the more the merrier. Also as has been stated, most people won't even notice and I even OC a shiny stainless steel PT92 and can still say that. Honestly, from what I've gleaned from other forums, Kentucky is absolutely one of the best states to OC in. Firearms have just been so ingrained into our culture, that 99% don't care or are respectful enough to keep their opinions to themselves. But regardless, your mode of carry is irrelevant, just as long as you carry.

  19. #19
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Expeditus View Post
    I am new as well. I don't really open carry (the wife doesn't want to be hassled / embarrassed when we are out) but I have found this forum educational and entertaining.
    My wife bought me a Glock .40 and a Serpa holster for valentines day a couple of years back. I had done very little OC prior to this mainly because all I owned at the time was a .22 revolver (too small for self defense, plus it is a single action) and a 357 magnum six shooter (damn good for self defense but a beast to carry) Anyhow, for about a week I carried my new Glock, but as time went on I didnt carry as much in fear that she really didnt want me to carry for the same reasons as your wife. Then one day we were about to leave the house to go to the store (I was walking out the front door without my gun) and she looked at me and said "I didnt buy that damn gun and holster for it to sit on your night stand." Music to my ears. She said she feels safer when we are out and about and I am armed. She said she never really had much to do with firearms prior to meeting me, but now she sees the great benefits in always having one near by. So maybe your wife will come around like mine did.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Saint Expeditus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    My wife bought me a Glock .40 and a Serpa holster for valentines day a couple of years back. I had done very little OC prior to this mainly because all I owned at the time was a .22 revolver (too small for self defense, plus it is a single action) and a 357 magnum six shooter (damn good for self defense but a beast to carry) Anyhow, for about a week I carried my new Glock, but as time went on I didnt carry as much in fear that she really didnt want me to carry for the same reasons as your wife. Then one day we were about to leave the house to go to the store (I was walking out the front door without my gun) and she looked at me and said "I didnt buy that damn gun and holster for it to sit on your night stand." Music to my ears. She said she feels safer when we are out and about and I am armed. She said she never really had much to do with firearms prior to meeting me, but now she sees the great benefits in always having one near by. So maybe your wife will come around like mine did.
    Oh, she is fine with me carrying concealed which I do as much as is practicable. As summer rolls around and concealing the not so compact HK USPc becomes more of a challenge, I have been thinking about open carry more seriously. There is also a part of me that thinks it is a right that needs to be exercised.

    She is pretty close to coming around on open carry.

    I appreciate everyone's warm welcome.
    Last edited by Saint Expeditus; 05-18-2012 at 09:06 PM.

  21. #21
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    If you are NOT carrying your firearm, then you are not being practical. You never know when the one time you need your gun will be, so it is prudent to be armed at all times. I've been in one situation when I was younger where I needed my gun and did not have it. Thank god I came out alive and I'm standing here today raising my children, but it could have been much worse. It is always practical to be armed. Remember: carrying a firearm is not supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting!

    I can carry a glock 20 or full size 1911 concealed under a t-shirt with my IWB holsters, and I am not a very large guy. I would recommend the comp-tac minatour IWB. It is the most comfortable and concealable IWB holster I have ever owned. The galco king-tuk is also a good choice. Never leave home without your firearm!

    I would also suggest having your wife read the armed citizen columns on the NRA's website. These true tales of self defense with firearms will make her more aware of the need to be armed at all times. Not to mention they are very interesting.

    Welcome to the forum, both of you!
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •