• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Photo ID with a CPL to OC on a bus?

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Everyone will have his or her own answer as what to do or not to do. Each individual has a choice and I say you, as a individual, make the right choice you seem fit. I will keep on keeping on and make it to Seattle with no delays. That is my right and just because I choose to cooperate, does not mean I do not nor I ever will stand up for my rights. I fought for all of our rights just as our fore fathers did and I will continue to, but I will be smart about it. Sometimes people take things further than they need to go, and sometimes you just have too. We just need to know the right time to do it. Either way, it is and always will be your choice as to what to do in any situation.

Your post is wordy, but doesnt really say much.
I will tell you this...

More likely than not,,, when you stand up for your rights and refuse to partake in a concensual encounter with the police,
you will be left alone, to go about your lawful business, without delay...

More likely than not,,, when you give in to unwarrented demands to produce ID, the cop will then want to take your gun,
for officer safety,,, then the cop will run your ID, to see if he can find wants or warrents for your arrest,,,
then the cop will run your gun serial numbers, to make sure it is not stolen, adding up to quite a delay...

But wait,,, sometimes you will recieve a surprise gift,
A charge of loitering or disturbing the peace, there are other surprise gifts, they are to numerous to mention.

Ask others, here and Virginia, Wisconsin and michigan, or General topics or Hot topics.
Find the wisest, most learned and studied on the forums...
I am right!!!

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I like the ignore part on these forums.

Even more important than the ignore feature,,,
Are those posts where Its already been said....

I ignore nobody!
I read even the most mundane and idiodic posts.

Even the very most idiodic posts!

Do Not talk to the police!
Do Not give up your 4th amendment rights!
Do Not Train cops to violate the rights of others!

The ONLY time you need to give the cops your ID!!!
Is when you want to get out on BAIL!!!

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Everyone will have his or her own answer as what to do or not to do. Each individual has a choice and I say you, as a individual, make the right choice you seem fit. I will keep on keeping on and make it to Seattle with no delays. That is my right and just because I choose to cooperate, does not mean I do not nor I ever will stand up for my rights. I fought for all of our rights just as our fore fathers did and I will continue to, but I will be smart about it. Sometimes people take things further than they need to go, and sometimes you just have too. We just need to know the right time to do it. Either way, it is and always will be your choice as to what to do in any situation.

This is not meant as a personal attack but look at this from another viewpoint.

Yes we have choices to make, just like Benjamin Franklin's son decided to stay loyal to Britain.

I am glad you want to go to Seattle without delays, but why would you claim to have fought for our rights like our forefathers, meaning you joined an army and fought a political war in a foreign country, that had nothing to do with protecting our freedom or rights, but you don't want to be inconvenienced here at home?

Claiming to be "smart about it" infers that others who take a stand against all intrusions are being dumb about it. Who are you to decide what is taking things "further than they need", to protect liberty our founders told us we must be "Ever Vigilant".

Unless you are a government apologist, then to me your post makes no sense, except the part where everyone has there own choices to make. And appears to many of us where your loyalty lies.

rapgood

Rapgood! I absolutely disagree. I would argue, I get on the bus with a loaded OC sidearm...I am NOT committing a crime. (I do have a CPL, but let's just forget that for a bit). Common law states we are "innocent until proven guilty". WA state courts have held that LE may not run random sobriety stops (a crime) and they cannot stop you just for driving down the public road (a licensed activity, because of Article 1 Section 7 or the WA state constitution.

The officer that sees me step onto the bus or even just walking down the street with a loaded OC DOES NOT have any reasonable legal reason to require my ID or my CPL, anymore than he has if he makes a random stop to check if I have been drinking. He must have a reason...or he WILL get sued, at least by me he will.

I want to carry my reasoning out a bit farther...lets say I go to Applebees to have dinner. Applebees has as bar area, and a restaraunt area, let's say the restaraunt area is full, so we eat out dinner in the bar area. I now walk out of the restaraunt/bar, get in my car and drive away...all this has been observed by a LE officer...does that officer have a reason to stop me? Just because I have been in a bar???? The answer is the same answer, for the same reason as to getting onto a bus with an OC weapon...think about it. You are persumed legal, and innocent, unless there is some reasonable reason to suspect otherwise.

It appears to me that you misapprehend what constitutes RAS. The way I read the law is that when someone walks onto a bus with a loaded OC firearm, they have committed a crime. I think that your hypo of "just driving down the road" is inapposite to the scenario of carrying a loaded OC onto a bus. I agree that WA LEOs cannot run random sobriety tests. And I agree that, as you point out, they cannot stop you just for driving down the public road. Simply walking out of a bar, getting into an automobile, and then just driving down the road gives neither RAS or PC to detain. None of those things constitutes a crime. However, getting onto a bus with a loaded OC is a crime, thereby giving LEO justification to ask to see a CPL. But, perhaps you'll find a sympathetic judge.

Vitaeus

Looking to further discuss the general case, not the consensual information the OP gave to the LEO, I agree after you tell him it is loaded he can ask for the CPL. I wish to discuss the other choice of “I decline this consensual encounter”.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/wa-supreme-court/1329012.html State v. Duncan

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0529_0266_ZS.html Florida v. J.L.

“To justify a seizure on less than probable cause, Terry requires a reasonable, articulable suspicion, based on specific, objective facts, that the person seized has committed or is about to commit a crime.”   Terry, 392 U.S. at 21, 88 S.Ct. 1868.
Man has gun = FACT; gun is loaded = assumption since you cannot see bullets 9.41.010.

“A gun is always loaded” is certainly a good safety rule, but does it translate to a “fact” in a legal sense?

The State decision supports the Art 1, sect 7 being stronger than the possible “ civil infraction” for failure to provide a CPL, but the misdemeanor portion of 9.41.050 is more difficult to pin down, it hinges on whether the LEO by observation only can add firearm plus loaded plus vehicle to get enough for an “investigatory detention”.

I am not certain I understand “constructive” in a legal sense to decide whether the LEO can add “loaded” to the gun and the bus, but your opinion can and will vary.

I am finding the word fact used in more and more citations in regards to RAS and PC and am having trouble getting to a fact that is not demonstrable “true”, without intruding to ask or to seize.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
It appears to me that you misapprehend what constitutes RAS. The way I read the law is that when someone walks onto a bus with a loaded OC firearm, they have committed a crime. I think that your hypo of "just driving down the road" is inapposite to the scenario of carrying a loaded OC onto a bus. I agree that WA LEOs cannot run random sobriety tests. And I agree that, as you point out, they cannot stop you just for driving down the public road. Simply walking out of a bar, getting into an automobile, and then just driving down the road gives neither RAS or PC to detain. None of those things constitutes a crime. However, getting onto a bus with a loaded OC is a crime, thereby giving LEO justification to ask to see a CPL. But, perhaps you'll find a sympathetic judge.

Yet, there are several significant exceptions. That absent a consensual encounter whereas the OP gives up the information, the officer could not gain proper information.

Entering a vehicle with a loaded weapon is not always a crime (misdemeanor).

RCW 9.41.060

Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Members of Champion Arms are clearly exempt from the provision of placing a loaded firearm in a vehicle (i.e. bus) [9.41.060 (6)] when they are going to or from the range.
Employees of Champion Arms are clearly exempt from the provision of placing a loaded firearm in a vehicle when going to or from work.

While the officer may have RS, the officer does not have enough information. (without consensual information). Therefore, absent any other observed factual information, I would think the officer would not write a ticket, nor even have cause for an investigative detention.

hermannr

Getting on a bus with an openly carried firearm, loaded or not, is no more RAS than walking out of a bar and getting into a car. Could it be illegal? COULD the guy be drunk? Sure, but Article 1 Section 7 says that LE cannot go fishing without a reason. I still say, and I truly believe, LE stops me as I get on a bus (it'll never happen, there is no public transportation where I live...but) and demands my CPL, he will see my CPL, and he will also be talking to HIS boss, and MY lawyer, very shortly thereafter.

You see, where you go wrong is that getting onto a Bus with a loaded firearm only MAY BE a crime...you say "IS" a crime. Not so: With a CPL, or any of the exceptions in .060, it is NOT a crime.

My understanding of the law is this: If it CAN be a legal activity, it must be assumed it is a legal activity, unless there is some other circumstance that would point to it not being a legal activity.

Last edited:

Ajetpilot

It sounds to me that this is one that will have to be looked at in court if it ever comes to that. The accused will bring up the constitutionality issue, and the lower court will probably reject that argument. Then hopefully on appeal, the law will be found unconstitutional. But, someone will have to spend a lot more money than just paying the ticket in the first place. Sad.

Difdi

Getting on a bus with an openly carried firearm, loaded or not, is no more RAS than walking out of a bar and getting into a car. Could it be illegal? COULD the guy be drunk? Sure, but Article 1 Section 7 says that LE cannot go fishing without a reason. I still say, and I truly believe, LE stops me as I get on a bus (it'll never happen, there is no public transportation where I live...but) and demands my CPL, he will see my CPL, and he will also be talking to HIS boss, and MY lawyer, very shortly thereafter.

You see, where you go wrong is that getting onto a Bus with a loaded firearm only MAY BE a crime...you say "IS" a crime. Not so: With a CPL, or any of the exceptions in .060, it is NOT a crime.

My understanding of the law is this: If it CAN be a legal activity, it must be assumed it is a legal activity, unless there is some other circumstance that would point to it not being a legal activity.

Ok, so a cop has no right or ability to demand to see your CPL. Fine. When he sees you board a bus, he will simply arrest you. Because he cannot tell whether you are exempted from the law, but he can see that you committed a crime. Your exemption will cause the charges to be dropped, but as your lawyer will inform you, you won't get far suing a police officer for enforcing the law as it is written.

A person walking out of a bar and getting into a car might not have been drinking. A guy who staggers out of a bar, falls down twice passing through the parking lot, pukes on the car next to his, and drives off weaving all over the road, however, presents RAS that he is driving drunk.

A guy walking around with an openly carried, holstered pistol on the street is presumed to be obeying the law. A guy who walks into a court room with a pistol on his hip had better be ready to demonstrate his exemption, or he is going to jail despite the fact that there are individuals who could do it legally.

Boarding a vehicle while armed does not create probable cause, since the exemption is a common one and you never know whether the gun is loaded or not. But it does create sufficient reasonable articulable suspicion for an officer to inquire about whether the gun is loaded and/or the bearer has a CPL. It is the officer's duty to investigate crimes and enforce the law. Boarding a vehicle while carrying loaded is a misdemeanor. The fact that there are exemptions does not negate the fact it is still a law.

sudden valley gunner

Ok, so a cop has no right or ability to demand to see your CPL. Fine. When he sees you board a bus, he will simply arrest you. Because he cannot tell whether you are exempted from the law, but he can see that you committed a crime. Your exemption will cause the charges to be dropped, but as your lawyer will inform you, you won't get far suing a police officer for enforcing the law as it is written.

A person walking out of a bar and getting into a car might not have been drinking. A guy who staggers out of a bar, falls down twice passing through the parking lot, pukes on the car next to his, and drives off weaving all over the road, however, presents RAS that he is driving drunk.

A guy walking around with an openly carried, holstered pistol on the street is presumed to be obeying the law. A guy who walks into a court room with a pistol on his hip had better be ready to demonstrate his exemption, or he is going to jail despite the fact that there are individuals who could do it legally.

Boarding a vehicle while armed does not create probable cause, since the exemption is a common one and you never know whether the gun is loaded or not. But it does create sufficient reasonable articulable suspicion for an officer to inquire about whether the gun is loaded and/or the bearer has a CPL. It is the officer's duty to investigate crimes and enforce the law. Boarding a vehicle while carrying loaded is a misdemeanor. The fact that there are exemptions does not negate the fact it is still a law.

Disagree, I OC on my motorcycle I need a CPL to do so, it does not create RAS, or in this state RS the officer simply cannot assume you are breaking the law, he needs 'facts' to back up his suspicion you are engaged in unlawful activity.

Read Terry carefully and read our state cases carefully the cop needs facts to back up his suspicions.

hermannr

It would be ok if some cop was so stupid as to arrest me for getting on a bus with a handgun...More money for me.

A bus and a courtroom are a little bit different...a courtroom is not legal under any circumstance, the exception is when that particular Judge grants an exemption, and it would be a one time only exemption.

An Open Carried handgun on a bus has a ton of exemption...you can start with a CPL exemption and move on to RCW 9.41.060..your reasoning if false. There is no reasonable suspician that a crime has been/is being committed just because someone got on the bus with an openly carried sidearm in a holster.

You missed the point with the guy in the bar...unfortunately it appears you only read what you want to.

Difdi

Yet, there are several significant exceptions. That absent a consensual encounter whereas the OP gives up the information, the officer could not gain proper information.

Which leaves the officer unable to check for an exemption, assuming you're correct, which leaves him having witnessed a misdemeanor being committed. Handcuffs time.

While the officer may have RS, the officer does not have enough information. (without consensual information). Therefore, absent any other observed factual information, I would think the officer would not write a ticket, nor even have cause for an investigative detention.

Reasonable suspicion is not enough for an arrest. I've never claimed it is. It also does not rise to the level of probable cause. But there is enough doubt for an officer to investigate whether a crime has in fact been committed, when he sees behavior happen in front of him that may be a crime. It's not illegal for you (or a hired locksmith) to pick the lock on your own door if you're locked out, but would you argue an officer has no RAS to wander over and ask a question or two if he sees someone working on a door with lockpicks?

Depending on the answers he gets, he may or may not continue to have RAS, he may or may not reach probable cause. But He can only act on the information he has available, and remember, loaded carry on a vehicle is a misdemeanor. This is why RAS is distinguished from PC; To acknowledge that there is a level of evidence that can trigger an investigation but is insufficient to haul someone down to the station to answer those questions. If it's true that seeing someone commit a crime does not generate any RAS that a crime has been committed, then it would be nearly impossible to ever prove probable cause, and nobody could ever be arrested.

There is a difference between RS and PC, but your argument seems to be equating the two.

Disagree, I OC on my motorcycle I need a CPL to do so, it does not create RAS, or in this state RS the officer simply cannot assume you are breaking the law, he needs 'facts' to back up his suspicion you are engaged in unlawful activity.

Read Terry carefully and read our state cases carefully the cop needs facts to back up his suspicions.

Terry is about suspicion a crime has been committed. It runs on the RS standard. But if an officer actually witnesses a crime being committed, that's probable cause. If there is some doubt as to whether a crime was actually committed, that drops the PC back down to RS. Without all those exemptions, it would indeed be probable cause to see you OC on a motorcycle. But because they exist, there is only RS, and only enough RS to investigate. By the standard you are implying, 99.99% of all arrests are false arrests; While I'll acknowledge the possibility, I find it unlikely that nobody has noticed before, if that is in fact the case.

Fact: It is a crime in this state to possess a loaded weapon in/on a vehicle.
Fact: You possess an openly carried, holstered firearm on a vehicle.
Suspicion: That weapon is loaded since it's silly to carry an unloaded weapon for self-defense.
Fact: The officer cannot see that you are exempted from the law.
Fact: The officer has witnessed a misdemeanor being committed.
Fact: The officer has a duty to enforce the law.

Outside of places like California, that sure sounds like a reasonable suspicion to me. So the officer investigates. He discovers you do have a CPL. He apologizes for taking up your time and lets you continue on your way.

Walking around loaded OC is legal. Walking around inside the secure area of a courthouse loaded OC is a crime, unless exempt. Being on school property loaded OC is a crime, unless exempt. Just like vehicular loaded carry is a crime, unless exempt.

It would be ok if some cop was so stupid as to arrest me for getting on a bus with a handgun...More money for me.

Providing you can actually get past qualified immunity, which is doubtful. Have you ever considered the possibility that your own viewpoint is an unreasonable one? That the reason you don't see RS in this discussion is that you are the abnormal one?

A bus and a courtroom are a little bit different...a courtroom is not legal under any circumstance, the exception is when that particular Judge grants an exemption, and it would be a one time only exemption.

A courtroom is not legal under any circumstances? You need to re-read the laws, particularly RCWs 9.41.050, 9.41.060 and 9.41.300. There are a fair number of people who can carry legally in a courtroom. If carry in a courtroom is not legal under any circumstances, then by the same standard of logic, doing so in a bus is not legal under any circumstances. But we both know that is false.

An Open Carried handgun on a bus has a ton of exemption...you can start with a CPL exemption and move on to RCW 9.41.060..your reasoning if false. There is no reasonable suspician that a crime has been/is being committed just because someone got on the bus with an openly carried sidearm in a holster.

So RCW 9.41.050 has effectively been abolished by 9.41.060? The fact that some people are exempted from a law repeals that law for everyone? You are quite mistaken. Violating 9.41.050 is a misdemeanor. Unless you have your CPL tattooed or taped to your forehead, it is not obvious from looking at you that you are exempt. But it is obvious that 9.41.050 specifies that loaded carry in a vehicle is a crime. The fact there are so many exemptions is why it is only reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed to see carry on a vehicle; Without those exemptions, it would be probable cause.

You missed the point with the guy in the bar...unfortunately it appears you only read what you want to.

Did I? Someone apparently got a little hysterical and typed that example VERY poorly. Since I didn't want to guess about unwritten meanings, I answered the example as it was written. Perhaps you are the one who doesn't read?

sudden valley gunner

There is a difference between RS and PC, but your argument seems to be equating the two.

Terry is about suspicion a crime has been committed. It runs on the RS standard. But if an officer actually witnesses a crime being committed, that's probable cause. If there is some doubt as to whether a crime was actually committed, that drops the PC back down to RS. Without all those exemptions, it would indeed be probable cause to see you OC on a motorcycle. But because they exist, there is only RS, and only enough RS to investigate. By the standard you are implying, 99.99% of all arrests are false arrests; While I'll acknowledge the possibility, I find it unlikely that nobody has noticed before, if that is in fact the case.

Fact: It is a crime in this state to possess a loaded weapon in/on a vehicle.
Fact: You possess an openly carried, holstered firearm on a vehicle.
Suspicion: That weapon is loaded since it's silly to carry an unloaded weapon for self-defense.
Fact: The officer cannot see that you are exempted from the law.
Fact: The officer has witnessed a misdemeanor being committed.
Fact: The officer has a duty to enforce the law.

Have you read Terry carefully have you read the posts carefully? You cannot just stop somebody on suspicion you need to to have articulable facts to back your suspicion up.

Your above quote misses a major point in your supposed facts. Officer may or may not have witnessed a misdemeanor, he doesn't have enough facts to back his suspicion up. The same way an officer cannot assume you are Driving on a suspended license, he has to have facts to back that suspicion up.

I am not confusing PC with RAS, and please for the love of the gods remember our state is more protective than the statist judges watered down version of detention in Terry.

These quotes are from State vs. Gatwood, but are quotes from other cases that made it to the Supreme court. It's a good case that shows mere suspicion and suspicious behavior alone is not justification for a "Terry stop" in our state.

Article I, section 7 of the Washington Constitution provides: "No
person shall be disturbed in his private affairs, or his home invaded, without
authority of law." It is well established that that "our Washington State
Constitution affords individuals greater protections against warrantless
searches than does the Fourth Amendment."
State v. Stroud, 106 Wn.2d 144, 148, 720 P.2d 436 (1986)

Pay close attention to the next quote.....italics mine

"Terry requires a reasonable, articulable suspicion, based on specific,
objective facts, that the person seized has committed or is about to commit a
crime
."
State v. Duncan, 146 Wn.2d 166, 172, 43 P.3d 513 (2002) (citing
Terry, 392 U.S. at 21).So assumptions just don't cut it, it is a crime to drive on a suspended license unless the officer has other facts to back up his suspicion you are Driving on a suspended license, looks up license plate, see's your license is suspended you are a male that fits the description on your license.....etc. He cannot just stop and check if you have your drivers license. I know first hand about that.

Last edited:

Difdi

These quotes are from State vs. Gatwood, but are quotes from other cases that made it to the Supreme court. It's a good case that shows mere suspicion and suspicious behavior alone is not justification for a "Terry stop" in our state.

So a police officer can never actually investigate whether a violation of RCW 9.41.050 has occurred, since he cannot ask questions and lacks probable cause. He cannot check for a CPL, and must assume one exists, even though the law states that loaded carry in a vehicle is a misdemeanor. That effectively repeals the entire law sine it's completely unenforceable unless the carrier in question confesses to violating it. Good to know, assuming you are actually correct.

Terry, 392 U.S. at 21).So assumptions just don't cut it, it is a crime to drive on a suspended license unless the officer has other facts to back up his suspicion you are Driving on a suspended license, looks up license plate, see's your license is suspended you are a male that fits the description on your license.....etc. He cannot just stop and check if you have your drivers license. I know first hand about that.

Your example is badly flawed. Yes, driving on a suspended license is a crime, and yes an officer can't just pull everyone he sees over to check for such a suspension, but...what does that have to do with the point of mine you are allegedly refuting? We're not discussing random fishing expeditions, we're discussing actual crimes. Suppose that driver in your example with the suspended license were to drive on the wrong side of the yellow line, against traffic? A police officer witnessing such a thing would have reason to believe a crime was being committed, because he saw one being committed. By your logic, the officer would have to let the driver go unmolested, unstopped, because seeing a crime being committed does not generate even reasonable suspicion, let alone actual probable cause. And that's plainly absurd.

To move this back to firearms, it's true that an officer has no RAS to stop someone open carrying on the street to do an ID check or demand to see a CPL. Because that activity is a lawful one. But if he sees that same person walk into the over-21 section of a bar or board a vehicle, then the officer absolutely has sufficient reasonable suspicion to investigate the possible crime. If it turns out a crime actually has been committed, then the reasonable suspicion increases to probable cause, and an arrest ensues. If no crime has been committed, then the reasonable suspicion evaporates, and the citizen goes on his or her way. But there is sufficient reasonable suspicion for the officer to investigate.

If witnessing someone commit a crime right in front of the officer does not create reasonable suspicion or probable cause, then nothing does. Have the majority of all statutes in the state been abolished by case law?

sudden valley gunner

So a police officer can never actually investigate whether a violation of RCW 9.41.050 has occurred, since he cannot ask questions and lacks probable cause. He cannot check for a CPL, and must assume one exists, even though the law states that loaded carry in a vehicle is a misdemeanor. That effectively repeals the entire law sine it's completely unenforceable unless the carrier in question confesses to violating it. Good to know, assuming you are actually correct.

Your example is badly flawed. Yes, driving on a suspended license is a crime, and yes an officer can't just pull everyone he sees over to check for such a suspension, but...what does that have to do with the point of mine you are allegedly refuting? We're not discussing random fishing expeditions, we're discussing actual crimes. Suppose that driver in your example with the suspended license were to drive on the wrong side of the yellow line, against traffic? A police officer witnessing such a thing would have reason to believe a crime was being committed, because he saw one being committed. By your logic, the officer would have to let the driver go unmolested, unstopped, because seeing a crime being committed does not generate even reasonable suspicion, let alone actual probable cause. And that's plainly absurd.

To move this back to firearms, it's true that an officer has no RAS to stop someone open carrying on the street to do an ID check or demand to see a CPL. Because that activity is a lawful one. But if he sees that same person walk into the over-21 section of a bar or board a vehicle, then the officer absolutely has sufficient reasonable suspicion to investigate the possible crime. If it turns out a crime actually has been committed, then the reasonable suspicion increases to probable cause, and an arrest ensues. If no crime has been committed, then the reasonable suspicion evaporates, and the citizen goes on his or her way. But there is sufficient reasonable suspicion for the officer to investigate.

If witnessing someone commit a crime right in front of the officer does not create reasonable suspicion or probable cause, then nothing does. Have the majority of all statutes in the state been abolished by case law?[/QUOTE

Nowhere did I state he doesn't have RAS for seeing you break the law, that is actually PC. What I am saying again is that assumptions without facts to back up your assumptions are not RAS. He can't just assume you are driving without a license, he can't just assume you don't have a CPL. Understand? That simple.

I am not even talking about the unconstitutional show me your papers part of the law.

By the way I drove by, next to, and in front of several officers OC'ing on my motorcyle yesterday, they are not fans of me in this town and not one of them felt they had RAS or PC enough to stop me. Wonder why?

If you want to discuss why I don't think you have to show your CPL without RAS that would be a different topic.....not really what I am discussing now.

sudden valley gunner

Interesting case from Florida provided by motofixxer, the legal understanding of PC or RAS applies here....

Regalado v. State, 25 So. 3d 600 - Fla: Dist. Court of Appeals, 4th Dist. 2009
"Despite the obvious potential danger to officers and the public by a person in possession of a concealed gun in a crowd, this is not illegal in Florida unless the person does not have a concealed weapons permit, a fact that an officer cannot glean by mere observation. Based upon our understanding of both Florida and United States Supreme Court precedent,stopping a person solely on the ground that the individual possesses a gun violates the Fourth Amendment."

Same principle would apply to situations a CPL is required here......

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

If witnessing someone commit a crime right in front of the officer does not create reasonable suspicion or probable cause, then nothing does. Have the majority of all statutes in the state been abolished by case law?

Nowhere did I state he doesn't have RAS for seeing you break the law, that is actually PC. What I am saying again is that assumptions without facts to back up your assumptions are not RAS. He can't just assume you are driving without a license, he can't just assume you don't have a CPL. Understand? That simple.

I am not even talking about the unconstitutional show me your papers part of the law.

By the way I drove by, next to, and in front of several officers OC'ing on my motorcyle yesterday, they are not fans of me in this town and not one of them felt they had RAS or PC enough to stop me. Wonder why?

If you want to discuss why I don't think you have to show your CPL without RAS that would be a different topic.....not really what I am discussing now.

By officers not asking for your CPL while riding a motorcycle does not imply they are not able to at another point.

This entire thread has been about being being required to show ones CPL when entering an area where it would be unlawful to carry a loaded gun.

It still stands in State law an Officer can demand to see ones CPL when in an area that requires one, you can rant, rave, through a fit, scream, yell, cry and it still does not change what it is.

sudden valley gunner

By officers not asking for your CPL while riding a motorcycle does not imply they are not able to at another point.

Gotta follow the discussion more carefully Difdi thinks it is RAS OCing on a motorcycle.

This entire thread has been about being being required to show ones CPL when entering an area where it would be unlawful to carry a loaded gun.

No the thread was about showing ID and it drifted, because you and Difdi believe the law in itself creates RAS, I do not.

It still stands in State law an Officer can demand to see ones CPL when in an area that requires one, you can rant, rave, through a fit, scream, yell, cry and it still does not change what it is.

Amusing but typical.

It doesn't "stand" that part hasn't been fought in court I don't believe it would "stand". But of course I am not a positivist.

Last edited: