• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Photo ID with a CPL to OC on a bus?

sudden valley gunner

Hmm, no I did not leave nothing out "Terry V Ohio U.S. 1 (1968) as you suggest.

Just because you do not agree with the RAS surrounding the OP does not mean it did not exist.

Officer observed OP sitting and open carrying a firearm at the transit center, when approached OP he stated the firearm was loaded and that he was waiting to take the bus. Officer asked for CPL since riding in a motor vehicle with a loaded firearm is restricted.

Yes we know there is never enough RAS in your eyes.

You are right there is never RAS in my eyes either a crime is done or isn't done. Do you feel safer sacrificing your rights? I don't. But your fallacy last statement, :rolleyes: is humorous. This doesn't mean I don't recognize the watered down version of our fundamental rights and statist support of cops the courts have forced us to live with.

For clarity sake you did leave a lot out of Terry vs. Ohio. This is you quoted in whole....

What was it Terry v Ohio that came a Terry Stop 392 U.S. 1 (1968)? the Officer observations of Terry and his friends were enough to detain and do a pat down, the Officer did not actually see them commit a crime and likely applies here as well when it comes to RAS.

What you left out is the actions that caused the suspicion of illegal activity that instigated the stop. This is what created RAS, you have to articulate why you believe something illegal is being or about to be done. So pretend the academy accepted you and as an officer Articulate to us the Suspicion of of the OP engaging in or about to engage in unlawful activity. I'll wait........oh and don't re quote the RCW. I get it i read it and it isn't what I am referring to.

I also will reiterate, our state takes a stronger position on government not being able to intrude into our lives, so Terry has a more limited scope of effect in our state.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
SVG you would not know RAS if it bit you in the A$$, no sense in wasting my time, it has already been said by multiple sides.

I know it might blow your mind but I do not agree with how the RCW 9.41.050 is written on the issue but until it can be changed it is what it is.

hermannr

Something interesting on the Connecticut forum...you can go look for the whole thing there, but here is a snip.

BTW: CN it is necessary to have a permit to carry, openly or concealed.

This is one point in a list of instructions for the State Police officers that might be called to the CN Capitol because of an Open Carry rally that was to be held at the state capitol. (this is just cut and paste from that training bullitine)

"State Police personnel should not request individuals to produce their pistol permits unless such individual has become the subject of a law enforcement investigative inquiry for another reason."

So you see, the CN State Police agree with SVG (and me)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Something interesting on the Connecticut forum...you can go look for the whole thing there, but here is a snip.

BTW: CN it is necessary to have a permit to carry, openly or concealed.

This is one point in a list of instructions for the State Police officers that might be called to the CN Capitol because of an Open Carry rally that was to be held at the state capitol. (this is just cut and paste from that training bullitine)

"State Police personnel should not request individuals to produce their pistol permits unless such individual has become the subject of a law enforcement investigative inquiry for another reason."

So you see, the CN State Police agree with SVG (and me)

Well you have your answer then, Head East Old Man :lol: Head East, and I bet they do not have it written as it is in RCW 9.41.050

tombrewster421

SVG you would not know RAS if it bit you in the A$$, no sense in wasting my time, it has already been said by multiple sides.

I know it might blow your mind but I do not agree with how the RCW 9.41.050 is written on the issue but until it can be changed it is what it is.

So under your example, the officers RAS would be. "He's going to get on a bus with a loaded gun and I don't know if he has a CPL."

How is that any different from the officers from my encounter saying "I don't know if you're a felon and it's illegal for a felon to posses a gun."

An "I don't know if he's committing a crime" is not RAS.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
So under your example, the officers RAS would be. "He's going to get on a bus with a loaded gun and I don't know if he has a CPL."

How is that any different from the officers from my encounter saying "I don't know if you're a felon and it's illegal for a felon to posses a gun."

I know you love to square dance and go around in circles in this thread, and I will say it again, It comes down to RCW 9.41.050 where it gives an officer the authority to demand a cpl, in this case the gun was open carry and the owner acknowledged it was loaded and stated his intent to enter a bus for his travel where becomes a restricted area while carrying a loaded weapon.

I know it was brought up also that in another State, stop there it does not matter how they respond or what laws they have on the books. Sure we may like some better then others but the States still maintain law over many areas and until such time RCW 9.41.050 is reworked, removed or even we get to a point of constitutional carry, it is the law, like it or not.

Difdi

A CPL can only be Demanded when RAS or PC that a crime is afoot is known by the LEO...

From RCW 9.41.050:
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

A crime, such as a misdemeanor, perhaps? Carrying a loaded weapon on board a vehicle is a crime. Certain people are exempt from the law, but unless you have your CPL tattooed on your forehead, the officer does not know if you are exempt or not. RAS is satisfied by the text of the RCW and the fact that the OP admitted his gun was loaded and stated his intent to board a bus with it. If he actually did so in front of the officer without unloading it first or displaying his CPL, that would generate probable cause to make an arrest.

My 3000 thousnd post!

You've made 3 million posts? You ARE busy! :p

1: Loaded carry in a vehicle under RCW 9.41.060(8) is NOT a crime. 2: Concealed carry without a CPL is NO a crime under RCW 9.41.060(8)...your problem is you assume guns are illegal and they are not, you assume anyone carrying a gun is committing a crime,,,and they are not. Where do you come from, NY, NJ or MA?

That would probably be because .060 isn't the statute that forbids loaded carry in a vehicle without a CPL, .050 is. And in the text of .050 it states that doing so without a CPL is a misdemeanor. That's a crime, if you're unaware.

I don't assume guns are illegal, any more than you do. What I do believe, however, is that if you break the law in front of a police officer, you will suffer the natural consequences of your action. I was born in Seattle, I've lived in Washington all my life, except for 6 months in Alaska between the ages of 1 and 2.

You just do not understand...we are INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty. Article 1 Section 7 (and the 4A) prevent fishing expeditions by LE. LE must have reasonable suspicion, or probable cause (a higher standard) that a crime has been/is being committed to detain you for questioning. Your CARRY is not in and of itself either RS or PC because it is not a crime to be in possession of a firearm without a license in WA.

I understand the situation perfectly. You are the one who does not. We are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If being innocent until proven guilty made us immune from police investigation or arrest, it would be impossible to prove guilt in a court of law.

While you're right, that carry is not in itself RAS or PC to suspect a crime is or has been or is about to be committed, the same is not true of loaded carry in a vehicle. The OP was asked by the officer if his gun was loaded, and if he intended to board a bus. He said yes to both. If the OP did not have a CPL, he had just stated his intention to commit a misdemeanor in the near future to a police officer. This created RAS for the officer to ask the OP to display his CPL. If the OP had refused to display and/or claimed he didn't have one, and he attempted to board a bus without first unloading, that would be probable cause for the officer to make an arrest.

I see a person walk down the street OC'ing a semi-auto pistol, with mag in place...I watch the person get into the bus...I assume that it is a legal carry (and 99.999999% chance it is, as "those that are up to no good hide their weapons"), and that is also how LE is to observe that same activity also, and if they don't, they need to be trained in WA law.

It is not LE job to infringe on the privacy of the general populous because there is a 1:1,000,000 chance the person is doing something illegal.

Then you assume incorrectly, as you have just witnessed that person commit a misdemeanor. You don't know if they have a CPL or not, and the way the law is written, an observing police officer has reasonable suspicion that a crime was committed, since unloaded open carry outside of places like California is almost unheard of. This RS allows the officer the authority to ask the person boarding the bus whether they have a CPL and whether their gun is loaded. This moves to probable cause if the answers are "No" and "Yes" respectively.

Until you step onto the bus you have not committed the misdemeanor, therefore no detention is allowed, if you choose to consent to an encounter, that is your choice, but the officer has no FACT to base a detention on.

Reasonable suspicion doesn't rely on facts as much as you think it does. If facts are involved, the proper term is probable cause, not reasonable suspicion. Reasonable suspicion is sufficient to stop someone and ask questions. Refusing to answer is, of course, your right. But if you choose not to display your CPL when the officer asks, he can only assume you either do not have one or do not have it with you. If he asked you if your gun is loaded, and you answered affirmatively (or he can see it is loaded, depending on the gun type) and you board a bus without unloading it, he then has probable cause to believe a crime (misdemeanor) has been committed, and can arrest you. Even if you do have a CPL in your wallet.

Fact "he has a gun", all the rest of it is assumptions.

Fact: He has a gun. Fact: He (the OP) stated that his gun was loaded. Fact: The OP stated his intent to board a bus. Fact: This gave the officer RAS to ask the OP to display his CPL. Fact: If he did not display a CPL and did not unload before boarding the bus, the officer would have probable cause to make an arrest, since the OP would be committing a misdemeanor, as far as the officer can reasonably tell.

If the LEO has to stop and detain you and you miss your bus, he had best hope that you are in a forgiving mood or that you are actually guilty of a crime, since I woul;d be rather irate that he caused me to miss my bus. You can bet that the Sheriff or Chief would be getting an earful from me and mine on wasting both mine and the public's time.

The Sheriff/Chief's reaction to the officer would depend on whether you missed your bus because the officer was unreasonable, or whether you were unreasonable. Being a dumbass (on either side of the matter) can only hurt your position.

Vitaeus is right, they have to have RAS or PC your are engaged or about to engage in unlawful activity. An assumption you might not have your papers on you isn't good enough.

If you don't have your papers on you, then the officer has no way to know that you are exempted from the law. Since he does not know you are exempt, if he witnesses you entering a vehicle with a loaded firearm, then he has witnessed you committing a misdemeanor. And your arrest will follow. If you actually do have a CPL, that you refused to display at the officer's request, I would imagine you will be sternly lectured by a judge for wasting everyone's time and money by being a dumbass, and you will be given a citation for failing to display a CPL. In the mean time, you may well spend a few days in jail before getting lectured by that judge, especially if arrested during a weekend. Yes, you have the right to remain silent, but there sometimes comes a point where you harm yourself by doing so.

The thing about civil disobedience is that you must be willing to endure the consequences of your action. If you refuse to display your papers when required by law to do so, you only have yourself to blame for what follows.

Simple. An officer truly doesn't know if you're a felon. But if he witnesses you commit a crime, he KNOWS you are a criminal. That right there is not merely RAS, but probable cause. Not knowing if random people picked out of a street full of people are felons does not generate RAS of any kind. But the OP was approached by the officer, who did a consensual investigation, and asked about the gun and the OP's intentions. The statement that the gun is loaded, combined with RCW 9.41.050 combined with a stated intent to board a bus with the gun is more than enough to generate RAS to ask the OP to display his CPL. Refusing to display a CPL on request by a police officer is subject to a fine. Boarding the bus without unloading after claiming you don't have a CPL (or refusing to display one) is probable cause. You can explain to the judge why you felt like spending the weekend in jail instead of obeying the law.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
From RCW 9.41.050:
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

<snip>

A This created RAS for the officer to ask the OP to display his CPL. If the OP had refused to display and/or claimed he didn't have one, and he attempted to board a bus without first unloading, that would be probable cause for the officer to make an arrest.

Then you assume incorrectly, as you have just witnessed that person commit a misdemeanor. You don't know if they have a CPL or not, and the way the law is written, an observing police officer has reasonable suspicion that a crime was committed, since unloaded open carry outside of places like California is almost unheard of. This RS allows the officer the authority to ask the person boarding the bus whether they have a CPL and whether their gun is loaded.
<snip>

If he asked you if your gun is loaded, and you answered affirmatively (or he can see it is loaded, depending on the gun type) and you board a bus without unloading it, he then has probable cause to believe a crime (misdemeanor) has been committed, and can arrest you. Even if you do have a CPL in your wallet.

Fact: He has a gun. Fact: He (the OP) stated that his gun was loaded. Fact: The OP stated his intent to board a bus. Fact: This gave the officer RAS to ask the OP to display his CPL. Fact: If he did not display a CPL and did not unload before boarding the bus, the officer would have probable cause to make an arrest, since the OP would be committing a misdemeanor, as far as the officer can reasonably tell.

If you don't have your papers on you, then the officer has no way to know that you are exempted from the law.

Very good post... however, we have to ask more questions I believe.

Did the officer ask enough questions to garner whether the OP was exempt via 9.41.060

[h=2]RCW 9.41.060[/h][h=1]Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.[/h]
The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Did the officer ask enough questions to discover if the OP works at a gun store and is on his way to work?
Did the officer ask enough questions to discover if the OP was a member at Champion Arms and was on his way for target practice?
Did the officer ask enough questions to discover if the OP was a member of a gun club and on his way there?
Did the officer ask enough questions to discover if the OP was on his way to the pier to check on his crab traps?

Again your post is great, however, the burden to discover whether an exception is made under .060 is upon the officer.

rapgood

I think that your analogy doesn't hold up because the mere possession of a gun does not create a reasonable articulation of suspicion that the carrier might be committing a crime (felon in possession of a gun). However, if the carrier is possessing a firearm that appears to be loaded (and, yes, I agree that, absent some readily apparent situation, e.g., the slide is open or the cylinder out, it is reasonable to assume that a firearm being carried is loaded), and (s)he indicates that (s)he is intending to board a bus with it, there are enough facts presented for an LEO to reasonably suspect that, absent some exception, the person is about to commit a crime. Boarding a bus with a loaded firearm is unlawful unless an exception is present (RCW 9.41.050(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle. (b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor. Or, the carrier qualifies for an exception enumerated in RCW 9.41.060).

Upon forming a reasonable suspicion that a crime is about to be committed, the LEO has a lawful right (some would argue, a "duty") to determine if the carrier enjoys an exception to culpability. The statute clearly states an exception where "the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol." If the carrier doesn't want the situation to progress to the point of having to produce a CPL upon demand by the LEO, then (s)he shouldn't have allowed the consensual conversation to progress that far. This, of course, begs the question about whether the LEO would intervene when the carrier boards the bus -- which I submit is pretty darn likely!

Regardless of how one interprets the reach of 9.41.050(2) (whether an LEO's right to demand CPL display is absolute or conditioned), I am inclined to believe an LEO has the lawful right to request the production of a CPL in this scenario. Whether the carrier elects to produce it is another matter, altogether (not to mention how a judge likely would not be sympathetic to the carrier not producing it).

Last edited:

hermannr

Well you have your answer then, Head East Old Man :lol: Head East, and I bet they do not have it written as it is in RCW 9.41.050

CN state firearms law is way worse than ours is. They cannot posess a pistol outside their domicile or place of business without permit, for any reason. Your license is a license to carry outside those two areas, OC or CC...same license

BTW: your interpertation of .050 flies in the face of Article 1 section 7 of the WA constitution, and Common Law, which states, you are innocent until proven guilty.

I would be of the opinion that the courts would follow what they, the courts, have stated per other licensed activities,,,,such as driving a motor vehicle...LE CANNOT legally stop you if all they want to do is check your drivers license and insurance, or even check your alcohol level....there MUST be something else first...light out, did not stop at a stop sign/light, speeding, not staying in your lane...something taht could generate a traffic infraction.

hermannr

I think that your analogy doesn't hold up because the mere possession of a gun does not create a reasonable articulation of suspicion that the carrier might be committing a crime (felon in possession of a gun). However, if the carrier is possessing a firearm that appears to be loaded (and, yes, I agree that, absent some readily apparent situation, e.g., the slide is open or the cylinder out, it is reasonable to assume that a firearm being carried is loaded), and (s)he indicates that (s)he is intending to board a bus with it, there are enough facts presented for an LEO to reasonably suspect that, absent some exception, the person is about to commit a crime. Boarding a bus with a loaded firearm is unlawful unless an exception is present (RCW 9.41.050(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle. (b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor. Or, the carrier qualifies for an exception enumerated in RCW 9.41.060).

Upon forming a reasonable suspicion that a crime is about to be committed, the LEO has a lawful right (some would argue, a "duty") to determine if the carrier enjoys an exception to culpability. The statute clearly states an exception where "the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol." If the carrier doesn't want the situation to progress to the point of having to produce a CPL upon demand by the LEO, then (s)he shouldn't have allowed the consensual conversation to progress that far. This, of course, begs the question about whether the LEO would intervene when the carrier boards the bus -- which I submit is pretty darn likely!

Regardless of how one interprets the reach of 9.41.050(2) (whether an LEO's right to demand CPL display is absolute or conditioned), I am inclined to believe an LEO has the lawful right to request the production of a CPL in this scenario. Whether the carrier elects to produce it is another matter, altogether (not to mention how a judge likely would not be sympathetic to the carrier not producing it).

Rapgood! I absolutely disagree. I would argue, I get on the bus with a loaded OC sidearm...I am NOT committing a crime. (I do have a CPL, but let's just forget that for a bit). Common law states we are "innocent until proven guilty". WA state courts have held that LE may not run random sobriety stops (a crime) and they cannot stop you just for driving down the public road (a licensed activity, because of Article 1 Section 7 or the WA state constitution.

The officer that sees me step onto the bus or even just walking down the street with a loaded OC DOES NOT have any reasonable legal reason to require my ID or my CPL, anymore than he has if he makes a random stop to check if I have been drinking. He must have a reason...or he WILL get sued, at least by me he will.

I want to carry my reasoning out a bit farther...lets say I go to Applebees to have dinner. Applebees has as bar area, and a restaraunt area, let's say the restaraunt area is full, so we eat out dinner in the bar area. I now walk out of the restaraunt/bar, get in my car and drive away...all this has been observed by a LE officer...does that officer have a reason to stop me? Just because I have been in a bar???? The answer is the same answer, for the same reason as to getting onto a bus with an OC weapon...think about it. You are persumed legal, and innocent, unless there is some reasonable reason to suspect otherwise.

Last edited:

DCKilla

I waswith you100 percent,,, untill...

There is no exception that allows carrying a gun in a bar,,, that is strictly forbidden...
except for the chosen few,,,, the cops.
The story never said he was carrying a firearm in the bar. You assumed he was carrying.

sudden valley gunner

Humorous. Yet again you fail, to answer the basic questions put forth.

I spelt out what RAS was you haven't.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I don't disagree an officer or Bus driver may ask to see the CPL upon entering the bus.

I do disagree that just seeing someone about to carry a weapon onto a bus properly holstered creates RAS.

You need a license to drive a car, an officer cannot assume you don't have one and demand to see it.

There is a lot assuming going on, he may articulate why he felt justified in seizing you, would it hold up in State Supreme court? I don't think so. Especially if they would look at the rule of lenity.

I don't disagree with how things would work out either have experienced it way too much, what was it you told me "prosecutors ask judges give"?

Is it constitutional not in my opinion.

Last edited:

Difdi

BTW: your interpertation of .050 flies in the face of Article 1 section 7 of the WA constitution, and Common Law, which states, you are innocent until proven guilty.

Your interpretation of article 1, section 7 is absurdly incorrect. We are indeed innocent until proven guilty, in a court of law. If being innocent until proven guilty prevented investigation and/or arrest until after we were proven guilty, then it would be impossible for anyone to ever be proven guilty since it would be impossible to ever gather evidence.

I would be of the opinion that the courts would follow what they, the courts, have stated per other licensed activities,,,,such as driving a motor vehicle...LE CANNOT legally stop you if all they want to do is check your drivers license and insurance, or even check your alcohol level....there MUST be something else first...light out, did not stop at a stop sign/light, speeding, not staying in your lane...something taht could generate a traffic infraction.

In the case of this thread, that something else would be entering a vehicle with a loaded weapon. This would generate reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed, allowing an officer to make a non-consensual stop to investigate whether the carrier are exempted from the law or not. Refusal to cooperate doesn't do anything but get you arrested because failure to provide information showing that you are exempt (such as displaying a CPL) generates probable cause that a crime has been committed.

Rapgood! I absolutely disagree. I would argue, I get on the bus with a loaded OC sidearm...I am NOT committing a crime. (I do have a CPL, but let's just forget that for a bit). Common law states we are "innocent until proven guilty". WA state courts have held that LE may not run random sobriety stops (a crime) and they cannot stop you just for driving down the public road (a licensed activity, because of Article 1 Section 7 or the WA state constitution.

Well, that is your fantasy, but unfortunately, it has little to do with reality. It is a crime to be in a vehicle with a loaded firearm unless you are exempt from the law. But police officers, by and large, are not telepathic. They can only act or not act on what they know and can see. And entering a vehicle with a loaded firearm causes an officer to know that a misdemeanor has been committed. As I already stated, if "innocent until proven guilty" made it illegal for police to investigate crimes or make arrests, even if the crime is committed right in front of them, then it would be impossible for anyone to ever be tried in court for anything, unless they wrote a signed confession of their crime(s). A police officer may not randomly pull someone over to do a license check, but they absolutely can pull over someone who is breaking traffic laws, and while that person is pulled over, they can check for a driver's license.

The officer that sees me step onto the bus or even just walking down the street with a loaded OC DOES NOT have any reasonable legal reason to require my ID or my CPL, anymore than he has if he makes a random stop to check if I have been drinking. He must have a reason...or he WILL get sued, at least by me he will.

And again you are badly mistaken. When you step onto a bus with a loaded OC firearm, you have committed a crime unless you are exempted from the law (RCW 9.41.050). An officer who sees you do it does not know if you have a CPL, but he absolutely does know he saw you commit a crime. He then has a choice; He can inquire as to whether you are exempted from the law, or he can simply make an arrest and let the courts sort it out. You then have a choice; You can obey the law and show your CPL, or you can refuse and be arrested.

If the officer is not allowed to inspect your CPL, then all such incidents will end only in arrests. Because if the officer is legally barred from asking if you are exempted, then he can only act or not act on the information he does have. And that information includes the fact that a crime was just committed. He has a duty to make an arrest.

I want to carry my reasoning out a bit farther...lets say I go to Applebees to have dinner. Applebees has as bar area, and a restaraunt area, let's say the restaraunt area is full, so we eat out dinner in the bar area. I now walk out of the restaraunt/bar, get in my car and drive away...all this has been observed by a LE officer...does that officer have a reason to stop me? Just because I have been in a bar???? The answer is the same answer, for the same reason as to getting onto a bus with an OC weapon...think about it. You are persumed legal, and innocent, unless there is some reasonable reason to suspect otherwise.

You seem to have this truly bizarre blind spot. Are you seriously claiming that seeing you commit multiple crimes does NOT create a reasonable reason to suspect you have committed multiple crimes? Innocent until proven guilty means that punishments cannot be applied without the defendant first being proven to be guilty in court. Being asked to display your CPL is not a punishment, it is an investigation into whether a crime was in fact committed or not.

In the case of your Applebee's example, the officer would not have RAS to stop you unless he saw you acting drunk before driving off. But if he did see you weaving and staggering to your car, he absolutely would have not just RAS but probable cause to pull you over for suspected DUI. Since you are not open carrying in your example, the fact that carrying while drinking being a crime is irrelevant, since in your example, you didn't do that. But if you did do that, and an officer saw you do it, then yes, he has probable cause to arrest you.

Going by your absurd and bizarre interpretation of the right to due process, nobody would have ever invented prisons, since it would be a legal impossibility to ever put someone in one, unless that person confessed to the crime. Because police would never have lawful authority to investigate a crime, because the accused is innocent until proven guilty.

You keep using those words. I do not think those words mean what you think they mean.

I do disagree that just seeing someone about to carry a weapon onto a bus properly holstered creates RAS.

You need a license to drive a car, an officer cannot assume you don't have one and demand to see it.

By your bizarre definition of reasonable suspicion, much like hermannr's, nobody would ever be arrested or investigated, because it would be illegal. The problem is your analogy is stretched to equate two things that are not equal.

Driving a car is like walking down a street OC. Walking into a bus with holstered, loaded OC is like driving 90mph in a 45mph zone. Unless you are somehow exempted from the law, then you must obey it or suffer the consequences. Seeing someone do something that is illegal without an exemption creates sufficient reasonable suspicion to investigate whether that person is exempt; If the investigation determines they are not exempt, that generates probable cause to make an arrest.

Last edited:

hermannr

I waswith you100 percent,,, untill...

There is no exception that allows carrying a gun in a bar,,, that is strictly forbidden...
except for the chosen few,,,, the cops.

The bar illustration was to show that the LEO cannot assume I am drunk just because I just exited a bar. That is all. Not gun related, just for possible crime (DWI) and licensed activity (driving a car) as a comparison.

Can you think of what the judge would say to the officer if the officer stated that the only reason he stopped you was because you walked out of a bar and got in your car?

sudden valley gunner

Entering a vehicle with a loaded weapon is not always a crime (misdemeanor).

This is why I don't think it stands up to RAS, RS, PC....etc.....we have case after case in this state that our Article 1 Section 7 grants us more protection than the Federal watered down Hibbel/Terry version of feeling secure in our person, papers or effects.

To argue the law allows them to ask for CPL is a different argument to me than one of assuming you are going to commit a crime.

I have talked to several lawyers about this and have had varying answers but one of the things that continually come up is that what if you did have a warrant for your arrest for maybe an unpaid bill or missed court date. You were booked and arrested because they demanded to see CPL....your privacy interest was violated, interesting enough something similar was mentioned in Hibbel. Many have agreed that an officer would still need RAS or PC to demand to see your CPL.

Luckily for us we are not a stop and identify state, yet CPL is as brought out over and over again by some here as an ID.......so this leaves some legal, theorizing and opining that the whole thing is just wrong.

DeltaOps

Everyone will have his or her own answer as what to do or not to do. Each individual has a choice and I say you, as a individual, make the right choice you seem fit. I will keep on keeping on and make it to Seattle with no delays. That is my right and just because I choose to cooperate, does not mean I do not nor I ever will stand up for my rights. I fought for all of our rights just as our fore fathers did and I will continue to, but I will be smart about it. Sometimes people take things further than they need to go, and sometimes you just have too. We just need to know the right time to do it. Either way, it is and always will be your choice as to what to do in any situation.

Last edited: