Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conversation with a thirty-something lady in a progressive sporting goods store

Conversation with a thirty-something lady in a progressive sporting goods store

I walked in, browsed, asked for help once, purchased an item, and finally, on my way out, a thirty-something lady, obvious in excellent condition, asked me:

Lady: Excuse me, but I have to ask you. Why are you carrying a gun?

Me: Self defense.

Lady: Against what?

Me: Bad guys.

Lady: What bad guys?

(At this point, it was obvious she was a libtard, probably the manager, and trying to show me up so as to win "brilliance" points with her even more stupid employees)

Me: The bad guys responsible for more than thirty murders, several hundred assaults, and a string of hold-ups over the last twelve months here in Colorado Springs. Those bad guys.

Lady: (blinks, but recovers well) And how do you recognize these "bad guys?"

Me: They're the ones committing murder assaults, and robberies.

Lady: Oh, so you can only recognize them when they're actually breaking the law.

Me: That's right.

Lady: Why can't you head them off at the pass?

Me: You mean before they've done anything illegal?

Lady: Yes.

Me: Didn't you ever see the movie, Minority Report?

Lady: Yes.

Me: Well...?

Lady: Ok, that's probably a bit far-fetched, isn't it.

Me: Just a bit!

Lady: Well, no "bad guys" have ever given me trouble, so I don't believe in guns.

Me: They do.

Lady: What?

Me: The bad guys. They believe in guns. What do you think they use to commit murder, assaults, and robberies?

Lady: Well, I still don't believe in guns.

Me: Then you believe in being a victim.

(Boy! Did this get her heckles up!)

Lady: I do NOT believe in being a victim!

Me: Then don't be a victim. Do something about it.

Lady: Like what?

Me: Learn to shoot and carry a firearm, so you won't be a victim when the bad guys come to murder or assault you, or rob your store.

Lady: (crickets chirping)

Me: Have a nice day!

At that point I left. I'll probably go back after a month to see if the clue bird landed on her shoulder.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. They both protect the rest, but only if you exercise them.

Nothing in this post is to be misconstrued as "advice" of any kind. It is merely my opinion.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    "Lady: Well, no "bad guys" have ever given me trouble, so I don't believe in guns."

You: "Hmm, don't believe in guns, eh? Well I can assure you they exist."

Ask her what's in my sig then watch her squirm and wiggle until she comes up with something that escapes the obvious answer.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

You're much better at thinking on your feet than I am, since9.

I prefer my sig, makes a great "sound bite" that's easy to remember.

O2
    When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
    They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
    Zero failures comes at infinite cost.

I would have liked to ask her this:

So if you are being a victim of a home invasion/rape at 0300hrs and your attacker gets sloppy and you managed to get to a phone and call the police are you going to tell them to come right away but leave their guns behind because you "don’t believe in guns?"
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by O2HeN2 View Post
    You're much better at thinking on your feet than I am, since9.
    When I was younger, my parents had a less flattering term for it. They called it being a wise-ass.

I prefer my sig, makes a great "sound bite" that's easy to remember.
    That puts a new spin on taking a bite out of crime!
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. They both protect the rest, but only if you exercise them.

Nothing in this post is to be misconstrued as "advice" of any kind. It is merely my opinion.

she doesn't believe in guns? They do exist ... you should have showed her yours...see, they exist!
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 05-26-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdr_iceman71 View Post
    So if you are being a victim of a home invasion/rape at 0300hrs and your attacker gets sloppy and you managed to get to a phone and call the police are you going to tell them to come right away but leave their guns behind because you "don’t believe in guns?"
    Absolutely brilliant! I have to remember this one.

well handled SINCE9
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

I always liked the insurance response. I've never been in an accident, but I still insure my car. My house has never burned down, but I still insure my house. Don't you?

Well spoken. Direct, but polite and to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    When I was younger, my parents had a less flattering term for it. They called it being a wise-ass.
    For me, it was always being called smart ass. Even at a young age (7th grade?), I developed the instant comeback of: "That's better than being a dumb ass like you..."

--
    Peace. ~G
    Carry weapon: SA XDm .40 SC + 11rd Ranger SXT 180gr

If she doesn't believe in guns, why does she sell (assumption on my part) them?

If the bad guys give her trouble, who's she gonna call...and why?

Knowing the crime statistics of the area you're in is a great idea.

"I don't believe in guns." "Well, the bad guys do." Classic.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

"I hope you never need one, but if you do, you will be a victim without one."

since9 this is great. I've played your encounter over and over in my head. I hope that if I have a similar encounter I will be able to handle it as well as you did.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Ohh how much fun. When someone says the words, "believe in", they can mean one of two things.
    The first is very mundane, they believe that thing exists, or does not exists.
    The second is far more philosophical, they do not support a thing.

I will always call someone out for using this kind of rhetoric.
    A simple, what do you mean when you say you do not believe in guns? Guns do exist so you must have a rather interesting reason to say that.

Then let them rip.

Give them the stage, allow them all the rope they need to illustrate an absurd position. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than politely disassembling an irrational position.

What she doesn't believe in is very specific. Ultimately she believes in guns for police, she believes in guns for the military, and she believes in guns in the movies more than she believes in guns for the common man to self determine there own existence.
    Last edited by Xulld; 06-15-2012 at 10:52 AM.

when she commented that bad guys don't bother her, i might have asked about her (their) loss prevention, how much they have, and whats the policy on stops... If they say they have "X" amount, then note that bad guys do in fact "bother her", if she says that don't stop, then I would note that she has indeed chosen to be a victim too.

- I know we don't shoot shoplifters, but the theory/formula is still similar enough that it translates correctly.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

I BELIEVE if the day ever comes when a murderer, rapist, or home invader presents in her face -
    she will also refuse to BELIEVE that it is happening to her - BUT.......she will begin to BELIEVE in guns, and WISH that she had a one in each of her hands.

I've had it with this anti-tard "Why are you carrying a gun ?" B.S. I refuse to honor such a confrontational inquiry with the dignity of a good faith response. Such an inquiry is an attempt to interrogate. Anti's like her KNOW very well why we carry a gun. She just doesn't approve of our choice to do so. The likes of such people are not entitled to ANY explanation as to our reason for carrying a gun. I CHOOSE TO - period !

Such EXTREMIST self-righteous sophistry.
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 06-16-2012 at 08:41 PM.

I like how you handled the conversation. The only thing different that I would have added us that I wouldn't have called her a victim but that's just me.

If I was clever enough (and I never am) I might have said something a little different to her comment about not believing in guns. She obviously believes in them but doesn't either doesn't believe in owning or carrying which are very different thoughts than not believing in guns at all.

========================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching Classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    I've had it with this anti-tard "Why are you carrying a gun ?" B.S. I refuse to honor such a confrontational inquiry with the dignity of a good faith response.
    So what do you say when asked? So you answer or just walk away. Curious

========================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching Classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Columbia, in the Peoples Republic of Murderland
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Lady: Well, no "bad guys" have ever given me trouble, so I don't believe in guns.

By that same logic, no bad guys live in Baltimore, DC, Atlanta, Richmond or NYC--because I've been to all those cities, and never been robbed, raped, assaulted or murdered.

You can't fix stupid...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

During the 5 years that I've openly carried in Colorado Springs I've never been asked - " Why do you carry a gun?"- and I've open carried pretty extensively. I've never been confronted by any inquiring mind other than the older fellow that recently rather dryly remarked that the contents of my holster looked " like a gun" - to which I responded ....." I sure hope so." He then asked if I was "worried?" - to which I replied ..."Nope." That was the extent of that inquiry.

My response if I am ever asked THAT particular question in a chastising, or condescending manner will be that I CHOOSE to carry a gun just as I CHOOSE to carry a spare tire in my vehicle, pay insurance premiums, and respond to folks who respect my RIGHT to make that choice.

I'll not suffer having my chain yanked, or my forward progress interrupted by some annoying jerk. That pretty much sums up my somewhat brusque disposition regarding these ANTI - Banty roosters & hens. Someone once said that a PICTURE is sometimes worth a thousand words. I try to present a "snap-shot" consistent with the the manner in which I have just explained myself.
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 06-16-2012 at 08:32 PM.
    "Extremism ALWAYS brings about its own destruction " ( Sir Edmund Burke)

Jim Sherwood

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer
    You can't fix stupid.

Actually, THAT makes a pretty good reply!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Centurion
    None so blind as those with eyes who choose not to see!

I really don't understand that phrase: "I don't believe in guns". It's not like we're talking religion or ghosts or something, guns are 100% known to actually exist, the speaker obviously isn't arguing guns do not exist. If the person means they don't believe in using guns to defend themselves, they should say that. Of course, that clarity would begin to clear up their foggy mind, something they are desperately afraid of. They would also have to acknowledge that it would be wrong for another person, especially a cop, to protect them with a firearm. If it's wrong for them to defend their life with a firearm, how can it be right to pay someone else to defend them with one?
    If the person then acknowledges that, saying they are a pacifist and don't believe in self-defense because human life is too valuable, they actually profess very little value to human life, especially their own. They value their own life so little, they take no steps to protect it. They will give up their life to the first person who comes along and tries to take it and they think you should too. They are professing the rule of the strong over the weak, the rule of the dishonest over the honest, the rule of the criminal over the citizen, that old notion that might makes right. Individual rights are unimportant, but the will of the majority is everything. Anytime someone says they are a pacifist, they say all these things.
    Of course, someone will say they're a pacifist but them claim to support individual rights, but that is a contradiction. The most basic right is the right to live, but they deny it. It cannot be wrong to initiate lethal force and also wrong to use lethal force in response to lethal force. All the reasons why initiating lethal force is wrong are all the reasons why it is wrong not to use lethal force in response. Human life is incredibly valuable, but not every life is valued equally. Those who initiate lethal force have destroyed all of their own value and have attempted to unjustly destroy someone else's. Successful force in response ensures that the innocent person isn't destroyed, only the initiator of force, who already destroyed all of their value; this is justice.
    Back to the original poster, you had a great conversation with that lady. You have begun to expose a contradiction in her code of ethics that can only exist as long as it remains clouded. She should be thankful that you have helped to clear her mind, but she probably felt anger. Anger, because she is terribly afraid of clearing up her mind and seeing the full realization of what it means to "not believe in guns".

There are an unlimited number of matter of fact responses to one of these "sheep blats" .

"Why are you carrying a gun ?" ( They already KNOW WHY you carry a gun - They are just setting the OC'er up for an interrogatory during which they hope to FRAME THE ISSUE.)

ANSWERS:

"For the same reason that YOU and every soldier at Ft Hood should be carrying a gun.)

"Because the Colorado Springs police Department refuses to dispatch a patrol officer to come live with me."

"Because there is a segment of the local population that has opted to rob and murder people like YOU and me rather than get a job."

RETORT - "Well ! I"ve never been robbed !"

RESPONSE - "Well , I suspect that you haven't been murdered YET either."

The possibilities are endless. We just must NEVER allow these twerps to frame the issue, or place us on the defensive. THEY are the aberration in the armed citizenry controversy that THEY elect to promulgate.

I will gladly have a conversation with any respectful person who is genuinely seeking information regarding Colorado law on this subject, but I will not be cornered for the purpose of abuse in public by one of these blooming idiots.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast