• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beretta92fslady = Accidentally Negligent...

Jack House

So would you guys be a fan of a fingerprint system for handguns, like the one shown in the new James Bond preview? :D One that will only allow the trigger to be pulled if the shooters fingerprints match what it has stored? Not sure how realistic it is, but I'd love to have that on my carry gun.
Nope, cause if my gun's battery dies, I die.

09jisaac

Driving back to the location, I was more scared of a child opening my backpack, police were secondary. The primary reason is that most children are not educated sufficiently in how to deal with a found firearm.

That is a crying shame. Even if you are a strictly no gun person, you should still teach your kids what to do if they encounter something like that. Knowledge is always the best way to keep a kid safe(r) as you cannot protect them 100% all their life.

Beretta, you made a mistake that could have potentially went very bad, but you learned from it. If you never do this again then I say you did good.

twoskinsonemanns

So would you guys be a fan of a fingerprint system for handguns, like the one shown in the new James Bond preview? :D One that will only allow the trigger to be pulled if the shooters fingerprints match what it has stored? Not sure how realistic it is, but I'd love to have that on my carry gun.

Sounds like interesting technology. I'd prolly buy one to play with. Wouldn't trust it to be a SD,HD tool. But I like technology. I also wouldn't support it being mandatory.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

That is a crying shame. Even if you are a strictly no gun person, you should still teach your kids what to do if they encounter something like that. Knowledge is always the best way to keep a kid safe(r) as you cannot protect them 100% all their life.

Beretta, you made a mistake that could have potentially went very bad, but you learned from it. If you never do this again then I say you did good.

Also teaching your children to not go through other people's belongings would help too.

09jisaac

Also teaching your children to not go through other people's belongings would help too.

In this one specific case that would help. I was talking in general how to protect kids. You don't just try to keep them away from stoves, you teach them not to touch the stove as they could get hurt.

david.ross

If only America were more like this...

http://www.thelocal.se/36220/20110919/

TL;DR

Officer forgets pistol while using the facilities at Ikea
Officer tells department
Department calls Ikea and gets a "Yes, we have a pistol here" from Ikea staff(People must forget their sidearm all the time in Sweden :p)
Officer risks warning and possible dock of pay

Last edited:

mpgnc64

Wow, that is why I never carry a firearm in a bag or butt pack. So what would be worse, CC in a store with a "no guns" sign or forgetting your firearm in a area with children?

I'm glad you had the guts to come on here and tell us what happened. I have always known carrying a firearm is a big responsibility, your tale really woke me up.

I don't think you will do that again, but if you do please forget it at my house!

Beretta92FSLady

Wow, that is why I never carry a firearm in a bag or butt pack. So what would be worse, CC in a store with a "no guns" sign or forgetting your firearm in a area with children?

I'm glad you had the guts to come on here and tell us what happened. I have always known carrying a firearm is a big responsibility, your tale really woke me up.

I don't think you will do that again, but if you do please forget it at my house!

I hope to never forget my sidearm again, but if I do, I hope to leave it at a Friendly house.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm probably going to take some heat for this one, but here it goes.

The only reason anybody gets upset about criminals getting their hands on a gun is because not enough people have or carry guns. Think about it. In earlier times, nobody went around wringing their hands over the idea that a criminal might get a gun. Primarily because lots and lots of people had guns. Criminals could easily get them. So what? I've got one, too. People were bothered about the criminality of the criminal, not the fact that he had a gun or any other weapon. It was just a given that a violent criminal would be armed. If everybody had guns, nobody would much care whether a criminal was able to obtain one.

Also, guns were often stored in places not inaccessible to children in times past. Over the mantle. In the closet. Etc. People taught the kids about the dangers of mishandling firearms. It was a different attitude.

So, who wrote the new attitude? And, who put them in charge of writing new attitudes? And, who double-checked to see that their new attitude was actually more helpful, rather than a bunch of hand-wringing presumptions directed at people with enough sense to want to defend themselves rather than the sheep who bleat Kumbaya?

So what if BerettaLady left a gun? OK, I wouldn't go around leaving my gun accessible to kids, either.

BUT! I wouldn't treat it as a of negligence and get worked up over it.

By entering negligence into it we necessarily enter government into it. What we've done is criminalize simple forgetfulness. We've criminalized a basic fact of human nature--that people sometimes forget. Yes, some forgetting is more tragic than others. But, come on. Criminalize a simple case of forgetting? How about we criminalize the negligence of the parent(s) who didn't teach their kids the Eddie Eagle procedure to stop, don't touch, tell an adult?

"She shouldn't forget! Its the law!" Yeah, right. The corollary to that is that if she or anybody else doesn't trust themselves not to forget from time to time, then she should forgo the right and ability to defend herself and kids. Yeah, right. Suuure. You see how this works, right. If a law-abiding citizen really couldn't trust herself to comply with the "law", and she felt the level of responsibility ingrained by the hand-wringers, her only option would be to forgo self-defense with a gun.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

In this one specific case that would help. I was talking in general how to protect kids. You don't just try to keep them away from stoves, you teach them not to touch the stove as they could get hurt.

When I was looking for a new place to live a few year back, I normally just rent a room, one lady told me that I could not rent the room because she was afraid that her grandchildren may/would get into my room and play with my guns.

At that point I no longer wished to live there. Anyone who lets their grandchildren get into someone's room is not someone I could respect.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
If only America were more like this...

http://www.thelocal.se/36220/20110919/

TL;DR

Officer forgets pistol while using the facilities at Ikea
Officer tells department
Department calls Ikea and gets a "Yes, we have a pistol here" from Ikea staff(People must forget their sidearm all the time in Sweden :p)
Officer risks warning and possible dock of pay

This has nothing to do with your post, but rather your signature. You are comparing people who believe in GOD and what is written in the Bible to white supremacists? Can I ask how you have come to your justification for this statement? I have never beat another person who did not do so to me first; I have never spoken hateful words to another because of their skin color or religious beliefs; I have never harmed anyone because they believed something different than myself; I do not believe I am better than someone because my skin is of a different color than theirs; so how can you even subjectively compare the two? The fact that you would slander an entire religion because they do not believe the same things you do says alot about yourself! We have a thing called FREEDOM in this country. Have you heard of it?

Jack House

Well, let's see. White supremacists oppose interracial marriage on moral grounds. Christians oppose same-sex marriage on moral grounds.

What was the difference again? :rolleyes:

Tess

Founder's Club Member

The only reason anybody gets upset about criminals getting their hands on a gun is because not enough people have or carry guns. Think about it. In earlier times, nobody went around wringing their hands over the idea that a criminal might get a gun. Primarily because lots and lots of people had guns. Criminals could easily get them. So what? I've got one, too. People were bothered about the criminality of the criminal, not the fact that he had a gun or any other weapon. It was just a given that a violent criminal would be armed. If everybody had guns, nobody would much care whether a criminal was able to obtain one.

Also, guns were often stored in places not inaccessible to children in times past. Over the mantle. In the closet. Etc. People taught the kids about the dangers of mishandling firearms. It was a different attitude.

So, who wrote the new attitude? And, who put them in charge of writing new attitudes? And, who double-checked to see that their new attitude was actually more helpful, rather than a bunch of hand-wringing presumptions directed at people with enough sense to want to defend themselves rather than the sheep who bleat Kumbaya?

So what if BerettaLady left a gun? OK, I wouldn't go around leaving my gun accessible to kids, either.

By entering negligence into it we necessarily enter government into it. What we've done is criminalize simple forgetfulness. We've criminalized a basic fact of human nature--that people sometimes forget. Yes, some forgetting is more tragic than others. But, come on. Criminalize a simple case of forgetting? How about we criminalize the negligence of the parent(s) who didn't teach their kids the Eddie Eagle procedure to stop, don't touch, tell an adult?

"She shouldn't forget! Its the law!" Yeah, right. The corollary to that is that if she or anybody else doesn't trust themselves not to forget from time to time, then she should forgo the right and ability to defend herself and kids. Yeah, right. Suuure. You see how this works, right. If a law-abiding citizen really couldn't trust herself to comply with the "law", and she felt the level of responsibility ingrained by the hand-wringers, her only option would be to forgo self-defense with a gun.

I don't get your apparent assertion that negligence has anything to do with laws. I can envision any number of negligent acts, whether with firearms or without, that don't break a single law.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
This has nothing to do with your post, but rather your signature. You are comparing people who believe in GOD and what is written in the Bible to white supremacists? Can I ask how you have come to your justification for this statement? I have never beat another person who did not do so to me first; I have never spoken hateful words to another because of their skin color or religious beliefs; I have never harmed anyone because they believed something different than myself; I do not believe I am better than someone because my skin is of a different color than theirs; so how can you even subjectively compare the two? The fact that you would slander an entire religion because they do not believe the same things you do says alot about yourself! We have a thing called FREEDOM in this country. Have you heard of it?

Huh?

His signature says nothing about religions, but rather about religious bigots. Now, if you're including yourself among that group, so be it. david.ross didn't say so.

hjmoosejaw

I agree! Years ago when my dad (who is 91 right now) would walk to school with his brother, they would hunt along the way, to and from school. When they got to school, they would just put their guns in the corner of the room. Nobody ever thought of playing with the guns. The teacher didn't even care. Now, if a kid draws a picture of a gun, they want him to have a psych evaluation.

Beretta92FSLady

I agree. You got me rethinking placing Negligence in the title.--I put it there because I thought it negligent, and figured others would as well...but what you state makes sense.

Beretta92FSLady

Natural law, not moral grounds.

If there is a concrete thing as Natural Law.--Natural Law is derived Moral Grounds. There are plenty of animals in the Kingdom, that engage in same-sex sex...let me guess, they do it in defiance of some Moral, or Natural grounds.

Last edited: