• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conversation with a thirty-something lady in a progressive sporting goods store

eye95

Whether or not a request for a cite is reasonable would depend on what one means by "defensive display." If one is saying that OC is the defensive display, I'd agree that no cite is required. This site IS the cite. If by "defensive display" one is referring to drawing the firearm, then contending that that is lawful definitely requires a citation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

since9

Campaign Veteran
since9 this is great. I've played your encounter over and over in my head. I hope that if I have a similar encounter I will be able to handle it as well as you did.

Thanks, Beau, and all the rest. I know I haven't been around here much over the last year, a trend I hope to reverse. In the meantime, I'm reading through the answers.

I did go back to the store this summer, with my son. The lady wasn't there, but the manager was, and turns out he's a huge 2A supporter. The lady, as it turns out, is the owner. The store carries no firearms. Just camping, ski, and other outdoor gear.

Turns out my comments really sent the owner for a loop. She wasn't angry so much as she was flustered. The manager overheard the entire exchange, and said that after about an hour, the owner asked the manager if he thought it would be a good idea to put up a "No Firearms" sign. The manager said something along the lines of "Why? It won't stop the bad guys. All it will do is disarm the good guys. They're not causing you any trouble, and they may just save you some trouble, especially if by OCing they deter a criminal from robbing us."

He related that after giving it some thought, the owner agreed it was best not to put up the signs. He also stated that she "still doesn't believe in guns," so as an employee he's not allowed to carry.

While I don't agree with the decision, I do understand it, as employees are legal agents of their employers. As such, the employers can be held legally responsible for the actions of their employees. If an employee shoots a robber, the family can sue the store and its owner. On the other hand, if a customer shoots a would-be robber dead, they can't go after the store for "allowing" the customer to carry, as State Law is what "allows" the customer to carry. That's something Walmart and most other stores have figured out. Unfortunately, there's a lot of store owners out there who don't get it.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Ok, to respond to a few of the posts:

I can. You draw your gun, the BG sees what you're doing and takes off running. Since he then ceases to be a threat, you no longer have the right to use deadly force. I imagine this happens a lot (we see it mentioned in every issue of American Riflemen's Armed Citizen section).

Exactly, and it's precisely why the deterrent effect of a drawn firearm should never be discounted. A while back, I came up with a similar Threat Decision Matrix (apologies if the image is too large):

The #2 criteria above is the most difficult to teach and to adopt. I am frequently amazed by people who make outlandish statements such as, "If someone broke into my home, I'd blow them away".

Conversations with friends of mine who are/have been police officers and sheriff's deputies have gone something like this:
- If you cannot see whether or not they're armed, you must assume they are. They've already proven criminal intent by breaking into your home.
- If someone is armed, no one will fault you for blowing them away, as they can turn and get a mortal (deadly) shot off at you before you have time to react.

Most members of law enforcement are under general orders to provide a reasonable challenge to an armed individual who has demonstrated criminal intent (brandishing, breaking and entering). Homeowners are under no such restrictions, particularly as police are better equipped (flashlights) and trained (decision matrix, weeks of hands-on scenarios, etc.).

Thus, while I don't advocate "If they're in my home, I'll blow them away," I'm only a single pull of the trigger away from doing so.

Hold the BGs at bay???

No. If I ever draw, I am going to dispense with the threat. AFTER I am certain that the BGs have been stopped, I will call the police.

One should never draw without the intent to fire. It could happen that I wouldn't fire. (I couldn't imagine the circumstances.) But not firing will never be my intent. Not firing is, at most, a fall-back position, when (miraculously) I have had sufficient time to change my mind and follow another course of action.

As per all of the above, I respectfully disagree. If you can't imagine the circumstances, here's one: Back in college, a drunk neighbor (one floor above us) entered our apartment and promptly crashed on the floor. Amazingly, his key fit our lock. That does happen. I once hopped into "my" car, pulled it out of the parking spot, then stopped, as something was wrong. It wasn't my car! I pulled it back into the parking spot and found my own car one row over. Here's another scenario: The police execute a no-knock warrant at the wrong address -- yours. There are 14 of them and one of you. How you respond will determine whether you live or die. Here's a third scenario: You think you wife, son, or daughter is away, as in visiting her mother, or at college. They come home at some odd hour of the night and...

We could probably play "what-if" all night long, but the point is, there are occasions when uninvited intruders or unexpected visitors may find themselves inside your home. They're not criminals. They don't want to steal anything from you, and they intend you no harm. They're probably friends, family, or a neighbor. Are you just going to "blow them away" because they crossed some line you drew in the sand?

You don't believe in guns? Well clearly this thing on my hip is an apparition, so I'm not sure what we're talking about at this point. Take it easy!

Good one! I thought of saying something like, "What gun?" to which she'd point and say, "That gun!" at which point I'd say, "I thought you said you don't believe in guns?" I may be a smart-ass, but I try not to be, and I'm not as fast thinking on my feet as it appears. I've had a long time to think about the various responses, and a TON of practice (as in 25+ years) here and on similar forums.

When people ask me why I carry, I often say, "Because a firearm is like a fire extinguisher -- by the time you know you need one, it's too late to go get it." Only once has someone asked me, "Then why don't you carry a fire extinguisher?" My reply? "I would if it were as compact and easy to carry as a pistol."

While the analogy is good, there are some key differences. First, fires do not usually progress from detectable to deadly in less than a second. There's usually sufficient time to retrieve and use a fire extinguisher. Also, the mere presence of a fire extinguisher has zero deterrent value against a fire! You can't exactly point a fire extinguisher at a fire and tell it to "FREEZE!"

To the ones who ask, "What are you afraid of?" I respond, "I'm afraid I won't be able to protect my family or myself from evil people who are younger, stronger, faster, or more numerous than I am."

Good point. When I was younger, I was indestructible and able to defend myself against a college football player who outweighed me by 100 lbs. These days, not so much.

I deal with people almost every day who believe the only people who should have guns are the police and the military. Why do they believe this, you ask? Simply because they were, for the most part, raised in a country where only the police and military have firearms.

As retired military, I do have some bias along those lines, but I've known many non-military, non-LEO folks who're just as capable, if not more capable, of properly handling firearms as members of the military or LEOs.

Being married to a very delightful Chinese lady for almost five years now, I have gained some insight into what the anti crowd is trying to do in this country. With a disarmed citizenry, you no longer have a need for free elections, you no longer need to answer to the people, and there is not one single thing they can do about it.

So, does she carry? Or is she more traditional?

If you think about it, we already have informants, LEAs that operate without adequate oversight or accountability, and politicians who would, given the chance, seize power on a permanent basis.

That's always been the case throughout history, except when politicians are fully aware they serve, not rule, and do so only at the mercy of the people whom they serve. When politicians forget this, it's time to give them the boot.

The only piece of the puzzle that does not yet fit is the fact that the American citizenry is still fairly well-armed.

Agreed. Sooner or later, it'll come to one of three things:
- Americans will replace the current jerks in government with those who respect the Constitution. If they refuse and try to remain in power by force, then...
- Americans will lay down their arms
- Americans will be up in arms

This is hypothetical, but...

Lady: Why do you carry a gun?
OC'er: It's OK, I'm a bodyguard.
Lady: Oh, ok.
Lady, looking around.: Whose bodyguard?
OC'er: Mine. But it's still OK. I mow my own lawn, too.

Awesome! I'll bet the pay rate is good, too. :)

eye95

I would never have drawn on the drunk on the floor. So no need to make a decision to fire/not fire.

When I draw, I will have already made the decision to fire. A small miracle in the tiny interval between starting the draw and pulling the trigger could (theoretically) change my mind.

I will have three states: 1. Situationally aware. 2. Potential threat detected. Ready to draw, hand on firearm, still holstered. Evaluating threat. 3. Imminent threat. Self-defense mode, gun drawn, threat/target identified, three shots fired at identified threat/target. Reevaluate.

papa bear

Thanks, Beau, and all the rest. I know I haven't been around here much over the last year, a trend I hope to reverse. In the meantime, I'm reading through the answers.

I did go back to the store this summer, with my son. The lady wasn't there, but the manager was, and turns out he's a huge 2A supporter. The lady, as it turns out, is the owner. The store carries no firearms. Just camping, ski, and other outdoor gear.

Turns out my comments really sent the owner for a loop. She wasn't angry so much as she was flustered. The manager overheard the entire exchange, and said that after about an hour, the owner asked the manager if he thought it would be a good idea to put up a "No Firearms" sign. The manager said something along the lines of "Why? It won't stop the bad guys. All it will do is disarm the good guys. They're not causing you any trouble, and they may just save you some trouble, especially if by OCing they deter a criminal from robbing us."

He related that after giving it some thought, the owner agreed it was best not to put up the signs. He also stated that she "still doesn't believe in guns," so as an employee he's not allowed to carry.

While I don't agree with the decision, I do understand it, as employees are legal agents of their employers. As such, the employers can be held legally responsible for the actions of their employees. If an employee shoots a robber, the family can sue the store and its owner. On the other hand, if a customer shoots a would-be robber dead, they can't go after the store for "allowing" the customer to carry, as State Law is what "allows" the customer to carry. That's something Walmart and most other stores have figured out. Unfortunately, there's a lot of store owners out there who don't get it.

i would like to assure her that Guns really do exist. maybe also,they save lives everyday

PALO

I would never have drawn on the drunk on the floor. So no need to make a decision to fire/not fire.

When I draw, I will have already made the decision to fire. A small miracle in the tiny interval between starting the draw and pulling the trigger could (theoretically) change my mind.

I will have three states: 1. Situationally aware. 2. Potential threat detected. Ready to draw, hand on firearm, still holstered. Evaluating threat. 3. Imminent threat. Self-defense mode, gun drawn, threat/target identified, three shots fired at identified threat/target. Reevaluate.

I can respect these principles you abide by.

However, recognize (at least in WA), you can (and ime MANY "civilians " do so) draw your gun, preferably to indoor ready not pointed at the suspect, before approaching a suspect in certain circ's. You don't need imminence. You are allowed to "get the drop" on potentially violent felons, with the undersdtanding that you cannot fire at them IF they run away. if they run at you, they are evidencing intent to disarm you and use your gun against you, so make sure they KNOW you are drawing down on them "I have a gun in my hands and..."

I've responded to DOZENS of such incidents where civilians (so to speak) approached burglars to outbuildings, car prowlers, auto thieves, bombing suspects etc. with gun drawn and in many many cases held them at gunpoint for police arrival. THe cops and the prosecutors (here) love that stuff. Totally ok. .

I mentioned this in another thread and a few people were horrified, but it is totally legal to get the drop when approaching a felon committing such a crime in progress. You don't have to fight at the same level he does. Again, if he runs to escape, let him go. If he submits, it is also ok to threaten to shoot him if he moves, etc. as a ruse to get him to wait for police (Who should be on their way. you did call 911 before exiting the house of course). and fwiw, I have had cases where the perp called shenanigans on that threat and got up and went their merry way. groovy. But a substantial # won't want to test you and will stay pending police arrival

As for three shots, then evaluate. If you want to hold yourself to that higher standard, I respect that, but for most, I would recommend shooting until the threat is clearly over If you shoot three times and he drops the gun and has his hands at his side, or something ... you stop shooting, obviously. But stopping, as a rule (instead of when case facts demand it) after three shots in many circs just give them opportunity to get more lead downrange at you while you "evaluate". god knows a substantial # of people survive (and keep on fighting even if they don't ultimately survive) even three well placed shots.

cheers

since9

Campaign Veteran
As for three shots, then evaluate. If you want to hold yourself to that higher standard, I respect that, but for most, I would recommend shooting until the threat is clearly over.

In my mind, both of these apply. As for the three shots, it's standard training for military: "two to the heard, one to the head." Evaluation is ongoing, but it's unlikely that if the first shot dropped the perp I'd be able to stop before firing the second shot.