• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beretta92fslady = Accidentally Negligent...

MatieA

So would you guys be a fan of a fingerprint system for handguns, like the one shown in the new James Bond preview? :D One that will only allow the trigger to be pulled if the shooters fingerprints match what it has stored? Not sure how realistic it is, but I'd love to have that on my carry gun.

NO NO and NO and did I mention NO??!!!!!

MatieA

You sure you didn't mean to say NO? :lol:

I believe or am at least 100% sure that I meant no; or did I? Yep I did. :)

1. One more thing to malfunction on a device that needs to work at a moments notice.
2. Someone Somewhere has to store the data (for backup purposes of course).
3. I am not the only person that shoots my pistol.
4. In the heat of the moment can you be sure that you hold it exactly the way it needs done so that it will read your prints?
5. Sweat and/or blood on your hands would more than likely defeat the reader.

I will quit here, but I can think of numerous reasons in addition to these.

Last edited:

Jack House

I can't come up with a valid reason to discriminate against another for their own personal decisions that have no bearing whatsoever on my own life, so instead I'll throw a cop out and run away from the argument. MUST. PROTECT. OPINION.

P.S. here's a 404 link
Translated for you~

SovereignAxe

Apparently MainelyGlock has never used a fingerprint reader himself. In my experience, most of them take 2 or 3 reads before they will work.

Maybe if you could make one that works flawlessly and can read from the trigger, but current technology is nowhere near that far.

twoskinsonemanns

Apparently MainelyGlock has never used a fingerprint reader himself. In my experience, most of them take 2 or 3 reads before they will work.

Maybe if you could make one that works flawlessly and can read from the trigger, but current technology is nowhere near that far.

I think forcing this technology on people would be wrong. But there's nothing wrong with the technology. The biometric scanners I use including the ones at my job and the one I use on my phone every single time I use it, (gotta be 50-100 times a day) work at about 99% first swipe success.

nonameisgood

If you load a single fingerprint into a dedicated reader, you might get rapid recognition, and including electromechanical unlocking, maybe about one second. I doubt you could get faster, and it might not go when needed. Like a built in "do you really want to shoot, count to three, and think before u act". Maybe with a countdown timer so everyone around knows when it's ready, like a shot timer beep.

I think these things are thought up by people with no concept of logic, electronics, safety, nor weapons use. Except the guy making money on them.

Beretta92FSLady

If you load a single fingerprint into a dedicated reader, you might get rapid recognition, and including electromechanical unlocking, maybe about one second. I doubt you could get faster, and it might not go when needed. Like a built in "do you really want to shoot, count to three, and think before u act". Maybe with a countdown timer so everyone around knows when it's ready, like a shot timer beep.

I think these things are thought up by people with no concept of logic, electronics, safety, nor weapons use. Except the guy making money on them.

*draws* *pulls trigger* "Does not compute..." *pu...

At least, in my self-defense situation, that would have been the amount of time that I had. I will stick with the no-brainer, low-tech.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't get your apparent assertion that negligence has anything to do with laws. I can envision any number of negligent acts, whether with firearms or without, that don't break a single law.

:p:D

Work with me here. There are laws against leaving guns accessible to kids. And, there is civil liability for negligence resulting in harm. And, there is the social expectation/attitude thing. I was trying to avoid having to write 15 paragraphs separating criminal, civil, and social. And, then tying everything together.

KBCraig

To twist an old phrase, a .380 in your pocket is better than a Beretta left behind in a backpack.

On-body carry is the answer.

Also, when it comes to prowling children, I'm pretty sure the OP wasn't worried about her own (which were with her), but other people's children back at the camp.

Beretta92FSLady

To twist an old phrase, a .380 in your pocket is better than a Beretta left behind in a backpack.

On-body carry is the answer.

Also, when it comes to prowling children, I'm pretty sure the OP wasn't worried about her own (which were with her), but other people's children back at the camp.

I have a .22 conversion kit for my Beretta, but Glock 19 has one that can actually be purchased now, from AA Arms (or some name like that)...cheaper than a Beretta conversion kit!...I have decided to *switch* to a Glock 19 by the end of this year...I mean to state: I am losing my Beretta 92fs by the end of the year, and I will be without firearms...the ammunition will be disappearing as well.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Translated for you~

The link works fine.

You only need to look at Zimbabwe to understand the racial discrimination of things.

Why would I want to cater to other races who do not create civilizations and in fact destroy them? It's like why would I want to hang out with a bunch of criminals all the time?

http://www.seek-info.com/race.htm Maybe this one will be easier for you to read.

Beretta92FSLady

The link works fine.

You only need to look at Zimbabwe to understand the racial discrimination of things.

Why would I want to cater to other races who do not create civilizations and in fact destroy them? It's like why would I want to hang out with a bunch of criminals all the time?

http://www.seek-info.com/race.htm Maybe this one will be easier for you to read.

I'm not stating that other States aren't packed with criminals, and not-civil individuals; I will recommend that you read-up on geo-political warfare, and how many States are suppressed by U.S. tax dollars--well, now it's debt.

While the major factors behind the declining price are varied and complex, the most significant is the increase in government subsidies paid to cotton farmers in the US, some analysts say. Similarly, agricultural subsidies in the European Union (EU) are cited as major factors in the decline of the world price of sugar. Rich nations of the Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development spent about $360 bn on agricultural supports during 2001, for a range of commodities. The practice of paying such subsidies to farmers in industrial nations is facing increased opposition from developing countries, which charge that subsidies foster unfair trade and flood world markets with cheap goods, thereby eroding commodity prices. http://www.un.org/en/africarenewal/vol17no1/171agri4.htm

Did I mention that I am against U.S. farming subsidies?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have a .22 conversion kit for my Beretta, but Glock 19 has one that can actually be purchased now, from AA Arms (or some name like that)...cheaper than a Beretta conversion kit!...I have decided to *switch* to a Glock 19 by the end of this year...I mean to state: I am losing my Beretta 92fs by the end of the year, and I will be without firearms...the ammunition will be disappearing as well.

I'm confused (not that it is an uncommon state).

- You are going to get rid of your 92fs by the end of the year
- You are going to switch to a Glock 19 by the time you get rid of your 92fs
- Doing the above will result in your being without firearms and thus you will liquidate any ammo in your possession.

Unless step 2 takes place after step one I fail to see how you will be without firearms.

Why you would liquidate ammunition that is common to both firearms is puzzling. I am interested in knowing why you would do that.

Seriously, my head feels better when I do this :banghead: than trying to figure out what you are talking about.

stay safe.

ncwabbit

freedom1man i felt i had to use a governmental level eraser on my hard drive to get rid of all traces of the biased crap link you supplied.

btw, why do you mention zim mate? what type of analogy or point are you trying to make?

wabbit

Freedom1Man

freedom1man i felt i had to use a governmental level eraser on my hard drive to get rid of all traces of the biased crap link you supplied.

btw, why do you mention zim mate? what type of analogy or point are you trying to make?

wabbit

It has to do with civilization. It's a very modern look at race and civilization. I guess I could start going through all the cities in this country have been affected the same way. However I don't have that kind of time on my hands right now.

Did you realize that White heterosexual men are the minority now?

Oh and you call it biased crap, yet you offer no evidence to the contrary, you simply resort to name calling.

Last edited: