• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why I quote Bible Scripture re. firearm ownership and self defence.

georg jetson

I'm not going in circles, you're setting up a strawman then attacking it. You are claiming that not believing in divine creation makes atheists adherents to a religion. I'm showing you that there are religions that have atheists which propose different creation theories. For the Raelian example, they believe in a static universe that was never created. Theism or atheism is merely a description of part of a religious belief, and not a religion into itself. There are non-religious theists, and religious atheists. It's dishonest to claim that not belonging to a particular pattern of belief is, in itself, a religion. But it seems you're good at being dishonest.

I can agree with you here... Atheism is part of a religion. However, Christianity is part of a religion as well, so making a distinction based on "all" or "part" gets us nowhere.

Tawnos

You miss the point. Gravity in its entirety is observable. Evolution as it pertains to the how a monkey evolved(etc) is not entirely observable.

Gravity isn't observable in its entirety. In fact, we are still trying to explain many of the unknown parts of gravity and why/how it functions at varying scales (from quantum to macro).

georg jetson

Gravity isn't observable in its entirety. In fact, we are still trying to explain many of the unknown parts of gravity and why/how it functions at varying scales (from quantum to macro).

Gravity is observable in it's entirety. If you're in a gravitational field, a force is exerted on you. The only thing left to find out is the "why". However, the explanation is not entirely observable(from quantum to macro).

georg jetson

SNIP

Using the scientific method we realize religion in general for what it is.

This is a generalization. You may "believe" this. I don't. It depends on your religion.

We would LOVE for religious zealots to put their 2000 year old desert scribbling about a cosmic space daddy down, and join the rest of society in creating a better individual life for the greater social structure, WITHOUT the imposition of religious dogma.

Ignoring the generalization that you seem to have used by implying anyone who is a theist is a religious zealot, I can point out why this won't happen. Many of us theists believe that ignoring the deity will result in a declined individual life. Further, some of us theists might think that there is something greater than the "greater social structure".

More to the point, your belief system(religion) is in direct conflict with many theists belief system(religion). We need to find a way to live together in this free country without imposing our religions on each other. I'm not saying you're imposing, but I AM saying that I consider your position as religious dogma as well and therefore, neither "dogma" should be "imposed".

It is scary how beautiful this world is and how vast the universe is without the idea that "God" did it all.

It also is nonsensical to "believe" that intelligence and order came from nothing. It is more logical to "believe" that intelligence and order existed first and that from this, came everything else.

Last edited:

Tawnos

I never ever said I was good thinker. I did say I never believed in God or the Bible. I also said I studied it carefully for many years, and I bet more years than you have???
I've studied it in depth, cover to cover. That was one of the things which led me away from being a Christian, as I was for many years. Trying to rectify the Bible with the world and with itself, without making any special pleadings, led to me saying "well, this doesn't work." I then started studying other religions, to see if any of them worked. Ultimately, I found no evidence of supreme beings or a divine plan. Just a lot of men looking for answers who weren't okay with saying "I don't know yet, but that's interesting, let's keep studying until we know more."

It is written in His Word that God will not condem people, including babies and children, and there are many billions of children and ordinary people throughout the entire world from the darkest central Africa, Central Australia, the Amazon, China, South America, Brazil, and other parts of the world past, present, and future, who have not heard the gospel preached and possibly never will, or have not even heard the Name of Jesus spoken by anyone in their entire lives.

We know from God's written Word that it is His plan for every man to be saved, including you "Tawnos."

"For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;" (1 Timothy 2:3-5).
And in 2 Thessalonians 2, you see the opposite:
" For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness. "
So god is sitting there deluding people to condemn them. Or trying to save them. Guess it depends on what part of the bible you want to believe or ignore.

OC for ME

You are REALLY slow.

You specified that only Christians were targeted, en masse, by Atheists.

I proved that this was not true.
All you "proved" was that five atheists pick on Islam and not just Christianity. Big woop. Did you find "evidence" that other than Christians that the FFRF or ACLU are suing schools for reading the Quran in class?

By the way Chris Hitchens is a "self-described anti-theist" cuz if God is proven to be real then he is off the hook with the atheist community.....and God. I figure his drinking buddies think of him as a atheist or else they too would be anti-theists......or maybe those folks switch depending on the circumstance and who is listening.

Don't blame me. Go call a Mormon a Christian.

Tell me how that goes over.

Hurp de durp.
I guess you didn't select the link to the LDS site, you know, the official LDS site.

Terrible attempt at an analogy.

The only person who is "anti-firearm", is someone who believes they should be anti-firearm.

Oh, and to correct you, Atheists are not out to disprove anything. You really need to learn your terms.

Antitheists are specifically opposed to the teaching of deities, and antitheists put those billboards up.

One may be atheist AND antitheist, but the terms themselves explain why this is true.
Not according to Chris Hitchens or maybe he chose a different descriptor for himself just to keep our discussion going.

False presentation.

Our nation never taught Islam in school.

Please make sense when you post.
If it is in a textbook in a school we are teaching it. When the Quran is being read in school we are teaching it, in spite of what the 9th Circus says.

False presentation.

The overwhelming majority of religious billboards in this country are Christian.

Please make sense when you post.
Sheer numbers, but I don't see Christians putting up billboards trying to convert the "Faithfull" to Christianity. Nor do I see any billboards stating/inferring that Islam is a sham religion based on mythical beings, with adherents who see their "prophet" on a slice of toast.

In a public school I don't care what you do in regards to your religion as long as it doesn't interrupt my education.
You are the very very very rare exception regarding the anti-Christian crowd. The FFRF and ACLU categorically disagree with your position and have put their money where their mouth is.

Gee in our country?

Theres more Christians and stronger Christian support than Muslim?

YOU DON'T SAY?
More Christians? Yep. Stonger support? Depends on who you talk to.

The rest is atheist drivel. Trying to get your digs in cuz I call you a atheist/antitheist and I call myself a Christian does not change the reality in America today. Christians are being "persicuted" by the big two and the other great religions are getting a pass.....with the court's blessings.

Even so, our discussion is not about what you or I beleive/not believe, but what the state and courts force us to do/not do or suffer the consequences.

Tawnos

Gravity is observable in it's entirety. If you're in a gravitational field, a force is exerted on you. The only thing left to find out is the "why". However, the explanation is not entirely observable(from quantum to macro).

I think you're wrong or making a special pleading for gravity to try to falsely differentiate it from our understanding of evolution. We don't observe gravity in its entirety. We see how it acts at a macromolecular level within certain confines, yet don't know its edge cases. Consider gravity at the subatomic level, the effects of the Higgs boson, etc (I mean, ffs, we just showed to a five sigma level that the Higgs boson is likely to exist!). We've observed instances of it, some much more than others, but have only experimentation and observation to fall back upon to explain it.

In the same way, evolution is a theory that we've seen many empirical examples of and have quite a good understanding of on the larger scale. We've even set up experiments (long term e.coli, fruit flies, various plants, etc) that have demonstrated some of the very mutation and speciation events that the theory of evolution predicts should occur. That combination of observation and experimentation is why I compare the theory of evolution with the theory of gravity. Their main differentiation in the theory department is the ease of which the average person can observationally set up a repro. Yet ease shouldn't be the defining characteristic of accepting an important scientific theory.

Steeler-gal

This thread reminds me of herding chickens or directing jello......either way...it's all over the place. I think this subject has been debated since the first christian/non-christian conversation. :cool:

Agreed +1000
It seems like the original topic or point of this thread has been lost or shredded

========================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching Classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Tawnos

Sheer numbers, but I don't see Christians putting up billboards trying to convert the "Faithfull" to Christianity. Nor do I see any billboards stating/inferring that Islam is a sham religion based on mythical beings, with adherents who see their "prophet" on a slice of toast.
billboard trying to convince muslims to become christian
scare billboard by christian group about Islam
church billboard claiming islam teaches murder and jesus teaches peace
threats of sharia law (they may be right, but I think it's the Christians bringing it, not the Muslims)
anti-muslim billboard trying to stop a muslim church (mosque)

generic "jesus is the answer" (the question was "who farted?")
another generic jesus billboard

Anti atheist billboard calling atheists treasonous
anti-atheist billboard claiming we're murderers

claiming that they can "cure" gay as if it's a disease

And there are many others I've seen, those are just what I could find with a quick search.

You are the very very very rare exception regarding the anti-Christian crowd. The FFRF and ACLU categorically disagree with your position and have put their money where their mouth is.
Uh, the ACLU isn't an anti-Christian organization.e.g.

Tawnos

Don't blame me. Go call a Mormon a Christian.

Tell me how that goes over.

Hurp de durp.

I've had it go both ways. Some mormons don't want to be called "mormons", they want to be called "christians". Others go the other way. Most I know go by LDS.

VW_Factor

religion-geography.jpg

slowfiveoh

This is a generalization. You may "believe" this. I don't. It depends on your religion.

The evidence for my position is far stronger than the faith derived nonsense from the religious position.

Ignoring the generalization that you seem to have used by implying anyone who is a theist is a religious zealot, I can point out why this won't happen. Many of us theists believe that ignoring the deity will result in a declined individual life. Further, some of us theists might think that there is something greater than the "greater social structure".

I don't particularly care where you place your belief so long as it does not impede logic, common sense, and rationality.

So why exactly is your "greater purpose" and believed in deity supposedly more sound or rational than every other religion?

Please expound upon this using factual data.

More to the point, your belief system(religion) is in direct conflict with many theists belief system(religion).

I would say you are confused, but truth is, you are not. You are blatantly still trying to equate Atheism with religion. This is false, and I believe at this point you are merely trying to antagonize instead of having rational conversation.

Again, for those observing. Atheism is merely the belief that there is no god. That's it.

It is as much a "religion" as believing my motorcycle is where I last parked it, in the garage.

[video=youtube;DSzttF8EXrE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSzttF8EXrE[/video] (For the lulz)

We need to find a way to live together in this free country without imposing our religions on each other. I'm not saying you're imposing, but I AM saying that I consider your position as religious dogma as well and therefore, neither "dogma" should be "imposed".

Wow. So our country works of a structure. Its structure is based on order, critical thinking, rationality, and evidence. This is purely scientific.

That IS, by far, the evolutionary Atheists standard. That is ACTUALLY WHAT WE USE.

The Christian method would have us conferring with the Bible every single time something came up.

It also is nonsensical to "believe" that intelligence and order came from nothing. It is more logical to "believe" that intelligence and order existed first and that from this, came everything else.

Yeah bro, especially when all evidence points to the contrary.

Thats #1 sensible. :rolleyes::lol:

All you "proved" was that five atheists pick on Islam and not just Christianity. Big woop. Did you find "evidence" that other than Christians that the FFRF or ACLU are suing schools for reading the Quran in class?

Your statements were that "Atheists" were specifically leading a campaign against Christianity.

Those were YOUR words.

I merely showed you that even the worlds LEADING atheists were targeting other religions, but this wasn't good enough for you.

Your scale is broken, get it fixed.

By the way Chris Hitchens is a "self-described anti-theist" cuz if God is proven to be real then he is off the hook with the atheist community.....and God. I figure his drinking buddies think of him as a atheist or else they too would be anti-theists......or maybe those folks switch depending on the circumstance and who is listening.

"Was" a self-described anti-theist. One can be Atheist and Anti-Theist. You guys not knowing the simple meaning of the terms is whats comical here.

Atheist - "Doesn't believe in a God."
Anti-Theist - "Specifically is against the teachings of the presence of a God."

For the sake of decent conversation PLEASE at least know your terms and what they mean prior to engaging in conversation.

I guess you didn't select the link to the LDS site, you know, the official LDS site.

Why would I do that? Part of the family is Mormon and I have Mormon friends. I see Tawnos post and have to say I have never seen one of them not get offended by being called "Christians". Interesting that his experience is dissimilar.

Not according to Chris Hitchens or maybe he chose a different descriptor for himself just to keep our discussion going.

No, Christopher Hitchens was smarter than either of us combined and knew that the term "Anti-Theist" was appropriate because Atheists may or may not have an Anti-Theistic approach.

Richard Dawkins also calls himself an Anti-Theist.

The context is knowing whether one is adamantly speaking against deistic religion or simply does not believe in a deity. One can be either or, or both.

This is why it is so hard to speak rationally with religious nuts sometimes. You don't even know what you're talking about because religion is often believed to provide all of the knowledge or standards necessary to avoid actual education.

If it is in a textbook in a school we are teaching it. When the Quran is being read in school we are teaching it, in spite of what the 9th Circus says.

What the hell are you talking about Dingleberry? Where did I ever give the idea that I was for anything religious being taught in public schools?

Islam can gtfo of public schools as well!

Tawnos handled this quite nicely.

Nothing to add here.

Not true. Most Atheists don't give a rats crap what/how/where you worship or what you read before the big test. What we do NOT want is religious material (such as the Qur'an) being taught as education. I wouldn't even care if they simply used the Bible or the Qur'an as grammatical lessons for English review of writing styles. Who cares so long as it is not being taught as truth.

More Christians? Yep. Stonger support? Depends on who you talk to.

The rest is atheist drivel. Trying to get your digs in cuz I call you a atheist/antitheist and I call myself a Christian does not change the reality in America today. Christians are being "persicuted" by the big two and the other great religions are getting a pass.....with the court's blessings.

Even so, our discussion is not about what you or I beleive/not believe, but what the state and courts force us to do/not do or suffer the consequences.

"Atheist Drivel" usually carries more fact, history, and specificity than religious rhetoric. So I will bank on "Atheist drivel" every time and come out smelling like roses.

okiephlyer

You're conflating definitions. A scientific theory isn't "a guess that appears to work", but "a well-substantiated explanation of the known facts and how they interact based on observation and experimentation." Theory can also mean "a guess", but not in the context of scientific theory, which is why I say you are conflating the definitions.

Not a single instance? Even a cursory search will show that to be false. The recent lie creationists argue is that there "aren't enough 'transitional fossils'". However, you can go through this list of links and find about it:
http://pandasthumb.org/archives/evolution/transitional-fossils/

Or see one of the best documented trails of transitional fossils:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-transitional/part1b.html

Merely asserting "they don't exist" when they're right there, waiting to be seen, is outright dishonest.

The definition was not mine, but from encyclopedia brittanica. If you don't like their definition, take it up with them.

Gaps -
"As we all know, Tiktaalik roseae is a magnificent example of a transitional fossil connecting aquatic critters–fish–with tetrapods, 4-limbed critters. Nevertheless, there are still gaps in that transitional sequence."

a direct cut and paste from your first referenced link.

The science does not prove the evolution theory. When the science is complete, then call me. Until then, I am going back to other pursuits.

Shoobee

the definition was not mine, but from encyclopedia brittanica. If you don't like their definition, take it up with them.

Gaps -
"as we all know, tiktaalik roseae is a magnificent example of a transitional fossil connecting aquatic critters–fish–with tetrapods, 4-limbed critters. Nevertheless, there are still gaps in that transitional sequence."

a direct cut and paste from your first referenced link.

The science does not prove the evolution theory. When the science is complete, then call me. Until then, i am going back to other pursuits.

wiki is a lot more reliable. It is constantly being updated.

Shoobee

I've had it go both ways. Some mormons don't want to be called "mormons", they want to be called "christians". Others go the other way. Most I know go by LDS.

Mormons believe in Jesus which makes them Christian. Some of their ideas like polygamy are a blend of muslim and Christian.

Some of their ideas are very gnostic, an early form of Chistian which the Roman church abandoned. Hence modern Protestants have abandoned it also.

You can divide modern Christianity into 4 broad groups -- Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Protestant, and LDS (mormon). They'er all Christian.

Anyone calling any of these not Christian is not Christian themselves.

The Catholics believe St. Peter founded their church and it has been valid since 33 AD when Peter took over.

The Orthodox believe St. Paul founded their church and it has been valid since 60 AD when Paul took over.

The Protestants believe the Catholics went astray and that Martin Luther founded their church and it has been valid since 1521.

The Mormons believe all the other churches have gone astray and that Joseph Smith Jr founded their church and it has been valid since 1820.

Toss a coin. Or roll the dice. God apparently plays games, and this is one of those games.

Last edited:

Shoobee

After all this chit chat, it is still readily apparent that there is nothing in the Bible about guns or gun rights.

You all are confusing the Bible with the Second Amendment.

They are separated by thousands of years.

Here is my favorite shoobee-tized scripture:

Yay though I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for I am the most heavily armed mother loving son in the valley.

:D

Last edited:

Tawnos

The science does not prove the evolution theory. When the science is complete, then call me. Until then, I am going back to other pursuits.

What an ignorant statement. To paraphrase a quote: "When science is done, it stops."

Notice how you go from "not a single instance" of transitional life forms to "well, there are some that we haven't found"? How far are you going to move those goalposts?

Shoobee

How did we get onto Darwinian evolution?

Darwinian evolution is an hypothesis. It cannot be proved one way or the other.

Same as the theory of relativity. It is a theory that cannot be proved either.

The law of gravity is a law. What goes up must come down. That is, unless you exceed the escape velocity of the Earth in which case it will never come down again, not here at least.