• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not having anything in particular to do today for lunch, but wanting to get out of the office, I decided to take a ride on the Edmond City Link bus line and head to my chiropractors office and visit for a bit. No one, driver or passenger on either bus I was on said anything about my open carry. On the way back, one woman did move from the seat behind me to one farther back, but the person who had been sitting there moved and she claimed it was her favorite seat, so most likely wasn't related.

What I did find humorous was immediately behind the drivers seat was a sign that read "No Weapons" and then had the big red circle with a line through it. I read that as "No No Weapons" and felt that I must be complying with their policy. :lol:
If the "no weapons" sign is illegal or improper, would be good to initiate action to having them removed.

hrdware

If the "no weapons" sign is illegal or improper, would be good to initiate action to having them removed.

The signs aren't technically illegal. Concealed firearms are not allowed on the bus, only open carried firearms are.

I'm just the guy that finds the double negative in the sign humorous.

websterz

Open carrying, as usual, in my favorite c-store today when a local police officer walked in. He smiled and nodded, then looked straight at my .45 sitting proudly in its holster. He glanced back up at me and went on about his business. That's the way it ought to be. :D

websterz

Took my daughter and her friend to Starbucks today, open carrying of course, and no one said a word as I was being robbed. $8.00 for a couple of small pumpkin spice lattes?! Someone call the po-po!!

Mosnar87

Why would you shop in a franchise that has made it obvious they don't want your business?

The "request" was pretty clearly stated, at this point I would consider myself unwelcome in Starbucks while armed, and that seems likely to cause potential legal issues if I were to need to defend myself on their property.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy IIIs using Tapatalk 2.

Last edited:

websterz

Since this particular SB is located in the middle of a very gun friendly supermarket I was just curious about their reaction... testing the water so to speak.

horse-whispers

AT&T Texas VS OK AT&T

I got to the AT&T store at 1:30 AM last Friday morning to get in line for the new iPhone. I was prepared for the rain by wearing my FroggToggs. About 6:00 AM I made a run to McDonalds to use the restroom and grab a breakfast meal. I took off the FroggToggs before heading in. I get back to my place in line OCing and not a word said. Most of the people around me were talking about different Apple products and nobody said anything about me OCing. About 7:15 an African-American comes up and ask if he can take my pictue. He went on to explain that his friends were waiting in line at an AT&T store in Houston TX and several of the people were robbed at gun point. He wanted the picture to send to them while they were in line in TX to "show them we had it covered here in OK".... That opened up some conversation from others that had noticed I was OCing but had not said anything. The lady next to me said anyone would be a fool to start something since I had a full clip in the gun plus two more.... another guy asked if I was any good with it.... I got the imprssion they felt safer after the guy had told everyone that people waiting in line at the Houston store were robbed. I am chalking this experince up as a very positive one. I did verify on Saturday what the guy had told me about Houston was true.

creede55

I got my permit in the mail on the 21st of this month. Open carried only a few times so far. Today I was going about the usual weekend shopping at wal-mart in Stillwater and had my first "negative" reaction. The family behind me in line kept a solid 10 foot distance between me and them the entire time I was in line. They didn't say anything but I knew it was because I had my gun on my hip. Other than that I haven't had anything negative. Open carried at a gas station in Tulsa with a uniformed officer behind me in line, didn't even ask to see my permit.

okiephlyer

Steak N Shake on Memorial - dinner with a few other families from school. Met a very nice couple that saw my OC, asked about my carry experiences. They were from the CC crowd, but still positive and supportive of OC. Said they were hesitant to OC but glad that some people did. I said that the most important thing is to always carry. Wished them well and we went on our way.

ddillman

I got my permit in the mail on the 21st of this month. Open carried only a few times so far. Today I was going about the usual weekend shopping at wal-mart in Stillwater and had my first "negative" reaction. The family behind me in line kept a solid 10 foot distance between me and them the entire time I was in line. They didn't say anything but I knew it was because I had my gun on my hip. Other than that I haven't had anything negative. Open carried at a gas station in Tulsa with a uniformed officer behind me in line, didn't even ask to see my permit.

Now, please correct me if I am wrong.....But I didn't think a law enforcement officer could ask to see your permit unless there was "reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed"

"State law requires any person who is carrying a handgun pursuant to a handgun license to immediately notify a law enforcement officer that he/she is carrying a firearm when the licensee comes into contact with the officer during any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop."

Last edited:

hrdware

Now, please correct me if I am wrong.....But I didn't think a law enforcement officer could ask to see your permit unless there was "reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed"

"State law requires any person who is carrying a handgun pursuant to a handgun license to immediately notify a law enforcement officer that he/she is carrying a firearm when the licensee comes into contact with the officer during any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop."

You need to read the rest of that section:

Title 21 said:
The person shall be required to have possession of his or her valid handgun license and a valid Oklahoma driver license or an Oklahoma State photo identification at all times when in possession of an authorized pistol. The person shall display the handgun license on demand of a law enforcement officer; provided, however, that in the absence of reasonable and articulable suspicion of other criminal activity, an individual carrying an unconcealed handgun shall not be disarmed or physically restrained unless the individual fails to display a valid handgun license in response to that demand. Any violation of the provisions of this subsection may be punishable as a criminal offense as authorized by Section 1272 of this title or pursuant to any other applicable provision of law. In addition to any criminal prosecution which may result from not carrying the handgun license and the required identification with the authorized pistol as required by the provisions of this subsection, the person may be subject to an administrative fine for violation of the provisions of this subsection. The administrative fine shall be Fifty Dollars ($50.00) and shall be assessed by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation after a hearing and determination that the licensee is in violation of the provisions of this subsection. Any second or subsequent violation of the provisions of this subsection shall be grounds for the Bureau to suspend the handgun license for a period of six (6) months, in addition to any other penalty imposed.

Any officer can demand to see your license for any reason. Most departments deem it not a detainment if the officer does a glance at your permit hands it back and the encounter is over.

If you want to try and take it to court and get this part of the law declared unconstitutional, by all means, refuse to show your permit but most of us wouldn't have the time or money to see this through to the end.

ddillman

You need to read the rest of that section:

Any officer can demand to see your license for any reason. Most departments deem it not a detainment if the officer does a glance at your permit hands it back and the encounter is over.

If you want to try and take it to court and get this part of the law declared unconstitutional, by all means, refuse to show your permit but most of us wouldn't have the time or money to see this through to the end.

I've just had the understanding that if I am walking down the street and nothing has happened that day, and I cross paths with an officer, he has no right to ask for my permit unless he has reasonable suspicion of me being involved with something. That's interesting. I just understood it to be "under reasonable suspicion". Not just because the officer felt like he wanted to ask.

Last edited:

papa bear

that really has been a divisive thing to have to do it goes against the 4th amendment full force.

but you could compare it to , does the LE check everybody that is driving a car? to see if they have a drivers licenses. no, they will only check if a law has been broken

keep working on your legislature to see if you can get the law changed

Tacamo

First open carry

Open carried for the first time today with my new G26 at Bass Pro shop downtown. It went well, had I guy ask if I've gotten any comments on it.

Gary S

Last couple times while out eating with the family I had people thank me for keeping them safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sixpack73

First time open carrying this evening after work since getting my license last week. I was a little nervous about what I'd say if anyone made any snide comments. Went to Pet Smart for a few things and then Chic-Fil-A for some dinner. Nobody said a word so I guess i will chock it up to a pretty good experience.

On a side note, I have been carrying concealed most of the time till I get a better feel for where the gunbuster signs are. Still getting used to this newfound freedom I guess!

okiephlyer

Another Bug Eye experience

We closed on our new house last week. Our agent was not able to make the walk thru the day before closing so the agent on the other side met us. We spent a little over an hour walking thru and talking to the lady moving out. As we were leaving the house, the agent went bug eyed and said, "Is that a gun?" I calmly said "yes, did you not see it before now?" She said that she had no idea.
She was not offended or scared or put out at all, just surprised. We all had a good laugh about it and moved on.

websterz

So many people have near zero SA. You see them all the time texting, talking, browsing Facebook on their phones while life moves right along without them. No wonder bad guys have it easy... they work in a target rich environment.